iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building my Retirement Home or "My First 5 Year Plan"

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, March 23, 2016, 08:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Look'n good man. Definitely need that porch. She's rugged!! Get any snow up there? :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Now that's a porch. Most don't build them wide enough. If I am sitting in a chair with my legs stretched out I have to move them when someone walks by.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Wow Jon, just Wow!!! 
I can visualize rocking chairs and "pickin' & grinnin" music.   smiley_guitarist smiley_trap_drummer smiley_singsongnote02
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

samandothers

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Weekend_Sawyer

I had a hard time finding a roofing contractor. My general contractor said it was too much for him and the local guys all said the same. I was talking to a neighbor and he said that's what his son does, so I called him and sure enough here we go!

It's killing me to be stuck here at work and it's going on without me. I'll be heading back up Friday to see how it went.

Here's where we were when I left on Sunday.
Wayne, my GC did a great job getting the porch and front steps in.

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

SwampDonkey

What are you putting on the roof? It's not steep, so I was wondering why they walked away. You need some young fellers like Jesse, that can climb like monkeys. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Weekend_Sawyer

It's Everlast II metal roofing. I believe it's 26ga in Ivy Green

All the contractors in the area are 50+ years old and just don't want to climb.
The guys I got to do it are in their 30's and enthusiastic.

SwampDonkey

Yep, I figured on age. That is the gauge steel I used to. It's heavy, but it will last a long time. Jesse and his gang that worked for me are in their 30's. ;)

scsmith42

That looks absolutely fantastic!  

Great craftsmanship, and a very pleasing design.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

tule peak timber

All of the above and a "boy howdy' on top. beautiful....
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

samandothers

Whatta home this will be!  The porches are still a draw for me.  The roof color is great, looks good in the setting.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishfighter

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on May 20, 2020, 06:49:55 AM

Man am I happy with our progress! I spent 2 weeks in the middle of April and have been going back up Thursdays through Sundays since. My local guys are true craftsmen.

Jon
Hey, you stole my idea before I thought of it....... ;D
Looking good. We're buildin the same thing basically, but won't have a wrap around on it. House will though.
Necessity is the engine of drive

Weekend_Sawyer

The roof is on!
There's still a lot of trim and such but all of the big pieces are down.
We had a pretty big storm Saturday evening and all was dry under the roof.
I'm a happy guy. Were also working on the basemen doors and starting to hang angle iron to hang the garage doors on. Slow but steady progress.

That's Brian the main roofing dude at the rear peak. He's finishing up the shed roof over the loft deck. I'm really looking forward to sitting up there.

Jon

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Weekend_Sawyer

I'm in the eastern panhandle of West (by God) Virginia. I'm on the west side of Cacapon mountain with Berkeley Springs on the east side. Route 9 west from Berkeley Springs to the town of Paw Paw is an incredible scenic ride... but watch out for deer! I hit on e on my motorcycle 3 weeks ago. Amazingly I didn't go down but it did over $5,000 in damage to the bike.

btulloh

There's a really nice golf course there.  Designed by Robert Trent Jones.  Beautiful area!  

Just a side note - There used to be a business located right across the road from the main entrance that sold all kinds concrete yard stuff - fountains, statues, flamingos, whatever.  (Wonder if they are still there?) One day a friend of mine and I stopped there after leaving the golf course and he bought a full size, concrete Labrador Retriever.  It still sits on his front porch, painted black with eyes and mouth painted appropriately.  Named it "ReadyMix".  Weighs about 150 lbs.  No point to that story, just came to mind when you mentioned Cacapon.

Really admiring your new home and enjoying following the process.
HM126

SwampDonkey

Raider Bill

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on July 13, 2020, 01:06:00 PM
I'm in the eastern panhandle of West (by God) Virginia. I'm on the west side of Cacapon mountain with Berkeley Springs on the east side. Route 9 west from Berkeley Springs to the town of Paw Paw is an incredible scenic ride... but watch out for deer! I hit on e on my motorcycle 3 weeks ago. Amazingly I didn't go down but it did over $5,000 in damage to the bike.
Thanks, Never know when my Road King might show up!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: btulloh on July 13, 2020, 01:28:16 PM
There's a really nice golf course there.  Designed by Robert Trent Jones.  Beautiful area!  

That golf course is in Cacapon state park. I am directly over the mountain from there. As the crow flies it's a couple of miles straight over, but you have to drive around so it takes about 20 minutes.

Weekend_Sawyer

The heat and humidity have been brutal! We are working on the garage doors, each door will be 10' high and 7.5' wide with 2 in each opening. They will swing out like barn doors.
Because I will be adding a rock face to my block foundation I had to get the doors out 6" so we are installing these 6x14 pillars to mount the doors to. Wayne, my GC, is also building a 5' shed roof over the doors. The plan is that when we get these doors up the basement will be closed in and we will then build the stairs up into the main house. There's too many critters wandering in to put the stairs in now.

Thank You Sponsors!