iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hours and head gasket

Started by Firewoodjoe, March 12, 2023, 10:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

Does anyone know at what point a head gasket change is not recommended. From what I've been told my engine was rebuilt 5-6,000 hours ago. I have one maybe more bad injectors. Misses in the morning and goes away. And I seen part of my intake gasket sticking out. I don't think it's leaking but I'd like to change it and know for sure whenever down time allows me. What I was thinking is maybe pulling the head have it checked/rebuilt and do injector and Intake gasket at the same time. Lots of oil pressure and no oil burn in between oil changes. I believe a very solid motor with many years to go. Or just fix what's broke kinda thing. 

sawguy21

Can you pressure test the cooling system? You really don't want to dump antifreeze into the oil which will destroy rod and main bearings, that really gets expensive.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Firewoodjoe

It's not loosing or using any fluid. It needs injector work at some point. Technically that's it. 

chevytaHOE5674

I've put head gaskets in engines with anywhere from 1 to 20k hours as needed. As long as the block and head are flat your good to go.

Firewoodjoe

That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks. I'll see where down time and ambition lead me. 

chevytaHOE5674

Only thing I'll caution is once you get the head off and you find the block surface isn't perfect then your stuck doing a major. 

If the head gasket isn't leaking I would leave the head on and replace the intake gasket and pull the injectors in place.

Firewoodjoe

Well I won't argue with that. I'm going to check with the engine rebuilder and see if they did any head work. Prolly will do injectors and intake gasket. The more you convince me lol

chevytaHOE5674

If it ain't broke dont fix it.

Once that snowball starts rolling downhill its hard to stop. Lol

Head off and you notice some cylinder scoring so you say why not just hone them out and re-ring it. Then next you know your doing a major overhaul. Lol

kiko

I agree with above.  Intake gasket and injector.  I would also do a valve adjustmentl at those hours.

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on March 12, 2023, 08:20:33 PM
If it ain't broke dont fix it.

Once that snowball starts rolling downhill its hard to stop. Lol

Head off and you notice some cylinder scoring so you say why not just hone them out and re-ring it. Then next you know your doing a major overhaul. Lol
It is like you are describing me.
  It started by pulling the head to scrape carbon deposits causing detonation.  It ended with boring it out and new; piston, head, rings,  carburator, bearings, and the entire ignition system.

Thank You Sponsors!