iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting and Milling Trees

Started by sparas84, July 31, 2014, 04:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparas84

Hello,

I'm new to this forum so I apologize in advance for any ignorant questions.  I have just purchased a 1.3 acre residential lot in Atlanta, GA.  I have quite a few trees that I need to be cleared.  The initial option that crossed my mind is to just pay to have it cleared but I started wondering if the trees could prove useful to any timber/lumber/milling companies.  I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on finding someone that would have a mutual benefit to removing and keeping the timber/lumber from my yard that I could reach out to and save me the cost of just paying someone to knock down and remove the trees.

Thanks.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum sparas84, and the only ignorant questions are unasked questions.

Your tree clearing might involve city ordinances, neighboring property owners, etc.  There may be several FF members here that might be interested.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, sparas84
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Clark

It seems unlikely that you wouldn't be able to find someone to take the logs once they are horizontal.  You may have to pay to get them into the horizontal position, especially considering the size of the lot and any nearby property and utilities. On top of it, MM brings up a good point about local restrictions.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

sparas84

Thanks. 

I've researched all the Tree Ordinances and from that angle I'm good with all the conditions.

I know that it varies greatly but in terms of clearing trees do most companies remove one by one or remove multiple at a time to increase efficiency?

mad murdock

Welcome Sparas84.  As to your questions about trees, much depends on species, size, and quality of the tree (log).  The other factor is who is in your area that buys the type of logs that would be produced from the trees you are taking down.  Updateing your profile with your location would help other members some.  Most people in the logging or mill business (large commercial), are looking for truckloads of logs to be sent to a mill, or produced off a lot.  Your parcel being as small as it is, and if has been residential for years, may present some issues with a mill as to worries about hidden metal in the logs, etc.  I don;t think your trees would be worth a lot, unless they were some high grade hardwood, such as Blak walnut, or Really nice export or veneer grade oak or maple or again walnut, etc, etc.  If they are softwood, they would have to be in a fairly dense stand with minimal limbs on the main portion of the tree (except the crown), to be of any sizeable value.  If you just have a load or 2, of average wood, might be hard to get someone to take it out, just for the cost of giving them the wood, (without you having to pay extra for the service).  If you want stumps removed as well, that is a whole 'nother matter entirely.  Extra expense for the guy taking the trees, and more equipment needed to do the job. Really not enough info on your first 2 requests to give good advice.  If you think you have valuable wood, then maybe get a county forester to come look at your lot, and see what they recommend.  They don't cost anything, as it is a gubment service. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

GAmillworker

Welcome Sparas84,

I'm in Atlanta several times a week.  I would be glad to look at your land and trees and give you my two cents worth.

Daniel
Thank the Lord for second chances

drobertson

tree services charge, no doubt about this,  species, size and junk in the logs plays a big role. It can be a pain for all parties, but at the same time can be a good thing if all goes well.
Sounds like you will have to visit with a lot of folks, and pick the one who strikes you as the one to go with.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

glassman_48

sparas,
Welcome to the forum, be careful of liability issues too.

Thank You Sponsors!