iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jeep Wrangler Input

Started by stavebuyer, June 09, 2021, 09:12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stavebuyer

After some severe 4wd PU sticker shock coupled with limited availability of 4wd pickups I am toying with the idea of a basic Jeep Wrangler to run around in and save my Sierra for the odd occasions when I actually need a truck. I am little concerned by some of the quality/repair ratings. Its a new Wrangler Sport 2 door 6 cyl 2020 model leftover I am looking at. Any insight into particular real world concerns with this model would be appreciated.

farmfromkansas

I don't drive a jeep, but do drive a Tacoma.  Long life, good fuel economy, and bought mine cheap.  What's not to like.  I also have a 4x4 Chevy 2500, and a Ford 4x4 f450, along with a couple grain trucks.  The one I drive is the Taco.  Have heard you can buy a used Jeep cheap.  My SIL bought a new Jeep when he got a better job and wanted to celebrate.  For some crazy reason it seems to be a status symbol to drive a Jeep.  Lots of the younger guys in my neighborhood are driving them.  I think why?  Could have bought a 4 runner, or a 4x4 Tacoma.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

aigheadish

I'm not a huge Jeep fan, but it's been quite a while since I've run around in one and the one I did spend time in wasn't mine. I reliability is certainly an issue but not quite as much with a Wrangler as any of the SUV type models. The rides are very rough so it's not terribly comfy. It is pretty cool to ride around with the top and doors off. If I were set on a Jeep I'd go used. You could probably dig around on some Jeep forums to determine the most reliable years. Jeep fans are diehards.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Nebraska

3 Jeep products have or are currently  owned by me. If you aren't going to run it long term, meh it's fine. If I planned on running long term til it rusts to death  I would go toyota. Kid in me still likes the jeep though....

Sedgehammer

What year is your sierra and w/ sticker shock, are you saving anything. you have insurance, upkeep and related......
Necessity is the engine of drive

gspren

I've owned a couple Wranglers but none newer than 2000, no major problems and enjoyed them, however in 2016 we were looking at used 4 door Wranglers when we came across a 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser that we bought and it is now my favorite vehicle of all time although they hold their value which is good if your selling but a bummer if your buying.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

stavebuyer

The trouble is not so much the sticker "creep"; my current truck was close to 50K sticker 7 years ago but 40 bought it. Now a similar equipped truck has a sticker of 65k and they have a waiting list of idiots ready to pay it. Late model used is even a bigger joke. No way I am paying 65K sticker for a 1/2 ton gas truck or 55-60 for used one with 50K miles.

It may not be "cheaper" but at least I might enjoy a Wrangler to play with. The Wrangler was a 2 door Sport v-6 auto for 33k. I wavered and its sold(could of been a hook to start with).

I agree a Tacoma would be a more practical choice. I just started looking when I stumbled across the Jeep. I think patience will be rewarded if I do nothing but browse for a while.

tacks Y

I have a 2005, 2006 was the last year for the TJ. Worst riding, worst mileage ever. Maybe the new are better on both counts. I have mine to pull behind the rv and I would not sell it. Been out west four wheeling with it.

att_t_2d

I test drove a new 2019 a few years ago.  I have issues with dizziness.  I immediately had problems driving and riding in one due to excessive side to side motion.  I think it is a combination of the height, width and suspension amplifying body roll.  Ended up with a RAM 1500, no issues.  

zippski

My wife had two leased early 2001/04 Wranglers (nice upgraded Sahara hardtops at that) .  She (and I) have nothing particularly bad to say about them. In fact, she really liked them.  Lots of fun to drive, albeit a little noisy. Towed pop-up campers all over the eastern USA with them when the kids were young.  

However, although I am not a particularly tall guy (5'10") I played linebacker for a few years in high school and college.  I guess you can say I still have somewhat of  a linebacker build.  Try as I might, I could never get comfortable in the Wrangler seats.  It always felt like I had a shoulder blade hanging over each side, and crushed with lack of shoulder space.  For that reason alone I would never buy one as my main vehicle, since they still have exactly the same issue in today's models.

Spend a lot of time test driving one before you pull the trigger unless you are a real slim dude.

Leigh
zippski

Leigh
zippski

barbender

I've only drove one once, about a 2008 model I suppose. It was probably the roughest riding highway vehicle I've ever driven. It sticks in my memory and I only put about 10 miles on it. I'm sure they would be fun off road, but for an everyday run to town vehicle, no way I would want one.
Too many irons in the fire

OlJarhead

Did you get one?  I'm on my 3rd and my wife has one now as well.  The 4.0's were pretty much bullet proof and I am not that familiar yet with the 3.6's but it seems to be a good rig.  However, we both have 2013 Rubi's so they are older (but very low miles, I bought mine last year with just 22k miles on it!)....

