iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinking of making a vertical rifle storage rack

Started by Brad_bb, November 12, 2022, 11:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Been thinking about making a rifle rack.  One to maybe mount on the wall but is like a standing rack with the butt sitting on a shelf and the rifle vertical.  Anybody else me something like that?  Some are a very simple design.  Just curious if anyone else had made a vertical storage one for one or more than one and any pics to post?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

kantuckid

Back when the USA saw many kids (mostly all boys) taking school shop in around 100% of the schools, a rifle rack as you describe was one of the more common projects. Probably even more common was a horizontal wall version that held like 4 long guns. 
My vertical one held around 6-8 long guns and had the typical one large drawer down below. I have no idea where it got to as I move on to become a lifelong shooter who hunted and shot rifle competitions. 
After losing my entire collection from a home burglary in KS in 1969, I never kept a gun not in a safe or my direct possession ever again and to this day! 
When I was in Texas in the Army, I was astonished at the fact that most every Texan had a rifle in their PU's rear window, not than many didn't do so in KS too. 
Personally, I'd not choose to make one based on security towards theft and my grandkids being around.  ;) 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

doc henderson

I also have several but not real pattern.  I bet you can find ideas and adjust it to fit the guns you plan to display.  I have pellet and bb guns on one in the shop.  all others are in gun safes.  out of sight.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

thecfarm

kantuckid, I remember the horizontal gun rack in my parents bedroom.
Us kids was not allowed to touch the guns. I don't think I held a rifle in my hands until I was 16. Yes that is correct. My Father did all the shooting.
We were not even allowed anything with a gas motor either. But that's another story.  :D
We were taught not to touch them and respect them. I keep my Grandmother's 22 in the corner of the garage. I use it to shoot varmints. Stepson has a fit about it because it's not locked up. Thinks it's unsafe. Grandson has a hard time walking by it without wanting to touch it. I have to speak to him every time to leave it alone. He was never taught not to touch guns. The grandson probably shot a gun at 10 years old. 
Grandson is now 25 years old.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

I have seen many vertical giun cabinets as you describe. Most I remember had a glass front/doors and the drawer on the bottom. I don't own or have a picture of one.

I have several horizontal gun racks made of scrap lumber and cut off 3/4" wooden dowels with rows about 3" apart. I mount them on top of the inside door facing of the closets. Each holds 3-4 long guns. They are out of sight, not readily accessible to children but the lower gun is readily available to an adult if needed.

I am a big believer in teaching gun safety, including use, at a very young age. First and foremost is they should be taught to always assume and treat every gun as it it is loaded. I got my first gun, a used 20 gauge Remington 870 wingmaster pump when I was 7 years old. It still works fine and is a prize possession of mine.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Tom King

I still have the Stevens youth single shot .410 that I was given when I was 9.  I shot a copperheads head off with it a couple of weeks ago.

I was given a gun to tote hunting with the men when I was a couple of years younger than that, and had to learn how to handle it safely hunting in the woods before I was ever allowed to handle a loaded one.

I remember one day I was hunting about that age with the new gun.  I came up on a bunch of men cutting pulpwood in the woods.  I had a hunting coat that I was proud of.  It was several sizes too big for me to "grow in to".  I had to roll up the sleeves.

The men laughed heartily when I walked up to them.  They were hooting and hollering, "Look.  Tom's done been out hunting-HA, HA, HA."

They stopped laughing, and their eyes got big, when I asked them if they wanted some rabbits, and started pulling them out of the game pocket inside my coat.

RichTired

I like the gun rack at the Mayberry jail. Always had six guns in it. A few shotguns and a few rifles and of course, Barney's riot gun... :D
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

