iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ID old Rockwell shaper

Started by trimguy, November 09, 2022, 12:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trimguy

I have an old shaper that the spindle bearings are no good on. The serial number tag is in place , but the tag with the model number is gone. I want to get it fixed so I can set one up to run tongues and one to run the grooves on some flooring I'm going to make. Anyone have an idea what the model number is so I can look for parts ?

I can get more pictures if needed. 

btulloh

If you only need bearings those could be obtained through your local bearing supply as standard items. Number should be on the bearing or measure with a dial caliper to match. 

Sorry, I'm no help on the ID though. 
HM126

Old Greenhorn

I am thinking it might be a 43-120. LINK FOR PARTS LIST. It appears that there is an assembly for the spindle bearings. You may have to take that apart to replace the bearings and I don't think it was designed for that. But you have it in your hands and can figure it out. That's a nice machine!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Ljohnsaw

I have one of those.  Great machine.  Made a lot of T&G cedar for my brother's sauna.  I have the same SN tag on the back by the motor, no model number tag or any place for it.  On the front is a badge Homecraft by Delta with the same tag on the motor.

When I google Homecraft Delta shaper I find the 43-110 that looks the same as yours/mine.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

rusticretreater

I agree. Its a Rockwell-Delta 43-100 series shaper.  They did make different models 100,115,120 etc. 

According to the serial number on the plate, the shaper was manufactured about 2/3 through the year of 1955 in Tupelo, Mississippi.

Here is a link to the manual: https://www.routerforums.com/attachments/rockwell-43-120-shaper-pdf.48555/
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

trimguy

Thanks everyone! ljohnsaw I have the pins on the front with no tag, I guessed that it would have had the model number on it. What size is your motor , the plate is missing off of that also ?

Ljohnsaw

My motor is only a ½hp.  I was originally going to swap it out for a ¾hp but the half does just fine.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

trimguy

kantuckid

Yes, bearings are generic. 
Before you buy them and considering the age of the machine, I'd take a close look to see if they are actually bad? Hardened greased can easily make a bearing feel bad. 
In fact, a bit of debris can make a much newer bearing feel bad & notchy.  Might clean them and save some work. If the balls & race are shiny and smooth once cleaned and smooth out, your good to go. 8) I "did" bearings for a living. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

trimguy

That sounds a little rough when it's running. If you grab the top of the spindle there is a little play side to side. I do not know for sure that it is the bearings, just guessing at this point. I did not want to start tearing it apart and have parts laying around without at least knowing what I needed to order parts for. kantuckid I may have more bearing questions when I get a chance to work on it.

kantuckid

Side play of shaft is problematic, of course. I had shapers in my shops when I worked in Vo-tech schools. KY bought PM equipment always for woods.
 For my own use in my home woodshop I prefer my router table. The cutters available and cutting speeds favor the work I do vs a shaper. I'll admit to asking my router table to do what a shaper is designed for doing though. My Freud heavy duty router is over 25 years old and still runs great after several thousands of BF of work. For really small jobs I use a cheapo hobby level Craftsman router table. Space matters in my shop as I've got lots of stuff! Just some random thoughts... :D
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

trimguy

Update 
I got it apart, and new bearings and install. Now everything seems to be working fine. They even made it look a little better. 😁

DWyatt

I never saw this post before. I have 2 of these shapers that I inherited when my Gramps passed away. They both look exactly like that. Dad swears they're nicer than his fancy Grizzly unit. I'm excited to get to use them. Gramps always had one set up for rails and the other for stiles. 

Thank You Sponsors!