iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whats Your Big 3 of Firewood?

Started by ReggieT, January 26, 2014, 06:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rebarb

Oak is so plentiful around here and have to factor in the split. 
Red Oak
Chestnut Oak
White Oak.

If I was buying and had choice ?
Black Locust 
Shagbark Hickory 
White Oak.

I've burnt plenty of Hedge but it's not worth mentioning due to harvest time.....yes it's hot.

Corley5

Red oak smells like vomit when it's being processed.  IMHO  ;D :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Al_Smith

It reminds of hog manure but not quite as pungent .Kind of a parfum -de- swine .Reeks a little bit more if it's wet from rain .
Speaking of red I'm afraid I'm going to need to slice a big log because it's going to degrade before I get it milled ,I had good intentions but it didn't happen . 

SwampDonkey

I've switched my mix to aspen, maple, and fir, since I have 40 ac of it to thin and the thinnings are going in the stove. I've got the first 4 ac done now. Should be done in 15 years to sell mature wood for real $$.  ;D

Maple left for a few months smells like cow manure, that nice fermented smell. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Rebarb

Elm and sumac have an unpleasant odor as well. 

BradMarks

Maybe somebody already said it but my three favorite are Dry, Dry, and Dry.

Upstatewoodchuc

Black locust and white ash because they're plentiful here and can burn almost immediately. And for a third id have to say ironwood just because of the BTU's. Looking at what people burn in other areas I feel blessed lol.
Current collection: Husky 3120xp,  372xp, 365, husky 55, homelite xl12. Michigan 85 wheel loader, Ford 8n with loader and forks. Farmall super C, 1988 international dump truck, John Deere 440ICD dozer, 19ft equipment trailer, 40 ton TSC splitter, modified dieder splitter with 4 way.

cutterboy

Quote from: Upstatewoodchuc on March 18, 2021, 12:20:21 PM
 Looking at what people burn in other areas I feel blessed 
Yes, I feel the same way. The Northeast US has many different species of hardwood trees. In fact, it is one of the most diverse areas in the world.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

reride82

Quote from: Thomasjw4 on March 14, 2021, 10:07:22 AM
Larch, Doug fir and lodgepole.  its not much, but its what i have.
At least you get Larch :D I am up to my ears in Lodgepole, and I have access to Doug Fir. I got to burn some white oak this year when I acquired some Oak cribbing and that stuff is great! But, I have thousands of cords of dead, dry, and decent Lodgepole.
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

KEC

Al Smith, About the Mulberry and starlings, yeah that's bad. It ain't pretty when they've been eating buckthorn berries or grapes either.

Thomasjw4

Quote from: reride82 on March 19, 2021, 12:04:18 PM
Quote from: Thomasjw4 on March 14, 2021, 10:07:22 AM
Larch, Doug fir and lodgepole.  its not much, but its what i have.
At least you get Larch :D I am up to my ears in Lodgepole, and I have access to Doug Fir. I got to burn some white oak this year when I acquired some Oak cribbing and that stuff is great! But, I have thousands of cords of dead, dry, and decent Lodgepole.
Yeah there is definitely not a shortage of dead lodgepole over in Butte, America.

DDW_OR

Montana
any hardwoods, if you can find them
tamarack
lodge pole 

Oregon
Madrona
oak
maple

dead pine for fire starter
"let the machines do the work"

Billbob

In March I cut about 3 cord of maple on my woodlot for the garage stove then the neighbour next door sold about 25 acres of stumpage on his land.  I snowshoed over to speak to the harvester operator.  Long story short I bought 12 cord of hardwood at an excellent price that was delivered to my yard by the porter driver.  Mostly maple with the odd stick of birch.  Best part was that the harvester cut a trail to my mill yard and the porter driver delivered about a cord of my own hard wood and a cord of my spruce and tamarack to my mill at no charge.  Gotta like that!
So I'm good now for about 5 years for firewood.
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

barbender

When I hunt out of my Aunt and Uncle's cabin up in the Bighorn Mountains in Wyoming, the stove is fed pretty much straight lodgepole pine and I'll be darned if I don't feel warm🤷🏽‍♂️ Lodgepole is as good as hickory, when you don't have any hickory😊
Too many irons in the fire

Ventryjr

1 cherry
2 oak
3 Ash

Love the smell of green split cherry. Oak puts out a lot of btus. And ash makes fast btus. All the ash around here is standing dead beetle killed. Burned 9 face cord of ash this season.  Still burning the last of the pile now. 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

TmbrWlkr

Bad bad woods:

Basswood
Box Elder
Cottonwood

Good woods:

Ash - can't keep up with the EAB kill here / so that will be my go to for the next few years

Oak - got lots, but need to get ahead of the drying time

Hickory - hard splitting, but good coals

Thank You Sponsors!