iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wanted a glass wood stove door

Started by muddstopper, February 10, 2013, 01:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddstopper

I have a buddy that heats his shop with a barrel stove. Its several years old and he is wanting to build a new one. The doors on those volgezand stove kits are really to small if you have large splits to put in. He is wanting to find a glass stove door to use for his new stove. I have searched for stove doors, but all the barrel kits seem to be solid doors. Does anybody know where I can get a glass door that might fit on the end of a barrel stove.

Local4Fitter

Never owned a barrel stove, but seems that the doors that they come with are mounted on a frame already. If your friend finds a glass door he will probably have to make a frame to mount it to so it will seal properly. Also he would have to customize the draft control because I think that is in the door too.
1974 John Deere 510, Wood fired pizza oven,2005 Dodge/Cummins,Firearms for all occasions.

Corley5

After replacing glass in a couple different stove doors I had a piece of steel cut the size of the glass and didn't worry about it anymore  ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

Combustion air should flow over the glass from the top to keep it clean.  If the draft is below it the glass will always be black anyway :)

muddstopper

My friend is a retired boilermaker, He's 68yo now, but I am sure he can still fab up a frame to fit a door if we can find one.

Corley5

If he can fab the frame he might as well fab the door too  :)

muddstopper

Where do you get the glass that goes in the door?

Mooseherder

It's been a few years but I had replaced a Stove door glass from a company that was online.
Just sent in my measurements and they cut it to fit.  Installation into the frame wasn't hard.
I don't remember the name of the company but there are probably many to choose from.  Google Wood Stove glass.
There has to be a company that sells the frame also.
The draft on our stove is at the bottom of the glass and it gets black after cleaning on the first burn.
You'd think that the stove designer might have known about that. ::)

Corley5

I got mine from a local glass supply place. 

Hilltop366

Anyone know if the inner glass on a electric or gas kitchen stove (range) and a wood stove are the same? If they were the same it would be a cheap source if someone was throwing one out.

I do know they are both expensive.

Yoopersaw

Quote from: Corley5 on February 10, 2013, 08:15:12 PM
Combustion air should flow over the glass from the top to keep it clean.  If the draft is below it the glass will always be black anyway :)

X2 on this.  It can be done with some fabricating; but, probably not worth the effort.

Handymark

I saw a sign at a local glass shop recently stating they do replacement glass for fireplaces and wood stoves. That would be my first phone call.

muddstopper

Lots of good suggestions. Thanks you all. I think my buddy has gone off on a different tangent for now, doesnt know what hes going to do. I guess when he finally makes up his mine, at least I will know where to start looking.

36 coupe

A Pyrex pie plate or baking dish would work.Open flames in a wooden box make me nervous.Cant understand why people want glass doors in a stove.Most get broken by a bit of ice brought in from outdoor wood piles.

Thank You Sponsors!