iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New mill saw

Started by Bruno of NH, September 04, 2020, 03:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

I had to take my 2172 away from my hired man at the mill. He broke it 4 weeks in a row.
It's the first nice saw I have ever owned.
I bought this Echo 590 was only  $400 .
So far I'm impressed with it for the mony.

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

lxskllr

I read nothing but good regarding the 590. If I knew what I knew now, I might have ended up with one instead of my ms362. Not that I've had any problems with the 362, but the 590's half the price.

Bruno of NH

I have a Echo combo unit
Brush cutter ,weed cutter and power broom.
16 years old starts every time on two pulls.
For $400 and good dealer service you can't go wrong.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

How many CC is that critter? I need a small saw, around 50cc. I had that Efco,52cc that died on me.  :( I have a spare bar and 3 chains. Need to find something that will take them. Have over $100 in spare parts. 
I miss a small saw. Was thinking of a 40cc,but doubt the parts I have will go a saw that size.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

@thecfarm, Happy Birthday!   Glad you had another!

Echos are good.  Bruno can validate but I believe the 590 is 60 cc.  Check out their 400 model.  My brother has one he does not run often.  It has a 16 can run a ,18" bar.  It had been a while since he'd run and we were together Thursday and he had it.  We added some of his premix bottle 50:1 and on second pull it fired and third it was running.   Very good saw..... at least IMHO.

I have a CS341, no longer made and a 620 which is a 60cc and I like them both.  I have to be healthy the day I use the 620.  It is a more heavy saw for a 60cc but has not let me down yet.

lxskllr

The cs400 is a fantastic saw at 40cc. It's specced for an 18" bar, but 16" is a better match. It takes the standard PoulanPro type b&c. Is that an A01 mount? Can't remember, but the standard consumer saw mount. Very light, easy on gas, and plenty of power.

Happy Birthday cfarm!

edit:
just made a quick look online. Looks like your efco was .325 pitch? I guess that requires a ~50cc saw. That's about the only place that's used. Echo has the cs490. I might get one next year during a sale event to use as an office saw. My PoulanPro has been getting on my nerves. I'm hoping I can get it straight, but I'm at the point I just hate that saw. Time to get something enjoyable I think...

thecfarm

I have a Echo trimmer that came off the Mayflower.  ;D
Yes, that cs400 looks like the ticket. Just hope it takes the bar and chains I have. I would drop back to a 16 inch bar when the 18 goes. Might be a while, 16 inch bar and chains are cheaper. Easier to file too. The one that was on it is still good and than I have a spare too. Wonder if he would take off $40 with me just buying the head.  :) I see it's $299.
Thanks for the birthday wishes!!!!  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lxskllr

See my edit above. I suspect your b&c won't work on the cs400.

Bruno of NH

Happy Birthday Cfarm
I think they have a 490 49cc also it's  $350
The 590 is 59cc it was $400

Bruno of NH

Echo also has a couple new saws out with the auto tune
Ecm in them they looked really nice but the price was inline with Husky,Redmax and Sthil 

thecfarm

Yes, it's a 325 pitch. Looks like the 490 maybe. I will bring the bar and chain with me when I go. Match it and I will buy.  ;) Maybe I won't keep so many spare parts on hand in years to come. I would like to go down to a 40cc. I will still drop down to a 16 bar when theses 2 bars go bad.
Spring assist to help starting? No decompression valve?

barbender

Bruno, your hired man sounds like he could "break a steel anvil right in two" as a late friend of mine used to say😊
Too many irons in the fire

backwoodsdave

I recently picked up a cs590 with the 24" bar, up until now my "big saw" was a 20" husky 455 rancher, the husky is a good saw but the Echo is one heck of a saw, I've cut mostly pine but I just cut a solid dead standing 42" red oak, the Echo buzzed right through it with no problem, it's a keeper for sure.

Walnut Beast

Happy Birthday 🎂 thecfarm

sawguy21

Happy (belated) birthday @thecfarm I have owned, sold and serviced Echo products, imo huge bang for the buck. They come out of the box set too lean (emissions) so need to be tuned for best performance. 24" is a bit much for a 60cc saw but if you keep the chain sharp and don't push it you might be ok. Bruno, sounds like your man could break a steel ball with a rubber hammer and should be relegated to packin' and stackin'. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ladylake

Great saw, as above make sure it's tuned good,  also the muffler deflector is really restrictive , I enlarge the opening on mine.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

thecfarm

Walnut Beast and sawguy21, thank you for the birthday wishes.  :)

Bruno of NH

How would I open the muffler up ?

lxskllr

Take it off, and see what's inside. My cs400 had a cat, and I gouged all that out with a screwdriver, then cut a couple louvers off the outlet, and removed the spark arrestor. Pretty conservative. I could probably do a bit more, but I don't fully understand the principles, and exhaust that's too free is bad too. My ms362 was pretty much just an empty can. I only removed the spark arrestor from that.

I always remove the spark arrestor as a minimum. That may not work for you, or others who are reading. There's various (good)regulations regarding that, but there's almost no chance of me setting stuff on fire where/when I cut.

Bruno of NH

I'm saving for the biggest one
800 something. 

Thank You Sponsors!