iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber prices too high

Started by livemusic, November 30, 2020, 09:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

livemusic

I was going to build a base deck for a shed and checked prices for a budget and sheesh, the lumber prices have more than doubled since last time I checked months ago. How long do you think this will last before they go back or will they?
~~~
Bill

mike_belben

In the past 2 years theyve actually tripled.  I was paying $5.92 for what is now $17 plus tax.  Yet anytime im in the store guys are loading up.  

It should sell a lot of sawmills.  
Praise The Lord

Wudman

The pine lumber wholesale market is back where it belongs.  I don't know when the retail side will return to normal.  I looked at some $84.00 treated 6x6 posts yesterday and kept on walking.  I want to build a shed as well, but now is not the time.  For framing an ag shed, I would look at #2 common Yellow Poplar at the moment.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

sawguy21

My buddy, a log truck operator, went to buy 2x4s to build raised beds. He went into shell shock, 46 bucks for one 16 footer! It is sure not reflected in what they get paid, the rates are low enough it is hardly worth getting out of bed.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

moodnacreek

Charged a guy $50  ea. for 6x6x10 erc posts the other day. He was not happy.  He knows I raised the price from last year. He had been shopping all over.  I have a different price for those who have been supporting me for years.

LeeB

4x4x8's around here go for $20. That's $1.87/BF. Your 6x6x10 at $50 is a bargain compared to this. I see lots of them asking $75 for 6x6x10.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Southside

Lowe's is showing 2x8-16 for $0.83/ BF. Can't really complain about that. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Lowes gets $17 for 2x6x12 untreated white pine by me.
Praise The Lord

Bruno of NH

A eastern spruce 2x4x10 with all the wain you can ask for is $10.59 at LaValleys building supply
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Walnut Beast

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Southside on November 30, 2020, 08:24:13 PM
Lowe's is showing 2x8-16 for $0.83/ BF. Can't really complain about that.
Lowe's was showing it here for 17.34 & 14.12 in two different locations but they are out of stock everywhere around here. Menards has it in stock for 💰 27.75 🙄

mike_belben

At prices like that, maybe menards bought lowes out.

Praise The Lord

Patrick NC

Quote from: moodnacreek on November 30, 2020, 12:55:44 PM
Charged a guy $50  ea. for 6x6x10 erc posts the other day. He was not happy.  He knows I raised the price from last year. He had been shopping all over.  I have a different price for those who have been supporting me for years.
I sell erc for $2 per bf here. That's $60 for that 6x6. Sells as fast as I can get it. White oak trailer decking is almost the same price. Selling a lot of that too. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

SwampDonkey

The lumber mill yards here are stuffed with lumber, yet Homedepot prices were double.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

PoginyHill

If softwood logs are plentiful in the mill yards, that explains why log prices haven't jumped - no need to encourage more if they are already full. On the lumber side, housing starts is gangbusters. Plus there may be some mill production impact from COVID - limited shifts or limited overtime - and they can't produce the volume that can be sold. Anyone in that situation would raise their price. So something is impacting the supply and demand on the lumber side.
I've heard hardwood mill log yards are not so full, which makes sense with some comments of rising hardwood log prices made here.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

mike_belben

Prices boil down to 2 simple answers.

"Because we can"

And

"Because we couldnt"

Praise The Lord

kantuckid

Quote from: Patrick NC on December 02, 2020, 08:24:52 PM
Quote from: moodnacreek on November 30, 2020, 12:55:44 PM
Charged a guy $50  ea. for 6x6x10 erc posts the other day. He was not happy.  He knows I raised the price from last year. He had been shopping all over.  I have a different price for those who have been supporting me for years.
I sell erc for $2 per bf here. That's $60 for that 6x6. Sells as fast as I can get it. White oak trailer decking is almost the same price. Selling a lot of that too.
There are three different ERC companies in my end of KY. All export ERC cants and will gladly sell to a drive up buyer at market prices.  FB marketplace has many SYP sellers who are buying spot market bundles from southern producers of PT and untreated  given the high SPF prices in box stores. I see ~ 75cents/BF or less in bulk buys. Same thing for small mills with ERC lumber-they prefer to sell to a drive up vs a haul bill sale.  EWP near me is ~ 55-65 cents BF in rough sawed, poplar varies but often cheap in wet as WO stave logs are the loggers money wood here right now, not pine at all. Many local mills will not buy a pine log in spite of the box store prices. Many mills here own the timber and tell their log crews to leave the pines in the woods right now. 
IMO, the sad aspect of the ERC business is the decent but smaller logs that go into somebodies pet poopy material. Might be a cash crop for some loggers but seems a waste to my mind when they could be made into an end product beside shavings. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

GRANITEstateMP

I just got a handful of 2x6x12 from a local lumber yard, $9 ea with my contractor discount
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

dgdrls

2x4x10's  $9.96 SPF

and saw these

tamarackman

Quote from: dgdrls on March 09, 2021, 05:47:04 PM
2x4x10's  $9.96 SPF

and saw these

I've never seen 5x5 posts in my local hardware stores.
What are everyone's opinion on what will happen to the price of lumber in the short to medium term?

Andries

Quote from: PoginyHill on December 03, 2020, 07:50:37 AM. . . Plus there may be some mill production impact from COVID - limited shifts or limited overtime - and they can't produce the volume that can be sold. . . . 
Doubt that. 
Meat packing plants have super crowded working conditions and have maintained production numbers.
The high demand comes from virus constrained people that are now competing and paying for new houses, home reno's and all manner of residential  projects.
The deep pockets on Bay St and Wall St. are choking back production to goose the prices/profits. 
Watch for prices on hardwoods and softwoods to decline, when our world finds a new normal, post vaccinations and restrictions. 
Keep on milling all you sawyers out there!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Ed_K

1k bf spf on wall street has been staying right around $880. this week so far.
Ed K

g_man

Yesterday a neighbor asked me if we could go over to Home Despot in my pick up to get a sheet of plywood. Well he bought one sheet of 1/2" fir CDX for $52.00. I couldn't believe it. I would have walked out - talk about prices to high. I'm a little out of touch, maybe even a lot,  but that seems ridiculous.

gg

g_man

Quote from: Ed_K on March 11, 2021, 07:08:15 AM
1k bf spf on wall street has been staying right around $880. this week so far.
Is that lumber or logs Ed ??
gg

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Andries on March 09, 2021, 08:21:40 PM

The high demand comes from virus constrained people that are now competing and paying for new houses, home reno's and all manner of residential  projects.
But where is the money coming from? There is a lot of household debt out there, a lot. With job losses and uncertainty out there. You've go to have a real stable job to get a mortgage. The guy working 40 hrs for $10/hr at a processing plant (meat or veggies) isn't getting a mortgage and certainly could never pay for a new construction. Where were they in the good times? Are these the same people buying stock high and selling low? No wonder the money people walk around with big smiles on their faces. Your CERB cheque in Canada or your COVID cheque in the USA isn't going to buy a house. If that is the case it's going to all fall down. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!