iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw instead of SkilSaw?

Started by MT, August 20, 2020, 10:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT

Anyone used one of these? Big Foot 75 Degree Head Cutter Chain Saw Attachment - Big Foot Saws

Would that work in place of a Skilsaw for cutting plywood/2x4s/etc.?

btulloh

Of course. It'll leave a rough cut though. 

You don't really need an expensive doodad to all that. Your choice though. Guys in the bush will use a chainsaw for anything. 
HM126

sawguy21

I can't see an advantage with plywood or dimensional lumber unless a stack is being cut. It would leave a very rough cut and there would be a lot of waste. It could be useful with posts and beams. I notice all the cuts are with the top of the bar which increases the risk of kickback.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

MT

Quote from: sawguy21 on August 20, 2020, 11:10:31 AM
I notice all the cuts are with the top of the bar which increases the risk of kickback.
This is what I was worried about. You certainly couldn't use this with minimal PPE. Maybe a portable generator or solar generator is a better idea for using a skilsaw in remote locations than using this contraption.

LeeB

Battery circular saws have come a long ways. Not the best for ripping with but it can be done. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ventryjr

I'm in the commercial HVAC industry and have a load out of Milwaukee tools.   I used my Milwaukee fuel 7 1/4 circ saw battery operated to frame a 1100sqft addition for my father.  It's a great saw and with the larger batteries 9amp or 12. You can cut for a long time and have as much power as a black and decker plug in saw. It will cost you the same as a new stihl saw for the tool, battery and charger.  I would recommend it to a friend.   Milwaukee fuel makes great power tools. 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

Walnut Beast

I was very impressed with Milwaukee tools. Empire is part of there company. I recently got a brand new digital level sent to me a couple weeks ago. I sent them a email of a digital level that I had for quite sometime and didn't really use it but the digital display didn't work properly. They said we will take care of it. They did right away. I was impressed. 

lxskllr

I hear a lot of good about Milwaukee. Enough that I recommended the brand to my boss. He bought a drill/driver Fuel combo. and so far has killed two impact drivers. They were covered under warranty, but it makes me a little leery of the brand. They were being used under professional type duty(screwing fence on the farm), but weren't being abused or anything. If *I* had to go out and buy something today, I think it might be Dewalt. Maybe they're just as bad, but so far I have no confirmed kills, unlike Milwaukee...

Al_Smith

Battery powered tools have their place .I have several DeWalt 18 volt tools which  include both drills and one impact drill plus a reciprocating saw .For short term work they are handy but long term stuff where you can get a power cord to it's hard to beat a corded power tools IMO .
 On several occasions I have used a small chainsaws to make cuts in places I really could not get a reciprocating saw in .Like up under eaves .
With regards to battery powered chain saws they wouldn't be of much use to the things I do .Perhaps to trim  the apple tree in the back yard once a year they might be good .At least they should always start unless the battery was not charged .Some how I can't see myself trying to buck 30" oak rounds though .That would take a lot of batteries .

sawguy21

Battery tools have gotten much better in the last few years but they do have their limitations, 30" oak is well beyond their capabilities. My Ridgid 18V drill doesn't see a lot of use but is the cat's meow when I need it on a ladder or a roof. I don't know if the old metal case corded drill still works.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!