iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

out door wood stove

Started by beav39, February 22, 2008, 01:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beav39

just recently in stalled an out door wood stove .just wandering how many guys have them and how do you like it.i really like theone i have huge savings on fuel
sawdust in the blood

trapper

my wife loves it. I fill it when i go to work and before we go to bed aand she never has to touch it. temepature in house is constant and we use it to heat our domestic water also.  Fire up about once every 3 days for all our hot water in the summer
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

ronwood

I have a Central Boiler to burn all my wood scraps. Heats my home and shop.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

thecfarm

beav39,what kind you have? I just had a Heatmor installed.Really like the way I can get rid of my dead and rotten wood.Here's a tread that I added some comments to.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=22620.msg362196
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

9shooter

I inherited a home built a few years ago. Actually I bought it from my Father-in-law for $500. It is a bit undersized for the load I put on it and is not very efficiant. Other than that it has saved me lot's of $ and I don't have to go to the Y anymore to stay in relative trim. 8)

I reserched the heck out of them and was going to build one myself but got talked into the homebuilt because it was so cheap. I have been working on designing a wood gasification stove, and may build a 1/4 scale prototype soon to test out some theories. I have built 1 for another guy. It was an old design similar to the one I have, but again, I doubt it is 50% efficient. All that being said, I love going out to my woodshop and working in shirt sleeves.
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

beav39

cfarm ,i have a emprye cozy burn 250   i fill it with softwood slabs about every16hrs or so    ive burned green,rotten fozen and everything else i can find to put in it and it all burns great!very good investment
sawdust in the blood

treenail

I installed a Central Boiler at my girlfriends house two heating seasons ago, and although it means cutting a good sized batch of firewood  to run it, the savings on fuel oil are incredible. It also provides all of the household's domestic hot water needs. It sure is a lot nicer to keep all the mess outside the house too, so there isn't any dirt, smoke, etc. With the cost of oil so high, it has basically paid for itself in savings already.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 sawmill , Ford 4wd tractor,Grimm/Leader maple sugaring equipment, Ford F-350 12' flatbed truck

woodmills1

bought my free heat machine when it cost me $3400 to be chilly in my heat monster of a house.  This is my third winter, and it is warm and I have not bought any oil. I figure I hit the break even point at the end of october.  It takes a lot of wood to keep this place warm, but before the best I could get most of the house was around 60.  Also, my electricity for hot water is less then 8 bucks each month and that has a meter charge in it.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

rebocardo

I hope to eventually go to an outside stove/boiler to nix my electric hot water heater. I would love to go solar for the pump and do something geothermal too with a heat pump. I really do not see a 500 gallon tank inside my house somewhere.

brdmkr

Does anyone in the Deep South have one of these?  I often think that I would like to have one when we build our house, but I wonder if it would ever really be cost effective down here.  Sometimes I think I am just trying to figure out something to do with the waste from the mill (other than letting all the BTUs go uncaptured).  I have even thought about a wood fired kiln, but I wonder how well these external wood stoves would work with that.  It seems that they are not designed to  provide the temps that are often used with kilns and I know that a bonafide boiler would be needed if you went with a really high-temp kiln.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Bob Dilts

We have a Wood Doctor converter,use it to heat house,garage,hot water and hot tub.Burn mostly cedar slabs mixed with a bit of hard maple.Burns fairly clean which is good because it is close to the hot tub.   Bob.
Mobile Dimension 128,D&L Double Cut,Gehl skidsteer,Logosol planer,Husky saws.

Don_Papenburg

Brdmkr,  Get a pool or hot tub to justify the outdoor heater.  For ahigh temp kiln you will need to build a dedicated masonry unit . DanGs neighbor built one .  also you could build an outdoor retained heat oven. I have one that uses wood fires for heat .it takes three to four hours to get up to temp and up to three days to cool down.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

PineNut

Brdmkr, I have an outdoor furnace and have enjoyed having it. When I put the figures to it, I don't think it is likely to pay for itself in the near future. But it has made my house a lot more comfortable and I added a small greenhouse, which I would not if I was burning fossil fuels. Just make sure you have a good way to handle the firewood.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Brdmkr,

I removed a no-name insert from my house, due to a
problem I discovered with it.  What I have considered is
just using it as a booster heater for a solar kiln. 

