iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawlex 2009!

Started by Jeff, May 28, 2009, 08:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Glad ya found someone ta talk to.... 8) 8) 8)

Nicer day today?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JV

Bigger crowd today including several forum members.  Sun was shining, less mud, all around better day.  We got to see a bit of the sawmill shootout and watched the log splitter shootout.  Those guys were pitching some wood.  Everyone is headed home, some with a long way to go.  Good show but I goofed and missed Tammy's brownies.   :(
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

woodhick

Well I was there yesterday, but did not get to meet very many members.  When I first went by the booth it was very busy and I decided to wait and go back to meet Jeff and the others.   Well I went back two different times and they were in seminars or out.   Would have liked to meet you in person Jeff and thank you for all you do for this site in person.   Maybe next time.  Was a good show.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

neslrite

what a great time I had meeting members I haven't met before and visiting with those members I have met before! 

Bibby - your caption is right on.  I was telling about a crazy phone call I got.

DanG - yours was also right on except I was telling it to DRBuck when he came over to get his brand new arch.  Several times during the show he would come and check on it to make sure we didn't sell it to someone else.  Every thing was fine until he went to get his truck, while he was gone the arch just disappeared!

Hope to see you all again at the Pig Roast!

TamIAm
rule#1 nobody ever puts just one nail in a tree  LogRite Tools  www.logrite.com

Jeff

Pulled into Harrison around 2 AM This morning.  Tammy met Burlkraft and I in Maumee Ohio where we swapped pickup loads.  I was all set to start posting photos this morning but found out about three hours up the road from Maumee that my camera was still behind the seat in Steve's truck.  :-\

Woodhick, Sorry I missed you, next time just dive into da fray. I'm not sure how many members we had at the show, but I think we beat the Amish again. :D   

Saturday was a much nicer day. I didn't get a chance to see any of the shootouts myself as we were constantly busy in the Forestry Forum's area meeting people. We had many many people stop and seem very interested in why there was this crowd of people was always hanging out there talking and laughing.  We had a roll of 1000 tickets for people to sign up for our little giveaway drawing and used most of it.  Sawmill and Woodlot Magazine was signing people up as well, so we must have had well over 1000 entries total for the drawing. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

I got home about 7:15 last night.  The weather sure was a lot nicer going back and I was able to enjoy the views of western MD. 

I think people were hanging around because of Kitty.  I don't think that anyone has mentioned her, but Kitty is DR_Buck's bride.  She was always there to help out with whatever was needed at the booth.  I know she had a good time, and it was a pleasure to meet her.

The next time we'll have to have a sign-up sheet so we can keep track of the members that drifted in or out.  I don't think I could give a list of all those that I have met.  Its sure nice to be able to put a face with a name.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

Yep, I don't know what we would have done without Kitty.  She is my Hero. :)   We also had a lot of help yesterday from Little Miss Fishpharmer. :)   She passed out tickets and was a general help around the booth for much of the day. She is fishpharmer's daughter. A very nice and helpful young lady. :)

I meant to have some sort of sign in "object' and somehow that escaped me. The first Sawlex we had a table that everyone signed in on. That is now in our living room as one of our end tables. The second Sawlex we had a thin redwood board from the giant redwood in Wisconsin.  I was looking for something to sign the first day and then dropped the ball somehow.

DR Buck really added a cool addition to our display with two flat screen monitors running slide shows of forum photos.

Captain

Just got home from the airport, my day started at 03:30 this morning with a drive to Pittsburg. 

As always, I've got some great memories from this trip...now planning for the Pig Roast..

Captain

katie-did

Part Timer is on his way home.  move_it When out to breakfast with the Peterson boys this morning before he took off so he will not me in till 2:30- 3:00.

He said that he had a blast.  8) Not sure how much of the show he got to see cause he spent most of his time at the Peterson Booth but I know he said that he saw a lot of FF members.

Wish I could have went but had to stay home with the kiddy's because they still had school and Zack had finals on Friday.  >:(

Planning on making it to the Pig Roast I would hate for Jeff to have to retaliate against me  :-[ for not showing up. If I can just get PT's work to keep that weekend free we will be there with bells on.  smiley_jester

Hope Steve will be getting some zzzz  zzzz_smiley then posting your pic's Jeff so we don't have to wait. PT did not get many pic's but some video of the machinery for the kids.
Part Timer's Boss & CFO smiley_angel01_halo

Dan_Shade

I had a great time at the show, it was a blast hanging out with the crew and BSing.

If the politicians would only do what GMMills and I told them, we'd be set!

