iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fisher-Davis saw mill

Started by egel, February 07, 2007, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

egel

Hi I am new to your forum. I know mort of you are band saw people, but thought some one could help with a project that I am working on for the historical society. I am rebuilding a Fisher-Davis saw mill model 00. I know it was built in St. Louis Mo. about 1890 to1910. Does anyone know where I can find information on this saw or company?
  Where is the spell check on this site?

Thanks for the help, egel

LedlieLogs

Can't help with search egel, but welcome to the fourm. I'll bet some of these folks can help you here. Don't worry about spell chunck, nobody here seems to worry about that kind of thing.
Ledlie
Wildlife Action, GA. A great place for kids. No lights, no phone, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Just the GREAT OUTDOORS and the reason I am learning to mill and build small log cabins.

sawguyver

owwm.com has them listed under Fisher & Davis.

look around that site. good luck

Corley5

Not everybody here is a bandmiller.  Not that I wouldn't like one ;)  The tractor show near me  http://www.walloonlakeflywheelers.org/index.html  has Sinker Davis circle mill.  Don't know if there's any relation there or not.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

tfoley

It's always nice to see Fisher & Davis Sawmill in print,  at least I know there are
a few still around.  I have a No. 1 that belonged to my Dad.  Just started to refurbish
it myself.
    To get to your question,  seems there is very little written about the company.
One book I can think of is THE CIRCULAR SAWMILL , C H WENDEL.  I would like to see
some pictures of yours when you get time.
     If your interested there is a large Fisher & Davis sawmill currently for sale in Watseka,
Illinois. 

Note from admin: Posting ads other then our commerce section is not allowed. Posting third party information like phone numbers is certainly not allowed and is a dangerous practice due to opening yourself up to certain liabilities.

egel

Corley 5, I also have a corley 5 it is a 1966 model that I run with a cummings and we have the edger on it also. I am now looking for planer to put out by the mill.  I retired 2 years ago and rebuilt this corley. I had to build a new husk for it.  I used steel beams and also added a hydraulic drive for the carriage.  Still have a problem with the saw dust drag not sure what I will try next.
                               egel

egel

Tfoley:  Does your Fisher Davis have a metal carriage? The one we have is metal but I don't know if it is original or not. We took the carriage apart and painted it.  I welded the axels and turned them back down, and bought new wheels as some were broke.  One set of bearings was worn so we are going to pour new babet next week. I have the works (I dont know the right name for that part)that move the head  blocks apart and painted, hope I can get it back together.

I can use any and all help!  egel

tfoley

The carriage is wood with metal support.   Long bolts tie everything together.  The carriage also is gear driven. 

tfoley

Here is a picture of what the carriage would be like, from an book, not a very large picture

Thank You Sponsors!