iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reforesting Land

Started by BlaBla, October 03, 2004, 07:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Contact the local Conservation District Forester for a proper reforestation prescription for the involved area based on a soils evaluation and your future management objectives.

Cedar is a "tough one" to retain if you have a local deer herd.

CRP is a government cost sharing program for certain land manageement activities. Again contact the local Conservartion District Forester for details. The programs keep changing based on new laws and budgets.
~Ron

SwampDonkey

I would recommend white spruce on soil that isn't real wet, but moist. Alot of our cedar stands will seed with white spruce in some stands, or black spruce in others. If your mature cedar where/are quite large (14 +) than I'de go with white spruce. If you plant hardwood its going to be browsed like the cedar will, when deer are present. Talk to the local professional forester or extension staff for the species suited to your site. If you have advanced fir and aspen regen on your site than your going to be able to harvest some before your too old to care. ;)

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bcraw98

Paschale,

CRP stands for Conservation Reserve Program

Much or our pine plantation is in this program. The program has changed through the years, but it is a good program for someone who wants to reforest. The land must be land that was cropped and meet certain erosion requirements.  We bought some marginal crop land and enrolled in it in 1987 and the Federal Government paid half the planting costs for our loblolly pines. Our original contract was for 10 years and we received 40/acre/year in payments to not raise crops on the land. We were also required to maintain firebreaks. Our contract was renewed when it expired for an additional 10 years at 28/acre/year and we are allowed to thin the plantation and perform tasks necessary for stand improvement. We placed more land in the program in 1993 and those trees were destroyed by fire >:( :( >:( :(. That contract has now expired. Contact your Farm Service Agency to check for eligability and details.

Texas also has a cost share program for planting on land that is not crp eligable. It is called FIP and I think it stands for Forest Incentive Plan. This is a very good plan for anyone who is thinking about planting. No guarantees of receiving assistance, but it seems you can get it if you're patient. I don't know if other states have this program, but it sure does help and is worth looking into.

My planting experiece is limited to pine seedlings, but it is something you can do yourself or hire done. I've done both. I hand planted a 28 acre field that was too wet for mechanical planting. The Forest service also rents(at least they used to)a planter that can be pulled by a tractor. You need 2 people, because one sits on the planter.
Wife and best Friend, 3 girls and a boy, son-in-law, lots of land, horses, cows, and trees. Life is Good

customsawyer

I run a local reforestation company and a portable sawmill but like paschale I do mostley southern yellow pine. I have done some hardwood planting by machine and by hand personely prefer hardwoods to be done by hand. There was alot of good advice in here the best of which happens to be get in touch with some local (registered!!!) forester. that will be able to give you some informed advice about your personal area. best of luck customsawyer
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!