iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fast growing tree

Started by farmhand, June 17, 2004, 05:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmhand

I live in zone 6 (just outside of Pittsburgh, PA) and I want to know what is the fastest growing tree thst will grow in my area.  

Thanks
WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!

SwampDonkey

Tulip tree or some species of poplar/aspen would be fast growing. Probably not as high valued as the oaks, sugar maple, cherry or walnut. Any specific use your looking for the trees? (wind break, shade, privacy, reforestation)?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Paulownia would probably grow there.  But, you might not want it.  There are threads on this forum about it and lots of info on Google.    It is a beautiful, very fast growing tree with lots of purple flowers but it tends to get out of hand in some areas.

SwampDonkey

Never heard of that tree before. I GOOGLED it and found a grower in Australia that had a picture of one 35 years old and about 40 inches by the look of it. There's a tree hugger wrapped around it for scale. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

farmhand

I am looking for a wind break and to block out the view of some houses next door.

I checked on the Paulownia tree Tom.  There is tons of info on my yahoo search.  There is actually an association in american for the tree.  Interesting.
WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!

Brian

Lombardy Poplar is commanly used as wind-breaks and natural screening. Weak wooded but fast growing with nice fall foliage.

SwampDonkey

If the Paulownia doesn't work for you, I'de plant sugar maple because it has dense foliage and when open grown it has a big rounded crown to block the view from neighbors and for a wind break. It is also strong to take the abuse of heavy wind. I remember one killer wind here one summer and my maples where leaning pretty hard, but never toppled. I see alot of big poplar (40 inch) snap like a match stick, the only maple that break (as a general rule) are those with rot on the trunk. If you get some young maples in your woodlot and transplant them in the spring, they'll start putting on fast growth by the second season (2- 3 feet per season). Don't dig up those tall suppressed trees, look for seedlings 3 to 5 feet tall with good internodal growth, like from small patch cuts or clearcuts. Only draw back with maple is they are not so tolerant to air pollutants, so it depends on the proximity to major industrial centres. Road salt can be damaging too.

rebocardo

I know there are two Paulownia farms in GA. Supposedly Jimmy Carter grows them too.

Roxie

I work for a landscape design firm in PA, and if you are in need of screening the view and blocking wind, you might want to go with an evergreen variety that will be effective year round.  There are several ways to wind screen that include using bushes and trees combined.  For example, planting white pine (fast growing) and then putting rhododendruns on the shade side of them will give a very natural effect and provide screening and wind blocking even during winter.
Say when

Phorester

A big ol' YEP to what Roxie said, Farmhand.  Decidious trees provide no windbreak or screen in the winter.  I'd suggest looking for a thick growing evergreen that does well in your area. I suspect white pine, Norway spruce, leyland cypress, maybe a cedar, probably others that will grow in your neck of the woods and provide a windbreak.

I'd also suggest planting 2 or 3 rows for a more effective windbreak if you have the room.  Also plant more than one tree species. That way if an insect or disease takes out one species years from now, you'll still have the other ones.

Frank_Pender

I a sorry I can,t give lots more detail, but there is a fella out here  in Oregon that has developed a rapid growing species of Pine called the KMX.  Perhaps Tillaway could shed some green light about the species.  
Frank Pender

Tillaway

Not much help here Frank, seems as though you know what its called.  I didn't even know that.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Frank_Pender

Well, I will have to get in touch with some folks tomorrow and see about who to contact.  I know a couple very good sources, nearby. :)
Frank Pender

Minnesota_boy

QuoteNever heard of that tree before. I GOOGLED it and found a grower in Australia that had a picture of one 35 years old and about 40 inches by the look of it. There's a tree hugger wrapped around it for scale. ;)

I would think it might scale better if the tree hugger were wrapped inside the tree.  :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Thank You Sponsors!