If still looking, go back to a 2013-2017 year and see what you can find....you'll park the truck LOL

But I'm biased!  I LOVE my Jeep! 8)
Winter at the old jarheads cabin | Getting there snow wheeling - YouTube

You will see some serious snow wheeling here ;)  I say in the video it's about 18 inches....later I realized that 35" tire was even with the top of the snow and since it's sitting on 8 inches of snow (under the tire) or so, I'm actually in as much as 40 plus inches at times :D  Woot!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

firefighter ontheside

I've decided I want a Wrangler 4 door and I would prefer it be a Rubicon.  I will not be offroading with it really, but it would be nice to be able to.  For the last few years I had my wife's old car to drive back and forth to work.  That car is now my son's car and I'm back to putting miles on my F350.  I love my truck, but I learned also to appreciate a smaller vehicle to drive around in.  Of course the Jeep will not get nearly the mileage of a Subaru, but I figure if I'm gonna buy something it might as well be fun too.  In fact, I want something like yellow or orange.  I've been looking at marketplace and finding things that would work for me in the 12,000 to 18,000 price range.  I've been told the 3.6 motor is better than the 3.8, but I also have a friend with the 3.8 and he is happy with it.  I finally gathered up the courage to tell my wife what I wanted to do.  She was not impressed.  "That will pay for a year of your son's college".  I grant her that.  In my defense saving miles on the truck is worth a lot, plus I will be burning gas instead of diesel.  It's gonna be a hard sell, but I think she will give in eventually.  I'm considering getting rid of my flatbed truck and just go to using my F350 for my business and track miles.  I like the flatbed, but i think in the end I will be better off with the jeep and pickup.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

Also, I had thought I might want a manual trans, but now I'm thinking not.  It would be fun for a while for old times sake, but i think it might get old, especially with 6 gears.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Hilltop366

As long as you are not buying it for the milage as they are no better than a 1/2 ton pickup truck.

I've had a few YJ/wranglers (87 and 95) fun to drive but talk about a rough ride, they made the TJ and up seem smooth!

LeeB

I've been thinking about buying an older one to replace my Polaris ranger 800xp which shot its wad. That way I'd have something with a closed cab and heater that could be road legal as well. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

firefighter ontheside

It would be an easier sell to my wife if it got better mileage.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

aigheadish

I've driven my stick shift Civic Si since 2017. It becomes muscle memory but there are times as the years go on that I wouldn't mind an automatic again. Also, shifting a Jeep will be pretty different than shifting the Civic.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

firefighter ontheside

I grew up driving a manual subaru station wagon and then a ford ranger for 5 years.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

RetiredTech

The only Jeep I ever owned was a Jeep YJ. Tough as nails, rough ride and poor gas mileage. But I regret selling it, and still miss that thing. It was a great farm vehicle. We just didn't use it as much after we bought the Kubota UTV. Yep, That was a fun ride. My wife never did like it.
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

hedgerow

Bill We have had Jeeps around for years CJ's to the newer Wrangler's. Wife went front a Jeep in the mid eighty's to Chevy Blazers for a while. Went back to Jeeps around 2000 and Jeeps since. She always had sticks until I bought the last one new in 2015. She loves her Jeeps. Me I am a pickup guy. She still has the 2015 Auto, two door middle of the road trim. Currently has 80,000 miles on it. Have had zero issues with it. One set of tires and one set of brakes on the rear. Gas mileage not great but ok. Highway and town she averages twenty in the summer and eighteen in the winter. She retired coming up two years ago so it sets in the shed a lot. We take the pickups when I am driving. If I were you I would just drive your truck. 

firefighter ontheside

Don't get me wrong, I love driving my truck, but I kind of feel like I need to make this truck last.  I paid 52,000 new in 2017 for a 1 ton diesel.  To buy the same truck now is like 80,000.  That is not gonna happen, so I want something to help extend the life of the truck.  I probably do 15,000 to 18,000 miles per year.  My truck has 96,000 miles, which is good for a 2017, but I havent put a ton of miles on it the last 2 years.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

OlJarhead

OK, first, the Toyota guys are as bad as Jeep guys -- Toyota's aren't Jeeps, not even in the same class.  So, if you want a 4 wheel drive that can go places others can't, you get a jeep.  If you want a nicer ride that can't go all the places a jeep can (without breaking etc) get the Toy.

(now that I've started a fight -- sorry Toy guys but they aren't as good as folks think when it comes to dedicated, serious off roading -- they can be faster, IFS is good for that, but they can't hold a candle to serious wheeling that live axles can do)....

I have my 3rd Jeep and my wife has one.  Here are my thoughts on the OP:  Jeeps are not the best at getting good fuel mileage -- they are like a brick going down the road.  Sure, you can get 20-22mpg on the highway with a stock jeep geared right and even my wifes 2013 Ruby (4 door) with 35's can get 21mpg if she keeps her foot out of it but I rarely see over 16.5mpg in my 2 door ruby.

2nd, the 3.6l pentastar is pretty proven at this point so is reliable if properly maintained.  No issue there.  I wouldn't however, look at the others myself (though I understand the diesel is sorted out now in the 23's and 24's)

To get lots of info I'd suggest going to wrangler forum and posting all the info on the jeep you are considering but in short, sure it can be reliable and super fun.

The Sport is the base model so no lockers, no sway bar disconnect etc but it's very capable just as it is and again, fun (miles of smiles).

They drive kinda like a truck but the JK's are super comfy (you're would be a JL)...so I guess if it were me I'd look for a low mileage JK (2013 to 2016 should be good years to look at) and if possible a low mileage Rubicon as they have it all (lockers, sway bar disconnects, better suspension etc etc)...

Min is the Anvil colored 2013 10th Anniversary Ruby on Metalcloak's Gamechanger suspension with the flat fenders etc.  My wifes is the Red Ruby Unlimited on an AEV lift both on 35" tires.

Finally, nothing wrong with Toy's and they do have a good rep no doubt, and 99% of the people that drive them will never take them to places best left for Jeepos :D :D :D

firefighter ontheside

Are you advising against the 2012 because it was the first year for the 3.6?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

OlJarhead

Yes.

Some argue to avoid the '13 as well but we have two 13's and they seem to do fine though both are low mileage (wife's just rolled over 80k and mines almost at 50k).

Thank You Sponsors!