iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw jobs get BIGGER

Started by Magicman, May 14, 2010, 09:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

How many times have you left a job site Friday, knowing that you would finish up in a couple of days.  Then when you get back Monday morning.....the pile grew.

This job started out with 12-15 SYP logs and about that many ERC and I knew that the customer was staging logs in two other locations.  I finished the first one this afternoon and drove down to look at the second.  What a surprise.  Fifty-one 16', 18' and 20' logs scattered out for 150 yards.  And this is just the second staging area.  He said that the biggest logs are at the third.

One thing for sure.....I'll be here for a few days..... :)  Looks like money to me..... smiley_thumbsup

First whack of SYP & ERC logs

Finished the SYP and this stack of ERC.

51 logs stretched out along a skid road

51 logs looking back toward the truck.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

why don't people pile their wood on trailers right off the saw? if they arnt stickering right on site. way to much wasted energy, touch it once and be done with it ...
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

Now that is a whack of logs. 

"Saw, saw, saw, catch me if you can.  You can't catch me, I'm the Magicman!"  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

I had one like that a couple of years ago.
I went in expecting to saw around 2,500-3,000 bf and (mother nature interfered with this one) we ended up sawing well over 12,000 bf.
The only way that it really bothers me is when I have plans to be somewhere else on a specific date.
There's good money in it though!

Cheers.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Quote from: Chuck White on May 14, 2010, 09:24:15 PM
The only way that it really bothers me is when I have plans to be somewhere else on a specific date.
Cheers. 

That's why I never give appointments any more past the job that I am sawing.  When I finish here, I'll call the next customer and set up a date.  When I get there, I'll stay as long as he has logs.  I have not lost any jobs scheduling this way.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Quote from: red oaks lumber on May 14, 2010, 09:13:14 PM
why don't people pile their wood on trailers right off the saw? 

Someone has his trailer borrowed hauling hay.  He is really not happy about the double handling..... >:(

brdmkr

MM, that is a big job.  What does he plan to do with all the boards?
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Magicman

Quote from: brdmkr on May 14, 2010, 10:23:00 PM
MM, that is a big job.  What does he plan to do with all the boards?

A two story addition on his home.

gator gar

Man, I would love to have some of that action. That's alot of wood.

Chuck White

Quote from: red oaks lumber on May 14, 2010, 09:13:14 PM
why don't people pile their wood on trailers right off the saw? if they arnt stickering right on site. way to much wasted energy, touch it once and be done with it ...

Most of my customers will have a truck, trailer or hay wagon running gear on site, ready to stack with lumber.
You're right it cuts out a lot of handling!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

I have two similar jobs that are being bunched now.  Matter of fact, one of the customers stopped by here yesterday to see how this saw job was progressing.  They are trying to work the "old man" down..... :o :) :D

stonebroke

Were those dead trees or does the bark come off that easy?

Stonebroke

Magicman

Quote from: stonebroke on May 15, 2010, 08:34:00 AM
Were those dead trees or does the bark come off that easy?  Stonebroke 

They are all beetle killed SYP.  No commercial sawmill will buy these logs.  These type jobs are generally large, because the customer saws all of the trees that he has rather than how much lumber that he needs.  Many times, they will sell the excess lumber to neighbors to recover sawing cost.

The bark may  shed while standing and surely while skidding.  That makes it nice for sawing.  Very little dirt to worry about.  Also, this lumber is very stable because it has partially dried while standing.  Stress is generally minimal.

customdave

That will keep you out of trouble for a day or two, keep the sawdust flying & play safe!

8) 8)

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

red oaks lumber

we're doing one of those grow jobs, started out to be 13,000 b.f. once they got done trucking logs in  we're at just over 35,000 b.f., the only complaint i have is i'm looking at just over 100,000 b.f. pine sitting in my mill yard and the summer heat season is nippin at my heals..

Magicman

Thankfully I don't have to saw your logs.  10K-12K bf per month is about my normal.  I'll get my 1 million bf fairly soon, but I don't want to reach it "next week"...... :)

stonebroke

How come commercial mills won't buy it? Doesn't it make good lumber.

Stonebroke

Magicman

Beetle killed SYP usually will exhibit blue stain caused by the excretions of the beetles.  Also, commercial mills have no way of knowing how long the trees have been dead and whether the lumber will meet strength/grade requirements.

I have to closely watch the lumber for that telltale "orange color tint", and discard any lumber/logs that have gone too far.  Sawdust is an indicator also.

Notice the "sawyer" holes in the third log pictured below.  I will slab 2"-3" to get below them.  You just have to watch and read each log to produce quality lumber.

These logs above were not the best quality.

These are good solid logs and will produce quality lumber.

red oaks lumber

m.m  i just hate when spring time  comes and everyone hauls pine in for sawying, i'm with you 10-12k/mo is more managable.this year most all of the logs are 8'. so for 2 guys cutting 1" lumber getting 2200- 2500 b.f / day isn't to bad.

Magicman

Sawing dimensional framing lumber really increases daily bf numbers.  Thankfully, that is what the greatest majority of my sawing business is.

woodmills1

Yes the 2x makes the numbers go up.  But you are busy, nice  doesn't matter the numbers but no old guys die before their time :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

customsawyer

That is a nice bunch of logs and should make some great lumber. It is always amazing how some customers only want a little bit of wood, then as you start sawing they get to thinking about all the other things they want to build and head out to get more logs. I have even loaned my chain saw once so the customer wouldn't have to go back to his house to get his.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

I've left a saw job many times on Friday evening, only to return Monday morning and find more logs than the customer had at the beginning of the job.  That's another reason why I don't give/make appointments beyond the job that I am sawing.   Many times, I just have no way of knowing when I will finish..... :)

bandmiller2

Looks like a whole whack of job security.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ljmathias

Yeah, well, whack of this, whack of that, and pretty soon we got a whicky-whack, paddy whack, dig your dog a bone (or some such). ;D

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Thank You Sponsors!