iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White pine paneling

Started by forrestM, June 11, 2021, 02:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forrestM

hello,

I plan on using white pine for wall covering in my house. I plan to put rosin paper over my insulated stud bays, and then put up the pine with a simple shiplap. 

I am planning to cut at 7/8" and finish to 5/8" after kiln drying to 6-8 percent. 

How wide of a panel do you think I can get away with for white pine? Without cupping, that is. 

Thanks,
Forrest

Southside

Mountain or low land grown? Around here White Pine can grow 1"  per year and is less stable than if it grown in a slower environment. 

I would not dry pine down that low. Below 10% and it will be difficult to plane and mill. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

forrestM

These came from a mixed forest, and have pretty close rings. If drying to 10 percent for indoor use, how much shrinkage will I expect? Since these are on the slower growing side, would 9 inch widths be pushing it for 5/8 final thickness?

Thanks!

Southside

Grew up seeing plenty of "wide plank" white pine, all northern grown.  Can't say much was over 8" wide unless it was really, really, old stuff - as in Colonial Era.  Crook might be more of an issue over shrink if you are going to make long pieces.  My rule of thumb is allow 1" over, but if 9" is your goal then I would aim for 10.5" green if it were me.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

kantuckid

My few partition walls in our log home are all done in T&G EWP-air dried, boards were sawed 4/4 in 6-8-10" widths. Been there 40+ years. In my basement I covered all the foundation walls with reverse board and batten EWP, kiln dried and 6 & 8" widths. Been there maybe 25-30 years. None are cupped and over time they do color up some from UV & air exposure. It's a very docile wood to dry & work with in my experience. I've had good luck drying it upwards of 12" widths.   All of the trim wood in my house is also EWP, air dried too. All my joists, rafters, beams, roof decking, etc. are EWP-everything except the wall logs which are YP. 
Locally for some years now, Yellow Poplar is manufactured into T&G paneling-mostly 6"- and some also use it for flooring in rustic style floors. My basement EWP was done by a poplar mfg. near me who burned down a few years back. They KD my EWP boards with their own material and milled my paneling. 
I'd choose the reverse B&B style always over T&G for ease of installation.    
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

tacks Y

I do a lot with EWP 12" and have no problems cupping. That said I have not kiln dried any and some goes up green. My cathedral ceiling is random width just air dried some what.

Thank You Sponsors!