iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eagle Scout Service Project

Started by doc henderson, May 27, 2020, 07:06:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

I am an adult leader for out local Troop 1 as many know.  Our troop has been here for over a hundred years.  The head of our Physical Therapy dept. asked if I could make some new slider boards.  She had heard I occasionally did wood working.  I approaches Zach and his dad Darrel about doing this as a service project.  We plan on making 10.  these are the first 5.  took about 3 hours including discussion and planning.  the next batch will include a few longer and wider "big boy" sliders.  used to help transfer folks from a wheel chair to a bed for example.

planning the Maple.

taking these home to sand and then return for some engraving and then finish.  30 inches long, 7.5 wide and 3/4 thick. they have a handle cut out on the face, but no pic.  Zach did a good job.  even did the router work with my Bosch palm router.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

well Zach got things sanded nicely and returned for some custom engraving.  he and his dad.

maple slider boards for the PT department.  just need a little finish now and he will be done.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

samandothers

Good project! was he able to engage others for the service hours?  Good on you helping Doc!

doc henderson

that was a challenge, but ideally part of the process.  darn covid.  

21incher

That is a great project. Wish more young men were involved in Scouts these days. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

doc henderson

Zach made the presentation of 5 slider boards to the rehab department today.  We will make 5 more in the near future.  Attended by the staff, and CEO & COO of the hospital.  Zach felt like a "big dog"  and seemed happy.  He will have a scoutmaster conference, then and Eagle board of review and be deemed and Eagle scout.  There are other pictures with me but I do not have any.  

doc henderson

that is me between Ken the CEO (blue shirt) and the PT rehab director Lori (middle).  I am the one wearing the flag mask, that was made as a gift from Tammy from way up north in Michigan.  Thanks Again!

stanwelch

Congratulations Zack!!  I know you are proud of him Doc 8)
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

samandothers

Good on him and his family pushing through the journey to become an Eagle!  So many times seems scouts get to Star or Life and things get in the way.  Good for you Doc helping him.

doc henderson

another project done.  Eagle candidate Calvin made a Gaga ball pit for the local (2 blocks from my house) elementary school.  and as they used to say on shake and bake commercials, "and I helped".

driven the old state dump truck to get pea gravel.

Kay is half owner and is careful not to scratch my "Jimmy Carter"  edition 1976 F700 

Walnut Beast

Looks like a job well done and everyone was happy 👍

thecfarm

Looks good!!!
And the wood came from where?

I have young adults that gets hired at the hardware store I work at.
They have no idea how to do anything.  :(  Well build anything that is.
Keep on teaching!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

metalspinner

Love it, Doc!
Once upon a time, I was the scoutmaster for my sons (2) troop. I was also the Playground committee Chair at the Intermediate school. 😉

There are no less than 7 Eagle Projects on that playground. One of them is a Gaga Pit just like the one you pictured. 

One day, you and me will be able to trade stories in person. 
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

doc henderson

The boards are from HD and are the brown colored pressure treated as recommended by the pit bracket maker.  I decided to not intervene as the scout and his dad planned the project a while back, and I would not have a preserved wood for them.  

Ron Scott

~Ron

doc henderson

beginning on a bench for the fraternal order of police camp grounds.  two benches with bases set in concrete out of pressure treated lumber.  seat and back from Catalpa.

Braden and Calven vs the draw knife.  it is a learned skill.  this is how you learn.

samandothers

Nice project for the scout and the bench too.  I did have to look up GaGa Ball, a new one on me.

doc henderson

I joke that it is Lady gaga ball... :).  it is like charcuterie boards, all the kids know about it.  I was told it came from someone overseas like Israel, by a camp counselor.  they came to the US and made a pit.  we played it at camp Alexander, Co first.

SwampDonkey

The more skills ya have the better off you are in the long run. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Larry

Great project for both the Scouts and the police.  Good on ya for running the show!

Catalpa is wonderful wood for the project.  Easy to work and has a long life outdoors.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!