iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Here’s your sign!

Started by scsmith42, November 10, 2019, 07:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

Brother Jeff (RockingJL on FF) went home Saturday after spending 9 days here at the farm.

Principle purpose of his trip was to join me in attending the Ederville Antique engine and tractor show in Carthage, NC.  Although Ken passed away last year, his family intends to keep the show going and it's an incredible display of antique engines, tractors, heavy equipment - you name it.  I watched 5 cable dozers operating in the field at the same time, and there were about 15 more on display. 

Lots of steam traction engines too (up to 150hp).

While at the show I found a nice deal on a porcelain Caterpillar Farm Tractors sign.  It measures 18" tall x 60" wide.  Jeff worked out a really nice mounting system for it with some scrap steel, roofing tin and old lumber, and we put a rope light in it to show off the sign at night.

They had a smaller Caterpillar Heavy Equipment sign too, but not only was it a lot more expensive per square inch, I figured that the farm theme was more appropriate in my situation.

I'm pleased with how it came out.  That part of the farm has been lacking in aesthetics and I think that this helps.  It's mounted high enough to clear log trucks too!

Here is Jeff and I standing on the forklift platform after installing the bracket and sign on the side of one of the old log tobacco barns.

And here is a night view after I completed the wiring earlier today.  I set it up on a photo cell to run some LED rope lights that we installed between two of the purloins.

The fun thing about doing projects like this with Jeff is that I'll think of him most times that I look at the sign.  I've been really blessed in both the big brother and wife departments.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Southside

Very nice!!  But I must say I am quite taken with the condition of that tobacco barn, you don't see them looking like that very often! 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

A whole lot of nice going on there. Sign,brother and the show. Lights add a lot too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rjwoelk

I see my comments did not show up. I was told by my wife we needed one. It took 2 years to get it done. Always something else in the way and more important. She would have been happy with 2 poles in the ground and the sign nailed on, but I said no no that would not do.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

olcowhand

Great Post, Scott (I'll have to follow up with Kitty to get you that FF hat)!
I also enjoy doing projects with my big brother. When people see us working together, they always say we do the work of three men! They reference three men that I'm unfamiliar with...
Who are Larry, Moe & Curly?
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

samandothers

Scott, great looking sign, well done!  You and Jeff do good work.  Pretty obvious y'all are brothers.  It is fun working with my brothers though we don't do it much at all.  The oldest is closer geographically and we get the opportunity to work play on land our parents left us fairly often.  This activity is not the middle brother's thing, but we all stay in contact.   They both did help me with putting the rafters and metal on my pole barn roof 5 years ago.  I think of that and the fun times often.
While we do act like Larry, Curly and Moe we refer to ourselves and the good, the bad, and the ugly.  Which of us wears which moniker depends on who is telling the story!

I went through Carthage once on the way to see our daughter at Campbell College when the show was going on.  This was about 7 years ago, man was that place bumpin!  Neat little town.

rjwoelk, nice sign there good job.

scsmith42

Guys, thanks for the kind words.

RJ- that's a great looking sign!

Southside, I have two log drying barns and one log grading cabin on. My farm.  One of the barns and the grading cabin are both in really nice condition.  We had to replace quite a few of the logs on the other barn, but it's not bad either.  I'm planning to use it as an office.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

rjwoelk

Thanks. Yours is a great find, looks excellent with the lighting.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Thank You Sponsors!