iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody seen a white pine with this many leaders before?

Started by HemlockKing, March 19, 2021, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klicker

2006 LT 40 HD

SwampDonkey

Quote from: HemlockKing on March 21, 2021, 07:00:48 AM
Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 21, 2021, 06:07:30 AM
I have 3 wet runs that I let nature deal with. I put the effort where the biggest bang for the effort counts, so that is probably the other 7 acres in wet land.

Do you have any pictures of this wetland area you speak of SD?
Here a 2-1/2 beaver flood area, not seeing all of it there because it is a long narrow run. This is the day I was headed cross to thin those fir out. The fir patch is part of a 3 acre section along the line. One end of it next to the Maine border is aspen mostly, I never thinned those the beavers have been taking them. The wetland was a cedar thicket before the beavers moved in and the creek was just barely a creek. When the woods was mature the creek was not above ground at all. Moving under the cedar roots. ;D

Thinned, some white spruce on the perimeter. ;D Back in 2008. The brush in there now is totally soil. :)

On the edge, where all those sedge are. Beyond was good ground where the fir and spruce are mixed with maple. That's all thinned over in there and now those fir are 30 feet tall or more. Thinned 2007. My wet places have sedge and cattails, with red maple, elm, willow and some cedars, but not thick.

Not the exact spot, but similar. This photo is probably 5 years old, so bigger trees still. ;D

My cedar I'm waiting on. The photo is 8 years old.

And here was an area that needed planting, it has cedar slash and wasn't producing much. So now it is spruce. ;D

8 years later. Plus 8 years since the photo. :D

Tending your little piece of Earth
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HemlockKing

Thanks for sharing those SwampDonkey, you seem to have a spot in your heart for fir no? :D I keep a good fir when I find one but will always favor a spruce or pine since they are so short lived. The area of fir I thinned out was just like your first photo, they were starting to starve off, some couldn't be saved, but I got a good lot of fir now I just need to wait for them to grow  ;D  That's a nice little cedar, I dont recall seeing any around here, lucky to see a hemlock, there are some more east of the county.
A1

HemlockKing

A1

SwampDonkey

I like fir because they grow twice as fast as spruce, so you can turn some coin quicker. ;D Fir lives 80-90 years up here. I have very few old ones, wouldn't be a dozen. I cut the culls down for firewood. Nice splitting, lots of heat. Spruce is a bear to split, like splitting tamarack. :D

Rings

I've got plenty of spruce, probably 40,000 spaced ones. I'll be too old for them to make a difference in my wallet. The planted ones are 16-25 years old, 55 - 74 more years to go for a nice log. They to are getting a second thinning. But gotta watch when you cut'm for firewood and where you're going to stack'm. The spruce bark beetle moves in fast in the warm weather. They'll make a lot of brown powdery dust and cover your basement window trying to get out. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

If it was my tree, I'd keep it because it is awesome.  Awesome mutant trees matter.  
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

HemlockKing

Quote from: Jeff on March 22, 2021, 07:20:08 AM
If it was my tree, I'd keep it because it is awesome.  Awesome mutant trees matter.  
Well I haven't cut it down yet but I'm going out later today and I will see how I feel when I lay eyes on it  :D I'm torn, I have lots of other old mutant pines I will never cut but this one is .....somethin else :)
A1

Jeff

Cut the leaders all off level about 3 foot up and put a camping platform on it. Still awesome.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Sauna freak

I have one with at least as many.  Healed lightning scar (probably what topped it in the first place), carpenter ants, pileated woodpeckers, wood ducks, flying squirrels.  It's a regular high rise apartment for all the critters around.  One of the leaders broke off last year in a storm, and I counted 24 rings near the base.  It's a great seed source and nurse tree, keeping it shady, and moist, but not too shady and moist.  Full repopulation density of healthy seed/sapling white pines in a 200' plume downwind.  This thing keeps kicking out cones at a rate that seems higher than other healthy trees in the stand.  Last gasp seeding?  

