iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree ID Georgia

Started by trimguy, May 14, 2022, 04:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trimguy

My brother-in-law dropped this off today. It blew over the other day in his neighbors yard. I do not have any leaves. Can you tell what it is from these pictures?
I'm assuming, that with the twist in it, it's gonna be hard to get anything to dry flat ?

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

trimguy

I was wondering if it was some kind of an elm. But I don't know my trees very good at all. It's something else I need to work on.

Magicman

Well da great perspicacious guru will show up   :P  and then we both will know.  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

KEC

Cut end suggests Hackberry.

WDH

Perspicacity aside, it is red maple.  

As @barbender would say, Lynn, you are becoming quite sesquipedalian.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

No velleity from me.  ;D

kantuckid

I'll be damned! :D that's actually a word, albeit not one I can pronounce. Honestly, I was really proud of myself to remember it long enough to google it. 
I did guess the tree OK though.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

trimguy

Well, I'm on a roll, wrong again.😂 Thanks everyone.

KEC

The bark does not scream hackberry but the cut end does. I don't recall ever seeing Red Maple that looks like that cut end and I've hauled a lot of Red Maple. Maybe take some pics of the sawn wood and see how it dries.

Raider Bill

Professor long words has spoken. 😆
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

barbender

Would I say that?🤔😂
Too many irons in the fire

WDH

Old ye of little faith.......that is what red maple heartwood looks like here in the blazing hot South.  Bark is perfect too.  Hackberry bark down here looks nothing like that. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

KEC

For the sake of discussion, I will try to get a bark photo of Red Maple and Hackberry from my area and, if possible, the cut end of Red Maple and Hackberry. I understand that Hackberry has that "warty" look but many trees bark gets rough as they age.

WDH

Hackberry is ring porous.  The end grain in the pic appears to me to be diffuse porous.  Red maple is diffuse porous. 

Thank You Sponsors!