Started by Riggs, July 20, 2012, 11:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH_Conley

Is that what you used to slice it? :D
Bill

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WH_Conley on August 16, 2012, 11:29:06 PM
Is that what you used to slice it? :D

Well-- they kept wandering by while I was milling, and I kept seeing images of them on their side on the sawmill bunks. . . . .  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

red oaks lumber

yesterday one of my sows farrowed 11 piglets great :) bummer side is she was about 10 days early and very little milk so every 2 hours we feed all the piglets using a seringe that makes for a very short night. :( i'm hoping that schedule might only last for a week
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

You are a good man, Steve.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Norm

Well it's not like you were doing anything in your spare time anyways.  ;D

And quit naming the runts after me!  :D

red oaks lumber

atleast  they are male runts i'm naming you :D :D :D ;D i figure at night all i'm doing is laying around
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

pineywoods

Anybody ever have hogs chase down and kill barnyard animals ? In my younger days, we had a few that developed a taste for fresh free range chicken. They usually got a fatal case of lead poison
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

beenthere

For sure I've heard about a horse that had such a desire.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

js2743

pineywoods, my Dad had a sow that would catch every chicken that she could get too. she was quick death on them, just one crunch and it was over. once they get a taste of blood they wont stop, She made some good sausage later that year when it turned cold weather.

muddstopper

I have never had much luck using electric fenceing to keep hogs in. We spent  a few weeks cutting brush and triming a path thru a kudzu patch one summer to let our hogs graze and hopefully eat the kudzu. When we turned the hogs into the new pasture, the first one walked up to the electric fence and stuck his nose to it. Zap! and instead of backing away from the fence, he ran right thru it. The rest followed, straight across the mountain top. We rounded up hogs for days, they didnt come back to where we usually fed them either. To this day, I still believe we are the ones that are responsible for the wild hogs across the river, although it was never our intentions. We went back to woven hog wire. This was about 40 years ago. This isnt to say I havent seen hundreds of hogs being kept inside an electric fence, I have, I just never had any luck doing it.

sandhills

Quote from: muddstopper on September 02, 2012, 05:40:55 PM
I have never had much luck using electric fenceing to keep hogs in. We spent  a few weeks cutting brush and triming a path thru a kudzu patch one summer to let our hogs graze and hopefully eat the kudzu. When we turned the hogs into the new pasture, the first one walked up to the electric fence and stuck his nose to it. Zap! and instead of backing away from the fence, he ran right thru it. The rest followed, straight across the mountain top. We rounded up hogs for days, they didnt come back to where we usually fed them either. To this day, I still believe we are the ones that are responsible for the wild hogs across the river, although it was never our intentions. We went back to woven hog wire. This was about 40 years ago. This isnt to say I havent seen hundreds of hogs being kept inside an electric fence, I have, I just never had any luck doing it.
Ever heard the saying "where there's a will there's a way" ?   ;D  Hogs don't need to come back to feed, they just survive, and I'll bet there was hogs there before your breakout.  We raised ours on dirt lots with electric fence and woven wire behind it, they still got out all the time, did I ever say how much i DON'T miss them!  ;D

Okrafarmer

I've found that pigs can and will get out through almost anything. It's a matter of getting them to want to stay put that counts.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

homesteader shane

My hogs have not got out of the new pen yet and thier going in the frezzer this weekend. looks like a good winter

Thank You Sponsors!