iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw sharpening

Started by Wlmedley, April 16, 2022, 10:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHansen

Any photos of the Guide Bar Edge Shaper?   The 2-1 Chain file does look like the Stihl version.

Old Greenhorn

Pferd came up with the original design and Stihl has a license agreement to sell them with their own colors, it's the same tool. but Pferd may have more variety available than Stihl. The bar dressing tool is pretty standard, had one for years and it works well. A short file section in a squaring block. Which reminds me, I should look at my bars and see if any are due for dressing, it's winter after all.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Andries

Quote from: DHansen on February 02, 2023, 09:42:55 PMAny photos of the Guide Bar Edge Shaper? 

Chainsaw milling with a long bar and  a Gransberg type of guide led me to use this bar dresser a dozen years ago. It works well, is simple and easy to use.
How do you know that you need to use one? Ever slice your thumb open on a rolled-over bottom edge of the bar? This dresser squares up the edges of the bar - just like getting a good sharpening done on your CCM Tacks. (glaciated people joke) 😁
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Walnut Beast

Thanks for the pictures! That bar dresser is on sale at the place I got mine for 27 and some change and free shipping.  Baileys has it for like 45 bucks

Magicman

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on February 02, 2023, 10:32:41 PMStihl has a license agreement to sell them with their own colors, it's the same tool. but Pferd may have more variety available than Stihl.
Just be aware that a 7/32" file will not fit into a 13/64" Stihl 2-1.  My Stihl dealer does not carry a Stihl 2-1 that will accept a 7/32" file.

My Stihl chains are 13/64" from the factory, not 7/32".  Of course after the first 7/32" filing they are now 7/32".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Walnut Beast

That company has all the bases covered on all the different sizes with different 2 in 1 tools for all different sizes 

Magicman

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on February 02, 2023, 10:32:41 PMbut Pferd may have more variety available than Stihl.
Which is what he said.   :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lxskllr

My dresser is Oregon branded, but it's pretty clearly made by Pferd.

I like the 13/64 for a file. Gives a little more leeway for adjustment, and fits better when the tooth gets small.

Sod saw

When I touch up a chain, I don't bother marking the chain where I start filing.  I just start where the master link is and when it comes around, I know to change sides with the file till that master link comes around again then I'm done.   Takes me longer to do it that than explain it.  Yup, I'm slow with the file.

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

Seachaser

I usually file by hand. Occasionally use the Pferd to get the rakers down. Damaged chains goes to my dealer and he sharpens with a machine while I wait. My dealer is less than two miles away.  For those of you that like the Dremel, try the Milwaukee 12v. Hardly pick up my Dremel since I got it. 

Magicman

If I am on a sawmilling job and the chain dulls, I swap it for a sharp chain and keep working.  To stop and sharpen would idle my customer and/or tailgunners which would be unacceptable.  Those dull chains go to my Stihl dealer for resharpening @$5 each.  If there are several on a job, I make a line item on my invoice for chain resharpening.  During normal circumstances, I touch the chain up during my lunch break.  I keep about a dozen chains in rotation.

I have a Timberline sharpener but the Stihl/Pferd 2-1 is my go-to.

barbender

I bought one of the Milwaukee 12 volt rotary tools, mostly for touching up chains on my firewood processor. It is hard to get a file on it and make a stroke, where the rotary tool makes quick work of it. Since I have it, I use it on my chainsaw chains all the time, too. Rocked chains or ones that need trued up go to the bench grinder.
Too many irons in the fire

Walnut Beast

Pretty impressed with the excellent prices, fast free shipping, free files and free fuel saver with my other goodies from Centerline. I'm going to try a few of their fuel and hydraulic snakes or whatever you would call them. The one I got says it's good for up to two years. 

DHansen

The Pfred here at the local saw shop is $44.00 US.  The Stihl branded one is $33.00 US.  I think the Stihl dealer is discounting the price or was still marked with last year's price.   

teakwood

Quote from: Magicman on February 04, 2023, 10:23:27 AMTo stop and sharpen would idle my customer and/or tailgunners which would be unacceptable. 

I sharp a 20" chain with the 2in1 faster than swapping out the chain. it's hand down the best sharping tool IMO
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Walnut Beast

To me it's faster to sharpen the chain than jacking around putting another one on.

Magicman

I understand, but in my situation I am using my chainsaw at the sawmill to extract foreign metal so it's not just a chain that needs touching up.  I too have the 2-1 sharpener and regularly use it.

Yesterday I hit deck screws twice so sharpening that chain would sorta be a recovery effort.  My quickest option, by far, was to swap the chain and keep on keeping on. 

Skeans1

Quote from: teakwood on February 18, 2023, 06:54:57 AM
Quote from: Magicman on February 04, 2023, 10:23:27 AMTo stop and sharpen would idle my customer and/or tailgunners which would be unacceptable.  

I sharp a 20" chain with the 2in1 faster than swapping out the chain. it's hand down the best sharping tool IMO

Quote from: Walnut Beast on February 18, 2023, 07:03:52 AM
To me it's faster to sharpen the chain than jacking around putting another one on.
I've heard for years guys say that so I timed myself one day swapping a chain in the brush it takes under 2.5 minutes on a 36 including adjusting, can you hand file both sides that fast and be accurate?

DHansen

I was looking at Walnut Beast photos of his new bar dresser tool.  I noticed the tool has changed slightly.  His does look like the file is held in place by hand presser on the handle verses a set screw and knob.   Any pros or cons?   

As to sharpen the chain verses replace the chain, I think having the option and ability to do either or and know when one verses the other is the better option.  We all have to make that decision on our own based on the situation.  The situation and circumstance will dictate our action.  

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Skeans1 on February 18, 2023, 08:51:55 AM
Quote from: teakwood on February 18, 2023, 06:54:57 AM

Quote from: Walnut Beast on February 18, 2023, 07:03:52 AM
I've heard for years guys say that so I timed myself one day swapping a chain in the brush it takes under 2.5 minutes on a 36 including adjusting, can you hand file both sides that fast and be accurate?
I understand that on longer stuff but are you swapping a 25" or a 28" When you do take them off figure all the time getting them done. Is a few more minutes going to devastate the whole operation. Seems like most loggers are sharpening

Walnut Beast

It will be interesting with the 2 in 1 file. But when I was sharpening with the Dremel I was throwing big chips all the time and never touched the rakers

Skeans1

@Walnut Beast 

Time yourself sometime and see how long it takes you to go around the 24 or 28 it might surprise you. Cutting production time is money so is saving out wood so having stuff be predictable is a must for me. Well the cover is off I can clean out the clutch cover real quick to help with heat. At the end of the day do I gain much? Maybe another stick on the ground that's bucked which could be the difference in the number of loads out that day.

As far as dropping the rakers vs motif you're pushing at all on the handle bar those rakers need dropped the saw should self feed into the cut. Most of my chains I actually have to slightly hold them back a little the couple of cuts so that as they dull they cut great as I get tired throughout the day.

Thank You Sponsors!