kantuckid

Quote from: thecfarm on November 13, 2022, 08:16:02 PM
kantuckid, I remember the horizontal gun rack in my parents bedroom.
Us kids was not allowed to touch the guns. I don't think I held a rifle in my hands until I was 16. Yes that is correct. My Father did all the shooting.
We were not even allowed anything with a gas motor either. But that's another story.  :D
We were taught not to touch them and respect them. I keep my Grandmother's 22 in the corner of the garage. I use it to shoot varmints. Stepson has a fit about it because it's not locked up. Thinks it's unsafe. Grandson has a hard time walking by it without wanting to touch it. I have to speak to him every time to leave it alone. He was never taught not to touch guns. The grandson probably shot a gun at 10 years old.
Grandson is now 25 years old.
I grew up in a "gun culture" back when it was quite common to be hunting before age 16 with your own gun. I was trained and trusted to be safe as were my buddies I hunted & fished with.  In KS back then we shot jackrabbits for 10 cent bounties, along with crows same price, fox & coyote's were a couple of bucks for the ears, paid at the county courthouse. It helped pay for a box of .22 shells or box of shot shells.
In 1064 at Ft Leonard Wood I was riding in a car with a buddy in advanced training and he'd stop for roadkills in MO to take back to Iowa for bounty money-I remember him saying a fox was $8. 
 When the inexpensive and simple, "Lee Loader" to hand load shot shells was invented, I was loading my own shells before age 16 in the 1950's. It's still a brand of reloading stuff, I think. I first shot competitively in the 5th grade at the Topeka, KS police station in a Saturday league. I was 11 or 12 yrs old? 
They provided everything except hearing protection. Instruction, shells and guns and the range and league. I could go on far longer on the subject.  

kantuckid

Barney was not so great at handling a revolver, thus Andy gave him one shell when he chose. 
Side story: I worked with a guy in grocery store who looked like Barney and was a PT deputy. We called Him Barney behind his back.
One large and important point is that not every kid or adult is a suitable candidate for gun taring nor use or ownership. Our society has taught us some very sad lessons on that one.
 I absolutely do not choose to turn this thread in that ugly direction, just hoping to make a very important point that (responsible themselves, of course) adults should always be the deciding factor in regard to firearms.

An older 1st cousin, as a kid in the 1940's, accidently shot another kid at a long distance (other side of the Kansas/Kaw River) and that kid was a crippled walker the rest of his life. The kid that got shot was older than me as was the cousin. I knew the guy who was shot as he was a game warden in my locality of KS. I'll leave out the names. That cousin was mostly raised by my own Mother and her Mom as the WWII was going on and the mother had left him as it were. he went on to become a Navy frogman (before the SEALS) then a long career in the USAF. I'm sure he never was comfortable with the fact he shot someone.   

gspren

At our mountain hunting camp there is a vertical gun rack built on one wall, it is basically a wooden shelf about 10" X 10' at table height. Above the shelf there is a 2" X 2" running parallel to the shelf with 1/2" wooden dowels spaced to lean the barrels into, don't remember the height of the 2x2 but it's a 1/2" too high so with lever guns you need to set the butt on a box of ammo or piece of wood. This is only used during hunting season while people are in camp. Built over 60 years ago so I wasn't very involved with design or construction.  
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

doc henderson

A good high school buddy Barry had an older brother.  his older brother went out rabbit hunting with 22s with another eagle scout from the troop named Jim.  Barrys dad was an eye doc and not into guns or hunting.  his older brother as told by Jim leaned the gun against a tree and it went off and he was shot in the head.  he died.  Jim was never the same.  Barry was never the same.  his parents divorced.  i see Barry at the reunions and it does not come up.  He does Christion video producing in OK.  My dad was a military policeman in the army.  He told us not to touch, and it did not matter if parents were home or not, we did not touch.  later we were properly trained and could carry and hunt.  I was in my mid teens before i could take a gun and go out by myself or another person my age.

Brad_bb

Sparked all that convo and not a single pic... :-\
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

beenthere

Vertical gun rack, just drill holes and put in pegs. 

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

trimguy

I found some pictures. This is not mine , it's I a house I worked on a couple of years ago.

trimguy

rusticretreater

Wow, I think that would qualify for some government surveillance lists.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Texas Ranger

Not very crafty, but keeps them locked up and off the concrete floor.

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

coalsmok

Here is one I built. Guns are flat along the wall to make it flush with the door facing of the closet it's in. Shelf below the guns to store open ammunition boxes for each gun.  
Please for my wife's sake pretend this photo shows a neatly organized closet along with the rack.

Thank You Sponsors!