iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pizza Peels

Started by metalspinner, June 06, 2021, 05:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

In between all the work on the shop, I squeezed in these pizza peels. These were made for a friend who will gift them. They have a traditional Friday night Pizza night in their family. One of their children are getting married and will receive this as a gift.  

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Andries

Nice work Mr Spinner!
I bet they'll be grinning from ear to ear when they see those two works of art.
I'm admiring the swoopy white lines - are they inlays or part of the glue up laminates?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Dan_Shade

Any concerns of the glue letting loose due to heat? 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

metalspinner

No more so than any other pizza peel glue up.
I did ask how they cook their pizzas. If they had mentioned a wood fired pizza oven, I wouldn't have been so extravagant. But, they are just using this in their kitchen oven to take the pizza in and out.

We have a local beer place that has a mobile pizza guy out on Friday nights. He uses a big wood fired brick oven that gets up to 900degrees. His peel is a maple glue up. And he keeps it there for 20 seconds at a time spinning and moving the pizzas around.

With that being said, no warranty is expressed or guaranteed. 😂

Andries, those strips are part of the lamination.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

I like the curvaceous handle. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

aigheadish

Wow, those're very pretty!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Jeff

A privilege to be spanked with those are!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

samandothers

Wow, great job!  Very creative designs.  What a wonderful gift!

Jeff you need a pretty big butt to use those as paddles! 

kantuckid

FWIW, at 200 degrees is when typical yellow wood glue (such as Titebond I, II or III) gets soft and then releases. At that temp it sort of reminds you of a nearly hard contact cement. I've used heat guns to make this happen in doing a repair. I learned this from a call to the tech folks at Titebond. I will ad that it's very easy to burn the wood surface to achieve that temperature internally down within a wood joint. 

That said, I have no idea about heat for a pizza peel? Probably not long enough to matter? 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Ljohnsaw

That is just stunning.  Obviously book matched, but how do you get those not-straight joints?  I'm guessing a band saw is involved and you layer the wood to cut both pieces at the same time.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!