iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice Sought Re Drawknives + Spokeshaves

Started by plaindriver, December 23, 2012, 02:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plaindriver

Goal is light debarking of branches/logs to be used in making small furniture & tables. Common diameters to be used would range from 2" to 5" max. I see drawknives that are curved, convex and straight. I see blade widths as narrow as 3" and as wide as 12" or more. What will work best for my mission?  I also see 'spokeshaves' but dont think they are for my intended use. thanks
Kubota L4600 DT w/FEL, John Deere 750 4WD w/FEL, PH Digger,RotoTiller,Box Scraper,Disc;16, 18, 20" chainsaws;Troy Built 27T splitter; table saw, radial arm saw,turning lathe, chipper, small backhoe, Isuzu NPR 14' stakeside diesel truck; a wife that still likes me.

plaindriver

Goal is light debarking of branches/logs to be used in making small furniture & tables. Common diameters to be used would range from 2" to 5" max. I see drawknives that are curved, convex and straight. I see blade widths as narrow as 3" and as wide as 12" or more. What will work best for my mission?  I also see 'spokeshaves' but dont think they are for my intended use. thanks
Kubota L4600 DT w/FEL, John Deere 750 4WD w/FEL, PH Digger,RotoTiller,Box Scraper,Disc;16, 18, 20" chainsaws;Troy Built 27T splitter; table saw, radial arm saw,turning lathe, chipper, small backhoe, Isuzu NPR 14' stakeside diesel truck; a wife that still likes me.

scouter Joe

I peel a lot of poles the size you are looking at . If you can find a good Marples draw knife this is what I use on this size . Over 6" i generally use the big draw knive from Barr specialty tools . Quenton Barr also makes the smaller size which would be ideal for your size . Hope this helps scouter Joe

T Welsh

plaindriver, They all work! I think this is more personal preference than which one works best. These are hand tools and they work best with which ones that feel,s best in the one that is in your hand at the moment. I have at least 3 of each that I use all the time and believe me they are used all the time, They are kept razor Sharpe and they all have there place and do what they are intend to do,but they come in different shapes and sizes so you need them all. Once you use them you will never be with out them. Tim

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Plainsdriver, don't forget to post some pics of your handy work. :christmas:
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Don_Papenburg

You will find the spokeshaves to be very handy when you start to make the branches" round".
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

hackberry jake

Spoke shaves are the bees knees for making tool handles. Making tool handles is actually pretty fun to me. You start with a board and end up with a perfectly curved tool handle and a pile of shavings  ;D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Lud

Drawknives work best for debarking/ shaving/ tapering.  I'd suggest finding a heavy,  wide one  for the initial, rough work and a lighter , narrower one for the finishing work.  While a shaving horse might be ideal,  a nice heavy vice mounted to an immovable workbench with a bit of room works fine.

Locking the work in a bit above waist high, explore bevel up and bevel down and how they work for what you want.  Also , I find angling the drawknife both left and right can be helpful going around the branch.  Look to find a rythm of short , sharp controlled strokes for doing ends and long, smooth,  bevel -down,  strokes for debarking.

Your shoulders may ache a bit until you get used to it. ;D ;D :christmas:
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Thank You Sponsors!