iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A frank discussion on chainsaw pants and chaps

Started by Wal Nut, January 02, 2020, 08:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wal Nut

Shopping for chainsaw protective chaps and pants and am focusing on two options although I'm all ears to learn if there's something better. 

The Stihl "Pro-Mark" 9-layer wrap chaps and the Pfanner Gladiator 2 pants. Both seem like quality options that will stop a larger (70CC+) saw in it's tracks. 

Here's where I'm having difficulty, both companies rate their products differently. 

Pfanner lists it's protection level as "Class 2" which refers to the EN381 standard, rated to stop a chainsaw blade travelling 24 m/s which seems pretty good since the EN381 standard tops out at Class 3. 

Stihl lists it's protection level based on the "ASTM 1414", of which there is ZERO information available online. In fact, you have to pay $50+ dollars to even get a copy of the test which seems pretty unprofessional. 

I know the Stihl chaps are good, but if the Pfanners are proven to be better they're not really that much more $ and would seem worth it. But how does one compare the two products, are there other testing protocols that would compare the two? 

Old Greenhorn

There are several threads that discuss this, have you tried a search? There is one here where I pretty much ask the same questions you are https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=103839.msg1614704#msg1614704 I wound up with a set of Elvex pants, BTW. Yes, I agree, it's frustrating. I said as much in the prior thread. The were several other good threads you might want to read through. I learned a lot in those. Good Luck.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Wal Nut

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on January 02, 2020, 09:58:21 PM
There are several threads that discuss this, have you tried a search? There is one here where I pretty much ask the same questions you are https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=103839.msg1614704#msg1614704 I wound up with a set of Elvex pants, BTW. Yes, I agree, it's frustrating. I said as much in the prior thread. The were several other good threads you might want to read through. I learned a lot in those. Good Luck.
Thanks, yes I tried a search although your thread did not come up. As in all the threads that came up (yours included) there was no mention of how one standard correlates to the other, nor which was the better rating system (or pant/chap). There were, however, lots of "everything I read on the internet said they were good" posts, which we all know can be hit or miss. 
This coming year I'll be spending a lot more time cutting, with the overwhelming amount of it alone in a somewhat remote area where cell coverage is very spotty. To spend a few dollars more to wind up with a product that will protect me better is a no brainer to me. 
But with the rating systems the way they are there's no way to tell what's truly better. Or even what's junk. 

Old Greenhorn

I spent a lot of hours trying to parse the different standards against each other. Bottom line is they are all different and you can't really compare the way you and I would like too. Buy quality and look for rated chain speed is all I can tell you. Remember, these are NOT cut proof, they work by clogging and stalling the chain. Look for the best coverage and know that chaps are generally hotter than pants. YMMV. Good Luck.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

tree-farmer

Main thing is wear em.  I have permanent bad knee joint from taking a bit of it with saw a few years back. 
Not to mention over 10 grand in medical bills, chaps are much cheaper. My 2 cents worth.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Thank You Sponsors!