iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain recommendation for Husky saws

Started by John26, April 08, 2022, 02:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John26

Hi new here I stumble across this site looking for new chains. I would like to get some recommendations on chains I currently run 2 Husky saws 288XP and a Rancher 55, and will be building 2 new saws 346XP and 357XP. I mostly cut firewood and some brush, most of the firewood is dead hardwood. I would like to run 1 pitch and 1 gauge for all 4 saws. I currently have all 3/8 mostly 0.050 and some 0.058. Her is what bars I would like to run on what saw
288xp 88cc 20" - 36" bar lengths
55rancher 55cc 16" - 18"bar length
246xp 50cc 16" bar length
357xp 58cc 20" bar length

lxskllr

What are you looking for exactly? Brand? Style? I like Stihl semichisel chain. It'll hold up a little better cutting junky stuff. Oregon and Carlton are the other worthwhile players. Oh, and Husqvarna's in house brand. The 246 might be a little iffy running ⅜", but it should work.

Oddman

That can be done pretty easily, i ran a 3/8 16" bar on a 346xp I had years ago. Personally I would set them all up with 3/8 .050 bars and buy a roll of chain that you like. Ive been running the newer oregon full chisel and really like it. I think its the EXL stuff. One benefit of running 50 gauge bars is that you can eventually start running 58 gauge on em after they get real sloppy with the 50. That may sound pretty redneck to some folks but I've seen it done.

Oddman

For dead hardwood I prefer full chisel, brush on the other hand sounds like it entails alot of cutting at ground level and thats more suited to semi chisel.
Either one will work for each job at the end of the day, I'm just picky and know what i like.

Colonel428

Hey John.  I've been using the Husqvarna c83 chain in 3/8, .05.  I love chain - it's very sharp out of the box and sharpens well.  The only problem is it's only offered in full chisel which is great for felling trees and clean cuts off the ground.  But in dirty wood or if you contact the ground at all, forget it.  The full chisel goes dull very quickly.  Semi chisel is a bit slower thru the cut but stays sharper longer and is much more forgiving if you ground the chain.  I have both full and semi chisel depending on what I cut.  I buy my loops off Ebay.  For full chisel it's "lawnmowerpartsworld" out of Myrtle Beach, SC.  You can make offers on the c83 chain and I've been able to get loops up to 28" regularly under $20.  For the semi chisel I just bought some Archer loops from "Archer plus".  Decent price but I haven't used the chain enough to really give an honest opinion yet.  Steve.

rank

I watched a youtube video the other day.  This guy was testing all different brands of chain. Stihl, Husky and Oregon were within a hair's breadth of one another performance wise but Oregon was by far the best value when you factor in price.

rusticretreater

I have been using Oregon 72EXL72 20" full chisel chains on my Husq 562XP.  At $20 from the local co-op, its been good.  I did just order two off of Amazon at $32.  With free shipping from prime, its a few bucks of savings.

Prior to going that route, I priced out a full spool of chain to see if making them was less expensive.  As I do not have a chain breaker or a rivet spinner those were included in the calcs.  I always buy better tools for the longer service life and quality results so that upped my numbers.  Figuring the number of chain loops I would get and adding it all up, I came up even on costs.  So I just order for right now.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

weimedog

I've been real happy with the Husqvarna branded C83 & 85 (.050 & .058 ) chain. Pretty much has obsoleted my Oregon as I can't GET any Oregon LGX and ELX locally. 
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Thank You Sponsors!