iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Barbolt

Started by Fiffik, August 17, 2022, 09:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fiffik

Hi all!
Having a tough time finding the length of a 550xp m2 barbolt.
I cant find info anywhere and I dont want to remove one to measure if I dont have to.
The reason why I need the length is I would like to put on clutch side felling dogs but the studs are too short. If I knew the length it would be easier to order a longer size.
Pls help

Guydreads

I don't know the specific size, I'm going to look it up in just a second here, but one thing you could do a really long stud then cut it down to length with either a cut off wheel, a reciprocating saw, or a jigsaw.

Guydreads

I just looked and  I see no indication anywhere of a different size. @Spike60 can you help us with this? Thanks

Spike60

They don't come in different sizes, just by part number. Other bar studs from larger saws may or may not be longer, but then you need to consider the diameter/taper and whether the square end will fit properly in the case. Try and force something through and the case might decide to crack. :( Shouldn't really be thinking in terms of an over the bar stud style dog anyway.

All small mount clutch covers are interchangable between the early and late 545/550 and 555/560. (and the Jonsered versions of these saws) They only differ in the 5 different colors. There is an outside dog kit for the 555/560 that will bolt on to your cover. The covers are already molded on the inside to accept the little lock nuts. All you need to do is open them up with a 5mm drill. Looks a little goofy as the 2 dogs are different and don't match point to point, but it works.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Fiffik

Thank you Spike60 and Guydreads for the help.
I had bought 550 dogs off of Ebay, they are alittle thick, the case dog fits fine but the one on the clutch cover being the way it is- the bar nuts wont thread all the way and may strip.
Just a heads up if anyone you may run into looking to do the same thing.

Thanks again fellas!

Spike60

Part number for that kit is 577 014 003; $40. Backordered until late Oct like a lot of other stuff. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Skeans1

Quote from: Fiffik on August 18, 2022, 09:43:32 AM
Thank you Spike60 and Guydreads for the help.
I had bought 550 dogs off of Ebay, they are alittle thick, the case dog fits fine but the one on the clutch cover being the way it is- the bar nuts wont thread all the way and may strip.
Just a heads up if anyone you may run into looking to do the same thing.

Thanks again fellas!
Are you putting the dawg on the inside of the cover or the outside? Correct position is on the outside it shouldn't cause any issues with the bar stud.

sawguy21

I believe he is concerned that with the outer dawg in place there won't be enough thread left to secure the nut. This style doesn't secure to the cover with screws.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Spike60

I understand what he is saying, but the proper OEM outer dog has nothing to do with the bar studs. It is supposed to bolt to the side cover. It's not like a 372 where the outer dog goes over the bar studs. Whatever was purchased on e-bay must be some aftermarket idea that wasn't very well thought out. Also don't see how the captured bar nuts would work with this gimmick. But we really don't even know what we are dealing with here without actually seeing it. Maybe contact the seller and he'll say something like, "just run it without a bar and you'll have plenty of thread to work with". :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Thank You Sponsors!