iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New iDRY

Started by boonesyard, November 15, 2019, 03:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boonesyard

I've been waiting,,, a bit impatiently I might add.

Our new iDRY Standard was loaded at the factory last Friday, 11/8, and estimated delivery Monday, 11/11. His truck broke down in Cleveland and had two deliveries before getting to our place. The truck is repaired, the two deliveries have been made and if the sky doesn't fall, we should see it at 9:00 am tomorrow morning. I feel bad for the trucker, 4 days of down time doesn't buy many beans.

I'll get some pictures of the off-loading and the install this weekend. I should have everything set up for the electrician on Monday morning. Looking forward to getting it going. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Glenn1

I think that you'll really enjoy having it
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

nativewolf

Quote from: boonesyard on November 15, 2019, 03:20:43 PM
I've been waiting,,, a bit impatiently I might add.

Our new iDRY Standard was loaded at the factory last Friday, 11/8, and estimated delivery Monday, 11/11. His truck broke down in Cleveland and had two deliveries before getting to our place. The truck is repaired, the two deliveries have been made and if the sky doesn't fall, we should see it at 9:00 am tomorrow morning. I feel bad for the trucker, 4 days of down time doesn't buy many beans.

I'll get some pictures of the off-loading and the install this weekend. I should have everything set up for the electrician on Monday morning. Looking forward to getting it going.
Did that arrive?
Liking Walnut

samandothers

I hope it arrived safely and you are setting it up.  Look forward to hearing your stories.

boonesyard

Well it's finally here, showed up Saturday morning. Trucker had to replace a front axle in Cleveland, ouch.

Had plenty of equipment, it's off the truck.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

boonesyard

In to the shop with it.

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

E-Tex

Congratulations.  Please keep pics and updates coming!
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

boonesyard

Sliding in using equipment skates. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

boonesyard

Almost there. That's one pooped out fella.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

boonesyard

The idry has landed. Leveled to drain and the rail system and dolly are set. Not a bad Saturday.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

boonesyard

The electrician was right on time today. The new 60 amp circuit installed and the kiln is powered up. I put the recirc system together this weekend and that's all connected as well.

We're currently going through a dry run. Vacuum system and recirc worked flawlessly to the required set point, fan and heat are cooking along. Will start loading some silver maple and ash of our own tomorrow night for the maiden voyage. 

Seems like a very well built unit. I frequently deal with some very high end water and waste water treatment equipment and I can say that this thing appears to be well made with a simple interface. Now it's time to put it to work. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

YellowHammer

What? It's got handprints on it already!  It's too pretty for that.

It looks nice! 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Stephen1

Quote from: boonesyard on November 18, 2019, 04:50:39 PM

The idry has landed. Leveled to drain and the rail system and dolly are set. Not a bad Saturday.
Looks great ,congratulations!
One thing I learned was not to much slope for the drain. The idea is for the water to cover the floor of the kiln as it moves to the back corner. 
Are you going to track the drain water out of the kiln?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

goose63

Tim I'm going to make a trip up to your place this weekend and have a look at this 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

boonesyard

Quote from: YellowHammer on November 18, 2019, 06:57:48 PM
What? It's got handprints on it already!  It's too pretty for that.

It looks nice!
I know, the dust drove me crazy. Right after this pic we mixed a totty to celebrate and wiped it down,,,now I'm better. ;D
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

boonesyard

Quote from: Stephen1 on November 18, 2019, 07:18:37 PM

One thing I learned was not to much slope for the drain. The idea is for the water to cover the floor of the kiln as it moves to the back corner.
Thanks. I think I've got a pretty gradual slope to it, but I'll keep an eye on that. I hadn't planned on keeping track of the drain water. Is there a benefit?
We're going to start loading it this evening. I have silver maple and ash that is all air dried from 9-13 moisture, so this first load is not going to take very long. My biggest issue is going to be the stacking. It's all relatively short and odd shaped stuff that we've saved for CNC work and is of less value. The challenge will be the baffeling. Should make for an interesting pic when I get the jigsaw puzzle put together. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

boonesyard

Quote from: goose63 on November 18, 2019, 07:42:09 PM
Tim I'm going to make a trip up to your place this weekend and have a look at this 8)
Ken, That would be great but I may be out of town. Give me call
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Old Greenhorn

Sounds like my typical stack thus far.  ;D I can't seem to do enough stuff all the same size and wind up with a stacking nightmare. But you may find that if you have a six pack available when you are loading, after a few different options are exhausted and the six pack is diminished, you start to be a little less picky and the stack gets done. :D
 Seriously, this is a beautiful piece of equipment ad I am very jealous indeed. I just wish we had one in our area. I wish you all the best with it. I bet that load drys in no time at all.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

E-Tex

Quote from: boonesyard on November 19, 2019, 11:03:21 AM

Thanks. I think I've got a pretty gradual slope to it, but I'll keep an eye on that. I hadn't planned on keeping track of the drain water. Is there a benefit?
We're going to start loading it this evening. I have silver maple and ash that is all air dried from 9-13 moisture, so this first load is not going to take very long. My biggest issue is going to be the stacking. It's all relatively short and odd shaped stuff that we've saved for CNC work and is of less value. The challenge will be the baffeling. Should make for an interesting pic when I get the jigsaw puzzle put together.
@boonesyard , did you get your first load in the i-dry?
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

boonesyard

Quote from: E-Tex on November 25, 2019, 05:46:55 PM
Quote from: boonesyard on November 19, 2019, 11:03:21 AM

@boonesyard , did you get your first load in the i-dry?
We did. We loaded a mixture of our own stuff that had been air dried with mc's between 10-13%. It was a mix of 4/4 and 8/4 which included ash, silver maple, elm and a little black walnut. We had it on high power for 3 days, pulled it Saturday night and everything tested between 5.8-8%. This is the first load before it was baffled.
This is the second load, went in on Sunday evening. As you can see, different thicknesses and species. MCs varied from 20-40%. We are running this load at low power for the first week, then we'll see how it's doing.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Stephen1

I always like to keep an eye on the water draining out of the kiln. The dryer it is , less water coming out. 
I have never run the kiln on low power. I understand the low power works great on green oak. Let us know what the temperature gets up to after a week. Curious minds would like to know. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

boonesyard

I didn't know what to expect, but it seems to be ramping up. The graph shows it ran at 100 deg the first day, day two it ramped up to 130. A LOT more water was dumped today than yesterday (which makes sense). I'm not sure if it will continue to ramp up to 160 eventually, or if it levels out at a lower temp? I'll certainly keep an eye on it and let you know.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Stephen1

Quote from: boonesyard on November 26, 2019, 10:14:09 PM
I didn't know what to expect, but it seems to be ramping up. The graph shows it ran at 100 deg the first day, day two it ramped up to 130. A LOT more water was dumped today than yesterday (which makes sense). I'm not sure if it will continue to ramp up to 160 eventually, or if it levels out at a lower temp? I'll certainly keep an eye on it and let you know.
What Temerature are you keeping your building at?
I keep mine around the 60F and I get those same Temps at Full power.

@Japarker4 what will the low power mode temperature come up to?

boonesyard

Quote from: Stephen1 on November 27, 2019, 08:21:01 AM

I keep my building at 60 as well. I dried the first load at full power and it ran at 156-158 deg for three days. I'm not sure what low power mode is going to get to or how long it will take to get there. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

japarker4

Quote from: Stephen1 on November 27, 2019, 08:21:01 AM

Usually between 130F and 140F, but it does depend a bit on ambient temperature in the building and how wet your wood is.  

Thank You Sponsors!