iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tablesaw- Binding Cut???

Started by kantuckid, March 16, 2022, 05:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kantuckid

Table saw binding cut means, in this case, that as I approached the end of each 14' x 2 x 6 pine board, using a jointed edge against the Biesemeyer fence, the last 18-24" would bind badly as I was straight-lining these boards. This was occurring with a set-up that had processed well over a hundred such cuts in 10' and ~ 75 previously in these 14',s. I was using two roller stands, in and out. 
I took a 6 week FL hiatus and came back to this issue. 
(What likely happened is I cleaned out the edgings from that area just before we left on vacation and knocked that one pedal into the up position. Our TN son was rebuilding an antique staircase and needed shims to place his new treads on the original stringers)

After I rechecked the blade and fence settings I couldn't figure it out until finally I noticed the big red plastic foot "pedal" thingy that allows the saw to roll via a mobile base was jiggered on the outbound edge of the table. As soon as I re-positioned the pedal, all was well.

Sharing what was a really odd experience and very hard to notice, especially given the many edgings piled all over the area of the pedals. I've been using that base on my PM model 66 and previously on a Grizzly saw for many years and never had that happen.   
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

beenthere

Helps to keep a clean workplace. Often see pics of workshop spaces where walking around equipment has to be some difficult. 

Glad you found the cause of your mis-cuts. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kantuckid

Yes! clean shop floors! I was trained that way in apprenticeship and before that in Jr High shop class. 

See below:

I pile them "out of my walk space"!!!!!!!!!!!! which is/was ok until I picked em up and tripped the mobile base pedal. The out of the way spot is between the saws base and the two large piles of lumber. The user side of the saw is the walking path and feed the saw space. 

So my point stands as it was when cleaning up that the issue came about. Just a heads up post for a weird event in my experience of many years making sawdust.  

FairFrank

Quote from: beenthere on March 16, 2022, 07:15:29 PM
Helps to keep a clean workplace. Often see pics of workshop spaces where walking around equipment has to be some difficult.

It should be a rule for a whole life! kantukid, what table saw are you using now? I've heard a lot of alternatives now I'm just trying to choose a decent one from this list 

SwampDonkey

In my old shop, walking around equipment was a task for sure. Not because of a mess around, but space to work in. But yeah, always clean and 'check your machines' regularly. Stuff is still going to happen, I agree. :)

Take care.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

kantuckid

Quote from: FairFrank on March 29, 2022, 12:59:17 AM
Quote from: beenthere on March 16, 2022, 07:15:29 PM

It should be a rule for a whole life! kantukid, what table saw are you using now? I've heard a lot of alternatives now I'm just trying to choose a decent one from this list
My saw is a Powermatic Model 66. I bought it off of the original owner who was a black guy in outskirts of DC (he had a welding and fabrication business-he mfg trash compactors) who was on a heart pump and slowed down lifestyle waiting for a transplant. I repainted it, set up all the specs and re-painted the Biesemeier fence. My thread issue was to point out that even when you clean up stuff things can go awry. My entire problem was that the saws mobile base was in the wrong position from my cleaning up the pile of sidecuts. That canted the saw such that when the 14' 2x6's were about 2/3 way through the cut the canted board caused a blade pinch. 
Try this for shop safety issue: As I proceeded to run my 2x6's thru the router table for T&G operation via a custom bit set I had made some years ago, a wood chip off the router, got past my safety gear and went down my throat and stuck on my adams apple/larynx area! I finally went to an ER and they referred me back to my own county clinic which was who I'd called for advice in the first place. I complained of the waste of time & money then they decided to refer me to an ENT doc who could actually do an endoscopic of my throat. She did that, found nothing but also sent me for a throat scan this week as a preventative-no results as yet but the wood chips been gone from my throat awhile. 
A guy I know who owns a sawmill, I was telling my wood chip tale, he then told me that he was once doing contracting to recover areas of strip mines and one of his chainsaw operators actually swallowed so many saw chips that he had a stomach blockage! 

Thank You Sponsors!