iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The latest greatest

Started by Firewoodjoe, July 27, 2022, 04:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

I'm always looking for equipment. Non stop. And looking to see what had been good or popular. I seen a chart from Sweden that showed John Deere's sales jumped in 2020. They sold twice as many forwarders than the next competitors. Komatsu was second and ponsse third. I know they are popular around here. I'd say ponsse is second. Anyone see anything else gaining popularity? Brands or models of anything. 

barbender

Not like that in MN at all. Deere has been losing ground to Ponsse for quite a while. I'd guess 60/40 Ponsse to Deere, and other than that the odd older Fabtek or a Timberpro. I've never seen a Komatsu, there were a few Valmets but they kind of shot themselves in the foot years back by getting the equipment up here without anyone that could service them. Service is the main thing selling machines for Ponsse in these parts.
Too many irons in the fire

shelby78

Sales alone with supply issues means nothing. It may be that deer had parts to build more machines than the other guys and not that's what people want but what they had to buy.

Firewoodjoe

True very true. I think the only reason ponsse is gaining ground here is service. They should be better, that's all they do is ctl woods equipment. Deere has everything and ours does komatsu dirt equipment also. Just interesting though. 191 vs 98 is a lot of a difference. 

nativewolf

Deere sold a lot of equipment in Russia, a lot.  I think the JD CTL stuff is still made in sweeden and Russia made huge purchases of forestry equipment in 2018-21.  

I expect you'll see Russia sales dry up and all 3 CTL companies show big moves down.  Also some of the big boggies were made in Ukraine and they all are looking for alternatives.  

Tigercat forwarders and  wheeled harvesters seem like something to use out west on big clearcuts.  CTL wise it really was the big 3 when I was looking.  You are more mechanical that we are so there is also Rottne pulling up a very very distant 4th place.  
Liking Walnut

Firewoodjoe

Just to be clear I was curious any item. Not just forwarders. But I'd rather talk forestry equipment anyways lol  And I hope to be in a position to someday up date so always gathering info. And yes rottne is here. I can only think of one new machine and that's a forwarder. They liked it. The dealer is small and deals in other brands so not sure how that would be. I think everything will be making moves down unfortunately unless things change fast this down word motion doesn't look good. I was told not to worry but jeez. 

rusticretreater

John Deere is now their own worst enemy.  They have restricted many of the parts and repair pipelines to their dealer network who are unable to respond to elevated customer needs during key times.  They have really angered the bigger farmers that need fast reliable service, especially during harvest times and raised repair costs significantly.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

78NHTFY

Firewoodjoe--just happened on to the Elmia Wood 2022 forestry expo video.  Shows a lot of equipment in Europe we only dream of here is the good old USA  ::)!  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

Log-it-up

Quote from: rusticretreater on July 27, 2022, 08:43:49 PM
John Deere is now their own worst enemy.  They have restricted many of the parts and repair pipelines to their dealer network who are unable to respond to elevated customer needs during key times. 

Right on with this for John Deere in all division's they have discontinued a lot of parts for equipment kinda find it hard to believe they can't manufacturer parts for equipment that's within 25 years old and still turn a profit there still a lot of old iron still running,but they will gladly sell new

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: Log-it-up on July 27, 2022, 09:23:29 PM
Quote from: rusticretreater on July 27, 2022, 08:43:49 PM
John Deere is now their own worst enemy.  They have restricted many of the parts and repair pipelines to their dealer network who are unable to respond to elevated customer needs during key times. 

Right on with this for John Deere in all division's they have discontinued a lot of parts for equipment kinda find it hard to believe they can't manufacturer parts for equipment that's within 25 years old and still turn a profit there still a lot of old iron still running,but they will gladly sell new
I don't think that's just Deere. In a way I understand. It used to be the same part would work on many things for many years today things are getting very special and specific. Hard to keep all that going. And they have to change things otherwise they'd sell less new. People want something different and if they can't have different why buy new.  

rusticretreater

From what I have read is that the independent repair people who provide all manner of services to the farmers cant get the parts or information needed to diagnose the machinery because they are out of the loop.  The same thing was happening with the car industry and folks made them change it.

Iowa, U.S. farm groups file a federal right-to-repair complaint against Deere to fix their own tractors
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: rusticretreater on July 27, 2022, 11:01:34 PM
From what I have read is that the independent repair people who provide all manner of services to the farmers cant get the parts or information needed to diagnose the machinery because they are out of the loop.  The same thing was happening with the car industry and folks made them change it.

Iowa, U.S. farm groups file a federal right-to-repair complaint against Deere to fix their own tractors
We have a separate dealer for our dirt and forestry equipment and separate for the farm stuff. I've always heard good things about our forestry dealer. Other than they are always short handed but who isn't these days. 

chevytaHOE5674

Pretty quick it will be nothing but Ponsse UP here. I don't think its that their equipment is superior to the others I think it is the fact that Ponsse US headquarters is 90 miles away and stocks enough parts to build a machine and has fantastic parts and service staff that go above and beyond to keep guys running.

Let's face it everything breaks down and needs parts and service at some point. So around here guys are choosing to go with the brand that gives them the the best of both.

Used to be a lot of JD and Komatsu equipment around. But in dealing with both the JD and Komatsu dealer I can see why people don't want to buy from them and then be stuck dealing with them for parts and service.

barbender

Yep that's how it is here too, Chevy. We have a Ponsse shop right in Grand Rapids, MN, which is central to our timber producing region. They don't have a competing interest of a much larger construction division like the Deere dealer. I don't think there is a lot that is inherently superior on a Ponsse vs a Deere, either. But they will do their best to get you running.
Too many irons in the fire

Riwaka

As well as parts and service, training is another aspect of the more complex harvesters/ forwarders etc.
Ponsse - (2021) 6 company simulators in the USA plus college. 

Sweden, there is a reduction in forwarder numbers as they are converted to scarifiers and other uses.
Komatsu Forest, new factory, Umea, Northern Sweden, (2021) https://www.komatsuforest.com/about-us/production-facility
Bracke scarifier on 895
Bracke T35.b 3-row Trencher - YouTube

Logmax heads Factory - owned by Komatsu Forest. Grangarde, South central Sweden. Northwest of Stockholm.
Besök i Log Max-fabriken - YouTube

John Deere Finland Factory is the old Timberjack factory in Joensuu, Eastern Finland.
John Deere Forestry factory tour in Joensuu, Finland - YouTube

Logset (mid- western Finland - Kvelax, near Vaasa)Hybrid harvesters, additional electric motor/ battery system gives power boost and fuel saving.(Former JD engineers on the team)
Logset 12H GTE Hybrid Demo Skåne - YouTube

Sampo Rosenlew - Pori, SW Finland video of factory and out in forest (Agricultural machinery/ combine harvester maker Sampo Rosenlaw is making a few forest machines 10, 12, 14 ton forwarders and 46K lb wheel harvester etc - rotating cabs.
Suomalaisia metsäkonevalmistajia - Sampo Rosenlew - YouTube

Logging in Germany with JD part1 (Haas promo)12 minutes
John Deere Forestry Equipment | Forestry with Haas Maschinenbau Part 1 | Harvester & Forwarder - YouTube

Logging in Germany with JD part2 9 minutes. Remote control Timberjack winch unit.
John Deere Forestry Equipment | Forestry with Haas Maschinenbau Part 2 | Uni Winch / Forwarder - YouTube

Firewoodjoe

I seen the last two. 80,000 hours is really something!

Thank You Sponsors!