iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trader’s remorse

Started by Jseiple, March 05, 2022, 05:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jseiple

I traded my 22 year old ms361 for a 1 year old 391 that guy said couldn't keep a muffler on it.  
 I got broken bolts out, helicoiled it, muffler back on, took it outside, and 2nd cut it locked up tight on me.   
 Fella I traded feels bad, but he's in love with my 361.  He said he'd give me a 311 to use for parts for the 391.   
...so I could have two saws eventually..but I'm just heartbroken that I traded a running professional saw for a broken farm/ranch saw.

Which puts me where I should have been..at the Stihl store.   I'm looking at either another 361 (new) or dropping down to a 261 (new) (easier on the shoulder).   I cut a fair amount of locust and cherry for firewood, and do a good bit of large poplar and pine timber frame/log homes/barns.   
  I doubt I'll notice the drop in power from a old 361 to a new 261, but don't know.   I also don't want a fleet of saws.   I already have a 881 and a 170. ..and now two rebuild projects, 311, 391.

My 361 was awesome for a "one size fits all" and always took my 170 with me just in case/limbing/etc.  

Rebuild the 391 and be happy?  
Or get new 361 or 261 and rebuild later when I have the time?

Tacotodd

I dislike working on & using anything but a pro saw. I've worked on home/farm-ranch saws before and I didn't like doing it. No they weren't mine I was doing a favor for a friend. But that doesn't mean that I'm going to like working on that type of saw. 

HOWEVER, having any running saw at your disposal is always better than not having one. I realize that only having one is not your problem, so I thought that I'd respond in kind.

My $.2
Trying harder everyday.

Jseiple

My thoughts exactly.   As I took the 391 apart, I fell out of love with it, so much different than a pro saw.    Every step "well there could be my next problem"

lxskllr

I'd go with a new saw, and hold on to the 391 as future parts saw in case another carcass falls in your lap or something. Sometimes you just lose, and it doesn't make sense to try to recover value from a bad deal(sunk cost fallacy).

You might want to look into a 400. Sounds like you're doing some big trees, and the 400 weighs slightly more than a 362, but brings a good bit more power. I don't believe in a 'one size fits all' saw aside from very casual users. If you wanted to save some money, you could add an echo cs400 to the Stihl ms400, and along with your 170, you'd have a nice selection that would cover just about anything you wanted to do, The cs400 is a very capable saw, very light, and about $300.

B.C.C. Lapp

If it was me I'd go get myself a new 361. Or a 362.    In the long run you'll be glad you did.
Also it  don't sound  like you'll ever be happy with the home owner saw and you won't enjoy using it. 
To me works a lot more fun when your tools are just what you want them to be. 
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Jseiple

Started taking the 391 apart..ended up being a broken bolt wedged against magneto.   Glad it was that simple, but again, why?  
Pro saw bound.  Learned my lesson.  391 will make a good backup.  
362 is going to make a great new saw.  
And I'm pretty sure with a good guilt trip and a $100 bill can get the ol 361 back 

mike_belben

Quote from: Jseiple on March 05, 2022, 06:54:30 AM
My thoughts exactly.   As I took the 391 apart, I fell out of love with it, so much different than a pro saw.    Every step "well there could be my next problem"
i hate working on stihl low/mid end saws. you need 4 tiny hands.  i feel like they engineered them that way so that weekend warriors would just go buy another at the first attempt to repair.
Praise The Lord

sawguy21

I never liked the MS290/390 saws, too heavy for the power. What length bar are you using?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Gary Davis

I had a ms 390 and a 036 that needed a top end I kept the 036 and gave the 390 away , the 036 was lighter more compact and has more mower then the 390

Gary Davis

I must say that I liked the ms 390 it was a good saw  i just like the 036 better

Jseiple

Quote from: sawguy21 on March 05, 2022, 11:44:12 AM
I never liked the MS290/390 saws, too heavy for the power. What length bar are you using?
18-20" bars.    Yes, about the weight, I don't care for how heavy the 391 is vs power either.  
May end up keeping the 391 though  to put a mini mill on to help square timbers after the 881 slabs them.  

barbender

So my question after all of this, is why did you make this trade in the first place?🤔
Too many irons in the fire

Spike60

Don't think you should need a $100 bill to get your old 361 back. The helicoil repair job would be between $50 and $100 at the average shop, so that should be more than enough if you feel you need to sweeten the deal a little. If this guy is anything close to a decent friend then he'll recognize that you'd really like your old saw back. And getting his year old 391 repaired for nothing is a win for him as well.

One thing's for sure: For you, that 361 is the very definition of "all time facorite saw" and you'll forever regret this deal if you don't get it back. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Jseiple

Quote from: barbender on March 05, 2022, 10:55:42 PM
So my question after all of this, is why did you make this trade in the first place?🤔
My 361 was showing signs of its age...thought that the 391 would be a good replacement for the price and didn't know it was much more of a pain to work on than the 361.  In other words, it was a quick decision while getting gas at a convenient store. 

Jseiple

Quote from: Spike60 on March 06, 2022, 07:18:48 AM
Don't think you should need a $100 bill to get your old 361 back. The helicoil repair job would be between $50 and $100 at the average shop, so that should be more than enough if you feel you need to sweeten the deal a little. If this guy is anything close to a decent friend then he'll recognize that you'd really like your old saw back. And getting his year old 391 repaired for nothing is a win for him as well.

One thing's for sure: For you, that 361 is the very definition of "all time facorite saw" and you'll forever regret this deal if you don't get it back. :)
The $100 bill would be offered only if I got to keep both saws.   😂.   He thinks the 391 is hexed and dislikes Stihl because he could never keep a muffler on that saw since it was new.  He's going Echo now, so really no loss to him.  He cuts firewood when he's not farming...but for some reason never buys a pro/commercial saw.    

barbender

Maybe go get yourself a sweet new ms400 and forget about the whole sordid affair😊
Too many irons in the fire

Fishnuts2

His new Echo if it's a 590, will have a Pro-build design unlike his previous saw. He should get along just fine.

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: barbender on March 06, 2022, 02:25:02 PM
Maybe go get yourself a sweet new ms400 and forget about the whole sordid affair😊
I've been running a MS400 and believe me, barbenders suggestion is a good one. So far for me, power to weight, easy starting and problem free running has got me convinced. I little  more pricey than a 362 but worth it.

Gary Davis

Spike60

@Jseiple So, how did this story end? Did you get the 361 back?
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Al_Smith

I'm not going to mean mouth the clam shell models because they do cut wood .However I do ,like others prefer the pro models with removable cylinders. Every clam shell I have has been freebies and frankly they are shelf queens .I do have several boxes of older 029/039 parts that couldn't carry the load in tree service work .Conversely an older 038 magnum from the 80's plus an 034 mag .Both tree service saws  .Although they were shot when I got them and required a rebuild will still keep up with anything made today .Were talking 25-30  years old . I'd say that's pretty good . 

Jseiple

😅.   391, after putting helicoils in it to hold the muffler on..worked through beginning of winter before helicoils fell out.  Going to get an aftermarket jug for it and fix when I get the time.  Bought a 362 and haven't looked back.  He's still got my 361 and it's still running like a champ.  
  An aside, I bought a winch and mounted a receiver on the top of my box blade on my farm tractor and it makes fetching downed locust an absolute pleasure.  Couple the winch with the 362, firewood is no longer a chore. 

B.C.C. Lapp

Good decision. I have three 362's now.  Love em.   With a twenty inch bar they are an awesome saw for most of what I do.  

Thank You Sponsors!