iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black walnut

Started by rooster 58, July 09, 2015, 09:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster 58

I sawed these beautiful  slabs  this morning into 6 & 8/4 thickness.  I felt they would make great coffee table slabs.

drobertson

they look killer Scott!  have to ask, blade got an off set tooth?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

GAmillworker

Thank the Lord for second chances

rooster 58

Yeah Dave
       I actually bent the blade a little the day before when I ran the blade into the end of a log a little too hard. But as they say, it'll plane out ;)

drobertson

Yea, I kinda like the ribs once in awhile, they make nice touch off points,, killer looking live edge man,  I was hoping to get a good walnut tread going, just walnut, but we can use yours too, I don't care, I just simply love walnut when it comes around ya know.  Real glad you got things working your way, and bet you can testify it's a battle getting going,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

rooster 58

Dave you're  right again. You know the history of how I got my 70. It's a great mill, but at 10 yrs. Of age, even with only 198 hrs on it when I bought it,  I had many issues pop up with it.
     And other issues such as log procurement,  cash flow, theft, labor issues, etc. But things are looking up and I'm hoping to broker a sweet deal much like Custom Sawyer has.
     As for the walnut, it is one of my favorite  species. I'd love to run into some that I could make some gun stock  blanks  out of ;)

brianb88

That is some good looking wood
Measure twice, cut once

Planman1954

When sawing walnut, do you add anything to the water for blade lube?
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Planman1954 on July 09, 2015, 10:35:24 PM

When I saw Walnut, I ALWAYS start off with a brand new blade.
I will saw through the log. When I bring the blade back, I wash the blade with lube ( water and soap ) to clean anything that may be on it. I then turn the lube off, let the blade run and sling any lube off and proceed with the next cut.
I do the same thing on each cut. I do not run the lube while cutting. Just my way of doing it.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Wow!  Here we go again. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Y'all treat Walnut like it is "very valuable" or something. ??  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I haven't sawn very many Walnut logs, but some, and when ever I'm sawing Walnut I always use a slow (1 drip/second or so) drip of water with soap mix.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

rooster 58

Thanks for the  replies  guys! I just love to open up a log and see what's inside ;) it's almost like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates  ;D

Magicman

Run Forrest Run.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Magicman on July 10, 2015, 08:06:54 AM
Y'all treat Walnut like it is "very valuable" or something. ??  ???

It often takes me 3-4 opening cuts on the next job after milling walnut to get myself out of "walnut mode".

I don't like to leave anything in the slabs but bark. But then, I've also been known to lick my dinner plate clean after a good meal as well. ;)

rooster 58

Well...... it sure beats sweetgum :D ;D

YellowHammer

Quote from: Planman1954 on July 09, 2015, 10:35:24 PM
I don't saw it any different that than any other hardwood, except faster :D. Cotton picker spindle cleaner and water for lube.  Most logs are small, it's a pretty soft wood, there's lots of sapwood I have to whittle off, knots to dodge, and it's turn and burn.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

YellowHammer

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on July 10, 2015, 07:17:49 PM
I don't like to leave anything in the slabs but bark.
Are you sawing so boards are sapwood heavy on one face and heartwood in the other?  White on one side of the board, dark on the other?

Any time I mill walnut worse than a 50/90 board, (50% heartwood on one side, 90% heartwood on the other) the board warps badly when it dries, pulling toward the sapwood.  Even though it looks flat off the mill, it will warp like a leaf spring when it's dry.  So I take heavy opening cuts, slabbing off white sapwood layers.
What do you guys do? 
Thanks

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

gfadvm

I too slab my walnut like you do with a lot of sapwood on one side of the top and bottom slabs. But I put 6 cement blocks on top of an 8' stack which has helped the cupping.

WDH

I have had the same problem with heavy sapwood on one side and heartwood on the other.  I just end up cutting the bow out by making shorter boards after the wood is dry.  Some people with buy a short walnut board with a lot of color.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bandmiller2

Is it fact or fiction if you let a walnut log sit for a wile the dark will migrate and darken the sapwood.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

rooster 58

I have found that to be so in my limited  experience  with  walnut.  A few months ago I milled some walnut that had been cut for some time. There was little or no sap wood color to it.
     Another  sawmiller buddy of mine says the same thing

JB Griffin

I don't know if the color migrates from the heartwood but the sapwood will darken, or in some cases rot off. ;D
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

WDH

I have seen the sapwood gray stain, but never to the same rich color as the heartwood.

gfadvm

I haven't seen the color migrate into the sapwood. But I have heard that steaming the walnut will stain the sapwood to a closer match with the heartwood. Most of my walnut gets milled within a few days of being cut (I can't wait to see what it looks like!).

Thank You Sponsors!