iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

rippled grain in wood

Started by catskinner, December 16, 2015, 10:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catskinner

Over the years I have seen many snags with large X marks on them that grew in the tree. I was told this was compression grain, does anyone know.
If it can't be grown it must be mined.

Ljohnsaw

Wow, that is really cool looking.  Pine trees only?  How high up does it go?  More on the bottom than the top?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

catskinner

I'm not sure of the specie of this one but I have seen it in Western White Pine. This pic was from facebook a gal on there asked about it.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Neither compression failure, nor compression wood, show up like that on the surface of the tree.

Not sure what caused these growth bumps.

Click your forum name and you will be at where you can update your profile with your location. Helps to answer your questions... but do presume you are in the western US.

What else can you tell us about this tree that you found in the pic? 
Edit   Sorry, just saw the facebook reference.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

catskinner

This picture was taken in the Wenatchee Wilderness area, by a friend on Facebook, she said it was fairly remote and higher elevation. I don't know the specie of this snag, but I think the surrounding trees are Douglass Fir and Hemlock. I have more pics that she posted I will post another one here.

I have over the years seen these snags like this in my area as well.

beenthere

Would be interesting to know how many growth rings carry that undulation (bump) along...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

catskinner

catskinner

Quote from: beenthere on December 17, 2015, 12:30:44 AM
Would be interesting to know how many growth rings carry that undulation (bump) along...
It would be interesting to see one sawn into lumber.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, catskinner.  That is eye catching as well as puzzling.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I suspect that it is caused by some parts of the cambium laying down more wood in certain areas than what is normally being produced in other parts of tree, creating these "growth ridges". 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

chester_tree _farmah

Looks like a phenomenon similar to tiger maple but in X pattern..

254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

catskinner

Thanks for the comments, I would like to see the wood cut into lumber. I don't know what it looks like with the bark on, I have only seen it on snags.

Clark

Since most of the adjacent trees appear to be douglas fir, I would guess that the snag in question is too.

With that in mind it is almost certain that sawyers in the pacific northwest have seen this before. If I wanted to know more I'd search out a sawyer for a mill and question them...I have a feeling you'll learn more than you bargained for.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

catskinner

Yes I have it out there in several places, nobody seems to know. I think by the time it went through the debarker, depending on which brand they might not see the outside pattern. I will be looking at trees a little closer now to see if I can spot it with the bark on.

cbla

Very interesting! I have never seen anything like that here.

chester_tree _farmah

Do you see it all the way up the tree? Thinking possibly bear scratch posts that healed over? Or maybe Sasquach?  :)
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Left Coast Chris

The pattern is very interesting.   The compression grain that most of us are used to seeing are at the base of a flaired butt.    The pattern shown in the X shape makes you wonder if the tree had a disease under the bark it was trying to overcome.   The trees you are showing are not the largest so maybe it affects the weaker trees?
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

catskinner

Quote from: Left Coast Chris on December 18, 2015, 11:07:55 AM
The pattern is very interesting.   The compression grain that most of us are used to seeing are at the base of a flaired butt.    The pattern shown in the X shape makes you wonder if the tree had a disease under the bark it was trying to overcome.   The trees you are showing are not the largest so maybe it affects the weaker trees?
These trees may have died when the trees around them were the same size, these snags stand for years if they are in places where people can't get to them for firewood. Just as an aside, I know a place where there are standing obviously fire killed larch, surrounded by western red cedar that are a couple hundred years old. The cedar show no signs that they have seen fire at all.

Thank You Sponsors!