It could serve at least four purposes:

1.   It could provide extra heat to keep a good drying
      speed during rainy or cool weather.
2.   It could be used to reach pitch-setting temps for
     pine.
3.   It could be used to assure reaching sterilization
      temperatures for long enough periods to kill PPBs.
4.  It would also be handy to accelerate the last stages
     of drying - which is the weak spot for a solar design.
     By maintaining a lower relative humidity for the last
     period in the kiln, a given batch should come out much
     more quickly.

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

brdmkr

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on February 25, 2008, 09:05:31 PM
Brdmkr,  Get a pool or hot tub to justify the outdoor heater. 

Sweetie would be all over that!  She has even been asking about a heated pool.  Hmmm.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Warbird

How much firewood are you guys burning per winter?  My fear of getting one of those is in how much firewood I'd be consuming.  I've got a friend who has one that's not too efficient and with the very cold winters we have, he burns ~15 cord of wood per year (yes, standard cord).

Dana

Warbird, I have a 5648 Central boiler. I fill it once a day with the the amount of wood that would fit level to the bed rail and fill half the  box of a standard pickup box. Or approximately a 4' long X 4' wide X 2' high stack of wood. Dosent seem to matter much on the quality of the wood green, punky, slab, Dog Tooth Aspen, Etc. I still fill it once a day. Except in the summer when the wire last 3 or 4 days without filling. ;D
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

beav39

war bird i will average about 4 cord this year  a few people around here have them in a regular winter they burn about 5 to 6 cord not bad considering that you can heat multiple buildings not to mention all your domestic hot water
sawdust in the blood

stonebroke

Guys I put over 20 full cords though my riteway this winter. Just view it as a fulltime hobby.

Stonebroke

OneWithWood

I have a dual fuel CB.  If we burn only wood we go through 20+ cords a season.  It only burns from Thanksgiving to mid April.  Now that we are burning bio diesel our wood useage has dropped way off.  We go through 50 gallons of BioD every 48hrs when burning continuously on BD alone.
We heat the house, domestic hot water and over 3000 square feet of greenhouses with it.  The greenhouses are kept around 50°F so it requires some btus.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

woodmills1

I am at around 20 to 25 cord, but this place is 4300 sq ft with half having no insulation in the walls.  The main trunk of the hot air heating system runs about 25 feet across the front of the house, then some 65 feet to the back of the second addition.  Why they never relocated the furnace when the previous owners added on I will always wonder.  The insulation under the floor of the second addition fell down a few years ago when the wire holding it up rusted away.  That addition was built in the late fifties so may or may not be insulated. The last addition was built in 1972 so it is probably insulated but the vapor barrier is probably pushed in between the studs.

I could probably plum in a few hot water baseboard runs, but copper would cost me and my wood is free.  Maybe when I get real old and don't wanna schlep so much wood,  I will do some plumbing

on the good side, even though it is a lot of wood, the house is 68-70 degrees in all the heated spaces and around 62-67 in the 4 unheated rooms.  With oil I had to run 2 wood stoves full time to get anywhere near that level of temp.  Its a quality of life thing as well as a money saver.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

logwalker

Quote from: Dana on February 27, 2008, 06:34:18 AM
Warbird, I have a 5648 Central boiler. I fill it once a day with the the amount of wood that would fit level to the bed rail and fill half the  box of a standard pickup box. Or approximately a 4' long X 4' wide X 2' high stack of wood. Dosent seem to matter much on the quality of the wood green, punky, slab, Dog Tooth Aspen, Etc. I still fill it once a day. Except in the summer when the wire last 3 or 4 days without filling. ;D

That works out to a 1/4 of a full cord. I thought I was using a lot. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

thecfarm

I have a Heatmor outdoor furnace and I don't feel it's taking alot of wood.Nothing like what some of you are saying.But I have heard some brands are hungry for wood.I'm heating a 30X40 house,basement and cellar, hot tub and hot water.Garage as soon as I insulate it.Good job for mud season.I'm very happy with the amount of wood I have used.I only wished I would of put it in sooner.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Quartlow

good grief, to think I've been whining!!! I can cut a tossed in load for the trailer, which is made from an old pickup bed, that will last me a week. I can't imagine burning 20 cords.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

stonebroke

Thats cause you live in the warm climate,Quartlow  Think how cold it gets up in Canada.

Stonebroke

Thank You Sponsors!