iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

American paw paw

Started by bandmiller2, August 23, 2009, 06:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

We checked on the Paw Paws yesterday and few are starting to ripen.  In about 2 weeks most of them will be ready.  Some trees are really loaded.  We even saw a 4 cluster.

My Son and I in the Paw Paw Patch, taken July 4th.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

Magic, how do you tell their ripe,they must still be green.This spring I tried pollinating with an artest brush can't see as it helped much my trees have fruit but not loaded.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

A slight yellowish tint, and not as firm.  If they will shake off they are ready, but they bruise so easily.  I would rather pick them.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dana

The Paw Paw seedling I purchased this spring I planted in full sun, in a field. I see most of you have them in an understory. Will they do o.k. where they are?
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

WDH

Paw paw is adapted to be somewhat shade tolerant as an understory species.  That is one of the reasons for the big leaves.  Who knows, it might really take off in full sun.  In the wild, it is rather slow growing, so other trees easily overtop it, so is has learned to live in the understory.  Let us know how it does in full sun.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bandmiller2

Dana,I have read the seedlings and smaller trees need shade once they mature they do better with more sun.Would probibly be good form to build a little frame with cheese cloth over it at least until they get established.Planted mine along the edge of larger trees and they are doing well,and spreading.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!