It's a prime bedding area for my deer, and the grouse like to roost on a certain limb when there's snow in the air, so I treat it kind of like a meat locker.
Sauna... like spa treatment, but for men

HemlockKing

Decided to keep her  :)

Other pics today

One of the only black cherrys I have not full of black knot disease

Regenerating balsam and some pine in the back I thinned this last fall
A1

SwampDonkey

Your thinning looks good. That cherry is like most up here, not straight. :D But I have a few in the back yard I save. I want to open them growths up on a lathe or saw and see if there is treasure buried inside. ;D I cut one a few years ago, 54 cm and made this. :)

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=47604.0

HemlockKing

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 22, 2021, 05:15:16 PM
Your thinning looks good. That cherry is like most up here, not straight. :D But I have a few in the back yard I save. I want to open them growths up on a lathe or saw and see if there is treasure buried inside. ;D I cut one a few years ago, 54 cm and made this. :)

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=47604.0
That looks good SD, good craftsmanship. I have lots of smaller ones but they are always junk. This one pictured is the only one worthy of a photo  :D

A1

SwampDonkey

About your pine, there was a huge one up these way with 3 or 4 leaders starting about 6' up. They had to move the 4-lane around that pine. ;) I knew the old guy who owned it, he was a woodsman and farmer. He was a great old timer. Not mentioned in the article below.

The Big Tree, Forestry in New Brunswick, and the Value of Nature ? NiCHE

barbender

I would probably keep it too. It has a lot of value as a seed tree, the seeds can disperse a long ways off a tall tree like that.
 Many woods you hike around here will have old multiple leader white pine like that, they were old growth when the first logging took place around 1900. The loggers just went around them. One spot I take the family fishing down on the Mississippi River, there is a monster that must be nearly 5' dbh, which forks to 2 stems about 7-8' up. The wife and kids get sick of hearing me say, "that sure is a big white pine" every time we drive by it😁 Most of those trees have had 2 or 3 harvests take place underneath them. I don't cut them down, but if one dies and falls over I certainly try to make use of it. I swear you can saw up the ugliest crooked piece of 4" knot laden white pine, and it will still behave itself🤷🏽‍♂️
Too many irons in the fire

Ianab

Here's a pretty ugly old pine that's just around the corner from home. I think it has 5 leaders remaining, one blew out in a storm a few years back. Hard to show a scale, but the limbs / leaders would be 2-3 ft dia.

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

HemlockKing

Quote from: Ianab on March 22, 2021, 07:33:30 PM
Here's a pretty ugly old pine that's just around the corner from home. I think it has 5 leaders remaining, one blew out in a storm a few years back. Hard to show a scale, but the limbs / leaders would be 2-3 ft dia.

We call it ugly but the tree is otherwise healthy and doing its job  ;D Probably a testament to the resiliency of pine 
A1

Ianab

Pine aren't native to NZ, and can become an invasive species if they spread out of the plantations. 

So we call em Ugly.   :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

tawilson

Pretty sure this was just one little pine when I bought this place in 1993. Now it's got it's own little forest and still spreading.  I used to brushhog that area around it but haven't in 5 years or so or it probably would have spread even more.

<br

Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

HemlockKing

Quote from: tawilson on March 28, 2021, 09:50:25 AM
Pretty sure this was just one little pine when I bought this place in 1993. Now it's got it's own little forest and still spreading.  I used to brushhog that area around it but haven't in 5 years or so or it probably would have spread even more.

<br

I say go under and limb the dead branches and have a nice shade tree ;D
A1

SwampDonkey

Never saw a straight Scots pine. :D Them things was brought over here before people paid a lot of attention to genetics. Probably picked seed off a tree growing on a rocky bluff that had developed a way to withstand high winds. The weevils and sawflies love'm to. :D

HemlockKing

Swamp donkey, I understand you appreciate a good balsam stand, here is a stand that arised after Juan and is 15-20 yr old, I got in and thinned them last summer just in time.
A1

HemlockKing

A1

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!