iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What has grain but isn't wood...

Started by sprucebunny, December 29, 2004, 05:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

Wanted something a little different for window trim in my kitchen. I tried painted wood and considered ash (NOT painted!!) Finally picked stone. There are two large windows at 90 degrees to each other with the same pattern.

The grain in rocks fasinates me as much as that in wood but the equipment to expose it costs way more. Every day I can get my little fix gazing at the marble while I cook......
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Kirk_Allen

Corn, Wheat, Rice...................

Oops, Wrong type of grain :)

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Fla._Deadheader

Very nice, Bunny. You do the handiwork???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

sprucebunny

Thanks Fla_D. Yes.Had a collection of different 12x12 tiles and cut them w/ wet saw.

DanG

Really nice work, Joan!  That stonework accent's the window perfectly. All we need now is a pot of grits boilin' on that stove, and we have a perfect picture. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

isawlogs

Thats a beautiful way of dressing up a window , really nice work dere Joan . The artist in you came out quite nicely and the craftmanship sure can put a few to shame.....
  The way you arranged them looks super....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Percy

QuoteWanted something a little different for window trim in my kitchen. I tried painted wood and considered ash (NOT painted!!) Finally picked stone. There are two large windows at 90 degrees to each other with the same pattern.

The grain in rocks fasinates me as much as that in wood but the equipment to expose it costs way more. Every day I can get my little fix gazing at the marble while I cook......

Most Impressive Sprucebunny,
you are a true craftsperson(Im being politically correect ya??) The stone work is magnifisant. Did you  make your windows as well? I lovem. How do you keep them looking so good?? Is it humid there?? WE need new windows here and I cut WRC and was thinkin of building or having some built outa that but everyone says that the dew on the windows will mess them up after a while and they will look bad. Any tips?? Great work regardless.
Thanks for showwing....
\Percy
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

edsaws

Beer? ;D Oh I guess not but nice lookin window. I bet some of those cuts took some time to do? I'd be afraid to wack to much off one side or another nice work.

chet

I was on da same wave length as Edsaws, but he beat me.   ;D

Nice work sprucebunny, but I hope my wife do see it!   :-X  
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Patty

Very nice, Joan!  :o

I love marble and granite and slate, etc..especially with wood. We put strips of  granite down as room dividers between our wood floors. I love the contrast.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

SwampDonkey

Nice work sprucebunny, very impressive. I also like the ash wood to.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Yep it's very nice and I also like that little truck on there to.....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

etat

Sprucebunny, that's really nice work.  I like it a lot! :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

sprucebunny

Thanks, everyone. ;D
It was a little nerve-wracking cutting the inside cornors. Had to use tape to mark stops...
I enjoy the contrast of wood and stone ,also, Patty .Have another slate window sill so the plants won't mess it up.

Marcel-That's one of my all time favorite trucks-'50's Power Wagon. I saved a bunch of $$$ by getting it that size :D

Percy- The trick to keep windows from sweating is insulated glass. You can buy it made up for you at any glass place and mount it in your own sash/ frame. The hard part is an opening system. About twenty years ago you could get spring loaded tracks to put in double hung windows.The windows have a polyurethane finish on the wood. Send an IM if you want to know more.

isawlogs

QuoteMarcel-That's one of my all time favorite trucks-'50's Power Wagon. I saved a bunch of $$$ by getting it that size
Yes mam thats one nice pick-up..... And I'll bet you that the tranny's a lot easyer to take out then the 91 I have  ;D ;D

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!