iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Live edge cabinet door questions

Started by DMcCoy, March 24, 2022, 11:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMcCoy

I have been mulling over cabinets for the vardo build.  I have a lot of birdseye maple from big leaf maple, so it's a pretty soft maple by eastern standards.   I have been considering turning the live edge inside so I can have a square outside and using 1/4" cherry plywood for the panel - so a sunk panel look if there is such a term.
Has anyone tried this before?
Are the inside corners impossible?
Any experiences would be helpful.
Thanks
Dave

jcalderera

Hi DMcCoy,

Maybe this is generally what you are talking about....

I made this bench in the "reverse live edge" style.  Full credit for the design goes to Ishitani Furniture.  I found his bench on the interwebs, liked it, and did the best I could to replicate it.  

This bench is cherry with walnut legs and "bowties" (don't know the correct term).

If you search Ishitani Furniture, you'll probablly find his beautiful reverse live edge bench.

Your Vardo wagon is just jaw dropping.  Thanks for sharing your work steps.  

<b

r>

DWyatt

I would think that the inside corners would be very difficult. The inconsistencies in the live edge and sap wood width. On a 2.5" average width face frame, you are losing 5" of the live edge portion to make the miter which could result in a poor matchup of the live edge miter. The way to reduce that is to have very consistent live edge pieces or fake a live edge to make things match, kind of defeating the purpose of live edge.

Crusarius

I would be very interested in seeing something like this.

Don't use a miter on the corner use a cope? perhaps that is not the correct term. But something like that.

DMcCoy

jcalderera - Thanks, and that is a beautiful bench!  We call them bowties here too.
Yes, but with a wider gap of course.
DWyatt- agree.  I was thinking this over yesterday.  I'm thinking half lap corners, straight pieces for rails and styles until the bottom which would have the live edge wobbling on the inside.  Just 1 piece live edge.   I also think it would be overwhelming to have too much of both birds eye and live edge.  Sometimes less is more. I will make a sample and see.

Thank You Sponsors!