iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Identify wood from the end grain of a board/log

Started by SwampDonkey, October 30, 2006, 12:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawbob011

Funny, my dad does cabinetry and other fine wood working for extra money. Ive been in the shop with him as long as I can remember and even do my own work now and we never once would have guessed to id a peice of wood by the end grain. If there was any question we just made our best guess based on color smell and texture and call it good. Never would have guessed the end grain of a board would be so unique ttoo its speicies.
Echo CS-400 started it all
011 AVT

SwampDonkey

Where I'm from sawbob, we have so few hardwood species that it's not even a guess once we learn our species. Whose gonna mix up an oak with a yellow birch? Well, in log form I've seen it confused with balsam poplar and by someone whom was suppose to know. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

The cellular structure as viewed from the end grain is distinctive by almost all species, especially the hardwoods.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

StephenRice

Quote from: Radar67 on May 29, 2008, 06:26:19 PM
I have another unknown for you to ID. This is a dark grained wood I found at the local hardwood mill. They use it for stickers and this was in the broke, trash pile. Let me say this up front, I do not have a clue as to what this is, but for some reason, I want to say it resembles mahogany.

I scanned this chip in, it is ½ x ¾ inches.

While I am definitely not an authority figure on wood identification, I think this looks very much like what we in America would call ebony.  I hate to see it used as sticker material though.  It seems like such a waste, kind of like using good black walnut for stickers.  Of course, overseas, people use teak wood for framing and decking lumber... sighhhhh...
"Pure gold fears no fire!" - (Ancient Chinese proverb)  What do you fear?

jim king

QuoteWhile I am definitely not an authority figure on wood identification, I think this looks very much like what we in America would call ebony.

I dont think that is Ebony.  Ebony does not show rings  from what I have seen.

We have had a lot of trouble doing ID work using pores on tropicals,  some unrelated species can be identical to each other.  We have had better luck using the internal parts of the flowers and the leaves as to even how many and what type of micropscopic hairs they have on the bottom side.

In the tropics wood ID is very much in its infancy and every day we know that we know less than the day before.

caveman

I cannot believe that I have been on the FF as long as I have and just found this thread.  I will have to read through it more carefully when I have time to concentrate.  Also, while scanning through, I noticed a lot of posts from several great contributing members who are no longer with us.
Caveman

SwampDonkey

Yep, for sure. And thanks for digging it up. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

caveman

It was hiding in plain sight.  Thanks for starting it, SwampDonkey.
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!