iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mods for a 460 Mag

Started by Ga_Boy, March 08, 2006, 06:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga_Boy

****************UPDATE***************************

Check out the sawing board for pictures of the tree; the thread is "Parbuckling Big Logs".   We got the contract to do a removal of the tree, work starts next Tuesday.

I may need to make 4 to 5 cuts on a White Oak that is a little over 5 feet in dia.  This beast went down in a strom and the customer wants me to sawmill it for him.  I need to knock the stump off and buck it to lengths so I can set up my Peterson on it and reduce it to lumber and saw dust.

My 460 mag is a little over 6 months old, I run a 20" bar for daily use but have a 32" bar for the occasional large stuff.  What "Mild" mods can I do to allow me to run a 48" bar?

When I say 'Mild" mods I am thinking opening up the muffler and larger air cleaner to let it breath eaiser. 

Will these mods give the saw enough power to pull a larger bar through White Oak?

The best option is to buy a 660 or 880, but trees like this are few and far between for me, so it is hard to justify the cost of a larger power-head.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Kevin

Any chance you could rent a large saw for a half day?
We have a few rental shops here that have saws.

fishhuntcutwood

Even with a factory dual port muffler cover, 48" is asking alot from a 460, too much if you ask me.  Why do you need a 48"?  If it's 5' in diameter, a 32" bar from each side would work, which is within the realm of a 460.  You asked for simple mods, so go to your dealer and get a dual port cover, P/N 1128 140 0801 for about $30, retune your carb, and your 460 will pull your 32".  Keep your airfilter clean, and that's all you can ask.  I don't buy into the high flow type air filters.  The limiting factor is your exhaust.

Only with aggressive, internal saw mods will a 460 even begin to be comfortable with a buried 48", and even then it'd be a stretch.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Ianab

Yup, gnaw away at it from both side, as long as your bar will reach 1/2 way thru you will be fine. Even if your cuts from each side dont meet exactly the long grain will snap off with the weight of the log or a whack on the wedges.

You should find you can do the 2 shallower cuts in less time than it takes to drag a really big bar thru it.

We take down and buck 36" trees with 20" bars all the time, no problemo

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Alta

And have you priced those 48" bars lately? You'd use it a couple times, probly find the saw wont pull it, and end up with a really cool and somewhat expensive wall hanger - there is always Ebay tho...

Reddog

Quote from: fishhuntcutwood on March 08, 2006, 02:43:09 PM
Even with a factory dual port muffler cover, 48" is asking alot from a 460, too much if you ask me.  Why do you need a 48"?  If it's 5' in diameter, a 32" bar from each side would work, which is within the realm of a 460.  You asked for simple mods, so go to your dealer and get a dual port cover, P/N 1128 140 0801 for about $30, retune your carb, and your 460 will pull your 32".  Keep your airfilter clean, and that's all you can ask.  I don't buy into the high flow type air filters.  The limiting factor is your exhaust.

Only with aggressive, internal saw mods will a 460 even begin to be comfortable with a buried 48", and even then it'd be a stretch.

Jeff

I am with Jeff on this one. I use a 046 with a dual port and I drilled another port next to the factory one of the side same size. I do use the Maxflow filters. I feel it gives it just a little more on the top end. I run a 28" or a 32" with full skip RS chain and cut all hardwood. Just go at from both sides.

rahtreelimbs

Quote from: fishhuntcutwood on March 08, 2006, 02:43:09 PM

Jeff

Jeff if you $10 for every time you promoted that dual-port cover you could buy a new saw!!! :D :D :D
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

fishhuntcutwood

Quote from: rahtreelimbs on March 09, 2006, 08:28:01 PM
Jeff if you $10 for every time you promoted that dual-port cover you could buy a new saw!!! :D :D :D

HA!  True.  But what can I say?  It's a simple bolt on that even the guys who ask, "How can I get more power from my 044/046?" can do.  (No offense intended toward you Ga_Boy.  ;))

Like someone on another forum, I think it was Russ, said, "If you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be doing it yourself."

Plus, it's warrantee-safe, looks good, and it keeps guys from going overboard with an inch and a half hole in the side of their muffler.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Ga_Boy

Thanks to all for the assistance on this.  It took me a few days to put my proposal together for the home owner.  I was too busy trying to calculate weight, lumber yeild and costs.  I did not have time to really think about my 32" bar. 

You guys are right on; at 5' 3" diameter (16' 6'' circumfurance) my existing bar will do the job.  But I do like the idea of letting my saw breath easier, so regardless if I get the contract I'll add the new muffler.

For a few stats that I discoverd while drafting my proposal; all values are calculated......

This tree will yeild some where around 8 and 10 Mbf of lumber.
Main trunk weight 38,000 lbs  - its 30'
A 6' Log weighs in at 10,000 lbs
The adverage house in the US of A uses about 12Mbf of lumber to complete, framing, floors and trim work, this tree will produce enough lumber to almost build a house.
If I dry stack the lumber I'll have three stacks, each stack would be 8' high, 4' wide and 8' long

This is a boat load of wood from one tree.  There are 4-5 very nice crotches, I am seeing lots of table tops there.....

If I get the contract, I'll post pictures.  When I surved the job site, I stood beside the trunk and I could not reach the top of the trunk.  I did see some concrete in the stump hole, it looks like someone did a repair job on the tree 20 years or so ago and filled a void with concrete.  The top has been wired together, there is cable and turn buckles tangled in the top.  I figured it will take a day of prep work just getting it ready to bring in the mills.  The metal detectors will get a work out on this job.

The local arboists socity has identifed this tree as a local historical land mark, there is a nice plaque there certifying the tree was standing during the Revolutionary War.

Now, we wait.....

Mark

fishhuntcutwood

Quote from: Ga_Boy on March 10, 2006, 05:52:25 AM
...if I get the contract I'll add the new muffler.

Mark, remember that you don't need the entire muffler.  Just the cover.  It's the difference between about $65 vs. $30.

And thanks for not taking what I said about guys asking for more power the wrong way...I hope you didn't.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Ga_Boy

No worries Jeff, for me I do not mind spending a little more to buy quality tools, so when I hear of a way to make the tool work better and/or last longer; well that is a no brainer.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Al_Smith

You shouldn't have any problems running a 32" bar on that 460,perhaps a 36".I have a 32" on one of my 048s' and it handles it with ease.Being the same cubic inchs and same power ,I would guess the 460 should do likewise .

Alta

OK because of you guys I ordered a few dual port covers and I'll do some testing after re-tuning and post results. Should be interesting. I've never done any mods to our saws (038s through MS 460s - some of them over 20 years old and still doing well) but bolt on stuff like this should be pretty harmless so I'm willing to check it out. If you have any other simple mods that don't affect reliability, Id like to hear about them.

Ga_Boy

**************UPDATE************************************

The contract was signed yesterday, we start work next Tuesday.  Check out the sawing board, the thread is "Parbuckling Big Logs" for pictures of the tree.

Thank You Sponsors!