iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SYP in Iowa

Started by Norm, March 20, 2004, 02:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

We don't get any pine to speak of in Iowa so milling dimensional lumber is tough. I've used some different hardwoods but they are not easy to work with. There was a thread about stamping your own lumber and commented I'd like to get some syp for use here. Noble agreed to cut us up a truck load and last Thursday it showed up at our place. Thank goodness no guineas were included in the load. :D

I unloaded the truck with the forks on my tractor and let me tell you that stuff is heavy, two of the lifts were all my tractor could handle. I stacked it outside the Morton building for the evening and Patty and I moved the smaller stacks in with the tractor today. The longer ones wouldn't go through the door so we broke the stacks down and hand carried em in.

Noble Patty said to tell you that syp is sure heavy, we could only carry in 2 or 3 of the 2x12 16' at a time. ;D

It was around 7 mbf of lumber and really filled up the one side of the Morton. We'll break the stacks down and sticker it in here as we have time. By the end of the day we were both tired.

I can only guess how hard it must have been to mill all this up, sure is cool to know that the trees were harvested and milled by Noble and his son. It's real nice looking lumber and will be great to have around for use on the farm. Hopefully we can talk Noble into telling the process of how they produced it.

Bro. Noble

Norm,

About the guinea,  wonder if that trucker ate him or tossed him out as soon as he left our place?  Said if he didn't quit squaking or started smelling,  he wasn't gonna let him ride in the sleeper ::)

Now as far as producing that SYP------only
god can make a tree.  We just cut them down and sliced them up.   :D :D    Cutting pine is enjoyable for a little while and then I get tired of the smell and sap.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Fla._Deadheader

Shoot fire, Bro. Noble. That smell and fruit blossom smell is like heaven. ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ElectricAl

Norm,

Lumber for the new Saw Shop? ;D
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

EZ

Looks like some pretty nice lumber, Norm. One of my dreams is to saw some SYP some day.
EZ

Norm

Yep it is Al, hope to get started on it this fall. These slight breezes we've been having make the open shed a pain.

I've been milling up black locust 6x6's for the poles and will buy ready made trusses. Patty's been trying to talk me into building our own trusses but I don't trust my engineering skills enough to rely on that.

Fla._Deadheader

Norm. SMWWoody posted a site with downloadable plans for trusses. Didja see it??? It was yesterday. Can't be too difficult to find it. I put it in "Favorites". Neat stuff ;) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

J_T

Thusses an't no trouble. make a pattern build the next one on top of it . Bet you would do a better job than most Co's If you got prints or plans it would be easer . 8)
Jim Holloway

shopteacher

Hey Norm, that's one beautiful building you got there.  I've been milling some black locust for deck boards. I plan to rip off all that wolmanized garbage and redeck with locust.  I got some nice big logs but have a hard time getting much of a yield out of them. They sort of grow in a clover leaf shape and when sawing the boards split along the fissures. I have been slowly accumulating it though and hope to have enough this summer to do the job.
  I had my construction class build the trusses for my barn. I went and bought enough 3/4 plywood to form a flat surface and we layed out the pattern on them. Screwed all the locator blocks for the chord and web members to them and set to cutting all the pieces.  Poped them in place and used 5/8 plywood for gussets and glued and nailed them together with the nail gun. Came out great. Built 22.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Bro. Noble

We build our own trusses using the plans from 'the midwest plan service'  someone posted a link to these or they should be available at your local extension office.

milking and logging and sawing and milking

smwwoody

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

smwwoody

Jeff,

is there any way you could put a link to those free truss plans some where on the forum?  

don't know if that is legal or not
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Fla._Deadheader

First chance to saw some REAL SYP, since we changed to them Munks Blades. Had 3 logs layin in the back yard, that have been out of the river for over 2 years. Them was hard, and got that stinky Turpentine smell, BUT, sawed like a dream. 8) 8) 8)

MAY have to trade them Planers for a Logosol Moulder-Planer :o ;D  I can see a LOT of Old Pine Flooring taking up a bunch of our cuttin and makin time. ;) ;) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!