I wish I had got to meet the other forum members that I missed (of course, I forgot my hat too :( )
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

katie-did  ;)   I knew that might draw ya out. Part Timer told me he called ya and you told him to put in for his vacation.  We missed ya last year and looking forward to seeing you in about 61 days. :)

Dan, Cedarman asked about hats which I did not have, but declined my offer to use my artistic license and red indelible marker on his forehead.  I told him he had ample room. :D  Anybody get a picture of the biker gang that invaded the forum booth Friday afternoon?

Burlkraft

I am finally out of bed   ::)  ::)  ::)

I got home around 4:30 am....I think  :D  :D  :D

I had an interesting trip back. My truck window decided not to go back up on the Indiana tollway, so I rode the rest of the way back home with it down. 44° was just what I need to stay awake anyway.
Forgot to get gas before I got to Chicago and had an interesting short fill up at 2:00 am on a side street on the south side of Chicago. It was a NASCAR type pit stop for enuff gas ta git to the north side suburbs  ;D  ;D  ;D It cost me $5.00 to git a couple of my windows washed while I was there, but well worth it!  :D  :D  :D

I'll post some pictures later seein' how I got my camera and Jeff's. I also came home with a pan of Logrite Brownies that Jeff also forgot  8)  8)  8)  8)

Jill seen them and said I ain't gonna git any of them  :'(  :'(  :'(

I had a GREAT time. I met a lot of members I have just talked to in the past. Despite the rain and mud it was a great show.

That Custom Sawyer is quite a character, but Cedarman and Jeff out did him at dinner on Friday  :D  :D  :D
That was one of the funniest things I ever seen at a meal with FF members!  :D  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

One of the funniest things I've seen in a long time happened between a man and a dog in a deserted Maumee parking lot on the way home from the show. :)

Burlkraft

You better be careful.......I got a couple of things I could also tell  :-X  :-X  :D  :D

Jeff

I think I have amnesia.

beenthere

Quote from: Jeff on May 31, 2009, 03:05:53 PM
I think I have amnesia.

Came on all of a sudden ?  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Jeff

For the drawing for the woodburning at Sawlex, we only asked for a name and number. We said we would give a call to the winner and get an address.  Well, I just gave a call to the winner and was surprised to find that they were from Michigan! Actually, if I would have known, it would not have been that far out of the way to deliver the woodburning on the way home, although I'm not sure Gary would have been thrilled for me to call him at midnight to tell him he won. 

Gary seemed to be pleased that he won, saying that he never wins anything just like the rest of us. Now he can't say that any longer. :)  He's never heard of the Forum before, but I hope he looks us up now and joins in.  If you find this message Gary, it was a pleasure to talk to you this afternoon and thanks for stopping by and registering for the drawing. :)

Cedarman

Got home a little while ago.  It was a great couple of days.  Custom sawyer and his wife make a great pair.  He and I are going to have to get together for a BS shootout.  It was a very nice evening at dinner.  It was the orange slices in the beer that caused the commotions.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Mr Mom

I was there and met some members.
I had a good time and so did the family.
Met Jeff and fishpharmer.
Bought a logrite canthook from kevin's wife she helped decide on what to get( cant rember her name very sorry  :( :( :(very bad with names).
They were very friendly and helpful.
I got to try a brownie. The only thing that i can say is DAM they were very good.
Met some members for other fourms that i belong to.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Dan_Shade

well, I missed out on Mr. Mom and Part Timer!

next time, I may wear a suit with flashing christmas bulbs or something, so you guys can find me ;D
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

gunman63

so  who won the firewood processor shootout ???????????

TeaW

I was there Gunman , I can't say fer sure who won , but it was a good show. Morganstown is a real nice spot and everyone we met were great. Talked to a few FF members but every time I went by the FF both they were eating and I didn't want to come between those big fellas and lunch!
TeaW

Burlkraft

Ya shudda stopped in...We wudda shared  ;D  ;D  ;D

According to the staff at Sawmill and Woodlot there are no winners or losers. It's just a demonstration. The results will be tabulated and be published in the next issue.

I do know they made a big bunch of firewood. A kiln load of containers was dried Friday night. All the boards and firewood was sold and the money donated to a local charity.

It was an awesome show  8)  8)  8)

JV

It was definitely an awesome show.  I had a chance to talk with Ron W about ID'ing wood through end grain tissue samples using a microscope.  Also had the fortune to meet and have several conversations concerning the same with Larry Osborn, a Research Associate with the Appalachian Hardwood Center at West Virginia University.  He returned on day 2 with lots of reference material to go through.  Hopefully, he will become a member.  He would be a valuable asset.  I had a box with several wood samples that I hope to greatly expand in the future.  Thanks all for a great time.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Thank You Sponsors!