iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norse Logging winch question

Started by country, March 21, 2005, 12:57:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

country

I have an opportunity to purchase a used Norse model 400.

does anyone have any experience with this make and model?

How much horsepower would my tractor need to have to comfortably run the winch and lift the load

Any thoughts on value?  How much does a new one cost- I have been unable to find a new vendor of them

Thanks

Dave

thecfarm

On my way to work.Check out Labonville.They sell them.This is a logging store in ME and NH. I have a Norse winch.Can't remember the size.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodhog

I  use a Norse 400 all the time...

They cost 3000.00 in Canadian dollars(about 2400 USD)...new..

The winch is quite rugged and works well, probably as good as any of the winches..

The reel tension needs adjustment and is quite touchy to get set properly (for pullling off the wire when walking to the log)...

It has two small boxes on each side that are handy for the chains etc...

You should check it out in operation if possible as it is hard to see the internal clutch face etc..

Also the condtion of the pawl cam that locks up the drum when pulling out the load after its
winched in...

The locking mechanism should move freely each time the rope is pulled to lock up the drum, you can see this action by looking under the inspection door on the left hand side...

This winch is the only one that will work with a forestry trailer and loader..

You can chain up the moveable butt plate, raise up the winch on the 3 point hitch and the tongue of the trailer will slide under the winch and hook to the tractor..

This will give up a winch/trailer/loader combination  all on the tractor at one time...

You dont have to keep unhooking  the winch from to the tractor each time you want to use the trailer.. a huge time saver on uneven ground....

Around her the dealers will only give around half price of new for a good used winch...

Russ

I have a Norse thats about 12 years old (?). I like it better that a farmi. It has some kind of plastic disc for a clutch . Wore out the chain and had to replace the bearings because there was one grease fitting I didn't know was there, it sticks down ,never saw it. I ordered a new disc but found I didn't need it. I had no trouble getting parts at Keets tractor, Keene NH. I think some of the newer ones are Hydraulic.

country

Thanks for the input

the winch looks clean, I am supposed to go see it this weekend

Dave

Thank You Sponsors!