iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eastern red cedars

Started by Momatt, April 18, 2015, 07:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Momatt

I have 5 to maybe 10 or acres of these at my farm in central missouri.  They are about 50 years old or so and grew tall and close together.  Looks like there is 20 foot or so without much taper, they are round not much lobed. Most are about 10 to 12 inch diameter breast height.  Would these be any good to timber frame a small 16 by 24 cabin?

Is there any commercial interest in these is my other question as 6 x6 or 4x4 cants?

Magicman

I will let someone in that market answer your ??? but welcome to the Forestry Forum, Momatt.

You can edit and turn those pictures.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kgb12158

Do you mean Aromatic Cedar?   I've worked with Aromatic cedar and it looks great with the white sap wood and dark red heart.  We used it for knee braces in our home.   This Cedar would be just as good as most soft woods for timber framing.  It's harder/stronger then White Cedar.  You would get a wainie 7X7 or a better 6X6 from a 10-12" log.  I think they would make a good cabin material.  My only concern is the odor.  I would not be able to live the cabin until the odor was gone.   Send us some pitures if you ever get built.
Good Luck
Kim Balfour Timber Framing since 1986, Woodmizer LT40 HG, and 52" Lane 00 circular Mill.
Only 23 months to full time timber framing

jaciausa

I have  about 30 acres of ERC . I have some 20 inches and 25 feet tall.  Some are even bigger.I want to use them for a live timber frame shop & home. I have started the plans and have the foundation in for a 40 x120. I hope to use a 12 x 12 roof with a scissor truss to 6/12 like a conventional truss company would build. I would use smaller trees for the top and bottom cord and even smaller for the bracing. It would be a lot of fitting because everything would be fit to irregular surfaces on each truss. I have put up a lot of homes with conventional scissors and I believe it could be engineered similar to one designed on the same spacing between.  ERC is a problem for most but the trees you got is what I think should be used. I got some huge hedge I plan on using and some locust also. Good luck with your build!

Thank You Sponsors!