iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawmill upgrades

Started by DylanDiGuistini, February 23, 2020, 02:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DylanDiGuistini

Hi all, Below is my sawmill! have it in the shop after the shed roof collapsed. Gave me an excuse to add a few improvements. I was hoping to get some impute and general thoughts. 
Note: I didnt build this, my dad bought it and I inherited it when he passed away last year.

Right now im working a guide rail as I wasn't happy with what was existing 
Cheers

A-z farmer

Welcome to the forestry forum Dylan.There is many members on here that have built their band sawmill.I only see one small blade guide roller bearing I always thought there was two .Someone with the knowledge of building will be along .
Zeke

thecfarm

Looks like your log stops go straight up and down? I put inch marks on mine. I made them all ½ inch less. So 4 inch is really 3½ and 6 inch is really 5½ and so on. The marks really helps out when I am sawing flitches. Lets me give as much support as I can. If I set the head at 4 inches and the stops at 4 inches, I know I have ½ inch of clearance.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DylanDiGuistini

Quote from: A-z farmer on February 23, 2020, 07:17:54 PM
Welcome to the forestry forum Dylan.There is many members on here that have built their band sawmill.I only see one small blade guide roller bearing I always thought there was two .Someone with the knowledge of building will be along .
Zeke
Hi Zeke,
Thank you. I am very excited to be apart of the community.
There is another one, it is just hidden behind the plastic

DylanDiGuistini

Quote from: thecfarm on February 23, 2020, 09:05:18 PM
Looks like your log stops go straight up and down? I put inch marks on mine. I made them all ½ inch less. So 4 inch is really 3½ and 6 inch is really 5½ and so on. The marks really helps out when I am sawing flitches. Lets me give as much support as I can. If I set the head at 4 inches and the stops at 4 inches I know I have ½ inch of clearance.
Great idea! Thank you for the tip, what did you use to mark out the inches?

thecfarm

I used a paint marker, which needs to be redone every so often. When it starts to fad, I just redo it. Simple way to do it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

RAYAR

Quote from: thecfarm on February 25, 2020, 07:32:05 AM
I used a paint marker, which needs to be redone every so often. When it starts to fad, I just redo it. Simple way to do it.
I use a permanent marker, then spray paint it with an oil based paint. The marker will bleed through and be very visible. It will not bleed through with a water based paint. I also mark it on the side that gets the least wear and abrasion for longevity. The number you see above each line is the height above the log bunks.

mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

thecfarm

Good idea!!
 The way I do last about a year. I don't saw much, so that helps. I will have to do that.

Thank You Sponsors!