iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 Blade guide roller question

Started by CalebL, February 17, 2012, 08:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalebL

I noticed that the guide roller on the drive side had stopped turning during a blade change.  I removed the roller by following the instructions in the kit.  I rebuilt the roller and reinstalled it.  Now the roller will not spin by hand when the blade is tensioned.  When running it will spin but I also noticed the blade is moving away from the back of the guides and is almost a 1/2" off the wheels.  When I untension the blade to about 1000 psi it will move back to where it should be.  However, the guide roller will still not turn by hand very easily.  If I take the blade off, the guide turns fine. 

I haven't cut anything yet since the roller rebuild.  Should I go through the process of a complete alignment procedure or am I missing something? 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

MartyParsons

Hello,
QuoteHowever, the guide roller will still not turn by hand very easily.  If I take the off, it turns fine.
The roller should turn free when tightened with the nut. There are spacers ,# S04253 I replace them often during repair/ service. if you can feel a ridge on the bearing side they are thinner and will bind the roller. 
There is something not right.
The blade should be at 2500 psi track the band by hand it should track the same.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

CalebL

Quote from: MartyParsons on February 17, 2012, 09:00:18 PM
Hello,
QuoteHowever, the guide roller will still not turn by hand very easily.  If I take the off, it turns fine.
The roller should turn free when tightened with the nut. There are spacers ,# S04253 I replace them often during repair/ service. if you can feel a ridge on the bearing side they are thinner and will bind the roller. 
There is something not right.
The blade should be at 2500 psi track the band by hand it should track the same.
Marty

Thank you for the reply, Marty.  The guide roller does turn fine when the nut is tightened.  It will not turn free when the blade is tensioned.  It also is pushing the blade away from the back of the guide and off the wheel. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

MartyParsons

Hello,
I would say you need to go through the procedure of the alignment. If you have 1/4" deflection on both rollers the blade guide arm could be out of adjustment.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

eastberkshirecustoms

Quote from: CalebL on February 17, 2012, 08:46:57 PM
I noticed that the guide roller on the drive side had stopped turning during a blade change.  I removed the roller by following the instructions in the kit.  I rebuilt the roller and reinstalled it.  Now the roller will not spin by hand when the blade is tensioned.  When running it will spin but I also noticed the blade is moving away from the back of the guides and is almost a 1/2" off the wheels.  When I untension the blade to about 1000 psi it will move back to where it should be.  However, the guide roller will still not turn by hand very easily.  If I take the blade off, the guide turns fine. 

I haven't cut anything yet since the roller rebuild.  Should I go through the process of a complete alignment procedure or am I missing something?

With the blade on and tensioned, you should not be able to spin the roller by hand, without the blade and wheels turning also. Perhaps before the rebuild the roller would spin because you weren't getting the proper deflection with the sloppy bearings. Also, the blade should ride about an 1/8" away from the back flange- this is normal. If you're riding off the wheels an alignment is in order. Did you rebuild both rollers? -better to do both and check your other (shaft/wheel)  bearings before realignment.

Thank You Sponsors!