iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

?Would y'all be interested in a forestry bug, disease or disorder of the day?

Started by caveman, December 11, 2022, 01:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

Southern Pine Beetle is correct.  
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/IN333 
The first time I saw the destruction caused by SPB was the first time I took a group of students to FFA Forestry Camp in 2001 at O'Leno State Park near High Springs, Fl.  Many longleaf and loblolly pines that were likely planted during the 30's by the CCC men were dying after an infestation.  A year or so later, a bunch of returning campers were tasked with replanting the area behind the cabins.  I looked at the progress and growth of those trees last summer while I was there.

We get ips engraver beetles in most of our sawlogs if we let them sit around for more than a few days.  Thankfully, I do not see SPB's often.
Caveman

Don P

I spent the summer of '76 working in the state parks for YCC. That was fun and educational, that was part of my education unfortunately.

customsawyer

Caveman you are right that the Lobs that I took out were beetle killed. However as it has been said before they were under stress. Between my frequent little bon fires and the damage I cause driving equipment under them keeps some under stress. I lose some in my other patches of timber across the creek but it is less than half of what I lose in front of the house.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

caveman

There should be enough here.  Generally, this one appears grey as in the bottom picture.  This one too is usually associated with stress, but it is not on pines.

Caveman

Don P

caveman

It is fungal.  The same genus of fungi evidently can get on several types of trees in addition to oak.  I usually find it on laurel oak and water oak during the spring or early summer after an extended dry stretch.  It will get on elms, pecans, beeches and even live oak occasionally.
Caveman

Don P

It looks like nectria to me, which may be too much like saying "hey you". It is a genus of the ascomycete fungi. Species, not a clue. In beech, nectria coccinea var faginata follows beech scale.

Or, I'm all wet  :D

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

caveman

I apologize for the poor specimens.  I'll try to get some better pictures tomorrow.  The bottom one, I'm almost certain is hypoxylon canker (of oak).  Hypoxylon will also kill the trees I listed above.  I'll go walk around a few minutes and see what I can find while I wait for a fellow to come pick up live oak flooring.
https://tfsweb.tamu.edu/uploadedFiles/TFSMain/Manage_Forest_and_Land/Forest_Health/Stewardship/Hypoxylon_Canker.pdf
Caveman

caveman

I did not get far on my walk when I had stuff crop up that needed my attention.  No new hypoxylon pics tonight.  To me it looks like the bark is displaced by a grey, flat topping.  Tree death usually is not far behind.  
Caveman

caveman

This one should be familiar to most.  
  I occasionally let a couple of these loose in my classroom.  Previously, I'd let a couple go in the school's administrative office.

Caveman

customsawyer

I have no clue but I know that this thread would be right in Tom's wheel house.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Don P

doc henderson

locust or Circadia.  Libby will run it the yard, and get them in her mouth and bite once and spit them out dead.  she apparently does not appreciate the music they make.  the used to scare my son so much, I am surprised he did not damage himself trying to run away.  great memory of summers in the heartland.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

caveman

I've had them fly into a running circular saw while cutting fiberglass and I've also seen them fly into a running tile saw while it is cutting tile.  I suspect the frequency of the noise of these machines is close enough for them to think love is in the air. https://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/misc/bugs/cicadas.htm

Depending on the species of cicadas, according to the source above, they can live from four to 17 years but only survive as adults for a short time (weeks).  They spend most of their lives underground.
Caveman

caveman

Today's disorder is an invasive plant that is especially problematic in parts of southwestern Florida.  Ian will probably know it right off the bat.  It was planted in swamps to dry them out.  A very close relative is the ornamental plant called bottlebrush.

Bark, seed pod, leaves and twig.  The bark has a paper-like texture.
Caveman

customsawyer

Don thanks for that ride down the back road. Those guys are a lot of fun to read.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

caveman

I agree, thank you.  I did not have time to real all of the pages but I did enjoy reading the posts from some of the icons that helped make this such an incredible forum.
Caveman

Don P

Thanks for sending my mind there  :)

Is this a potential biodiesel?

Don P

Wax tree?

Dragging us backwards, I got a good shot of oak timberworm damage, this one really shows the blast of multiple sized holes.

caveman

I'll let this invasive tree species run for a day or so.  I'll be at the Florida State Fair until next Wednesday, so I probably won't have time to post much.  

Do any of you wonder why so many critters are so determined to destroy our lumber?
Caveman

Don P

Melaleuca, paperbark?
melquild.0x1800.jpg (1391×1800) (ufl.edu)

If there is food, there is a mouth to feed  :).

Speaking of good eats, I haven't been to a state fair in too long. We think we get around, the Columbian Exposition in Chicago, I think around 1898, the first fair that could run at night, the lightbulb made its debut. About 1/4 of the country went, wow. Have Fun!

caveman

You got it, DonP.  I try to avoid the midway and usually stay pretty close to the animal barns (we have students with animal projects).  I do go down and look at the woodworking exhibits and take a walk through Cracker Country.

This is all I have on this insect caused disorder.  It may appear as a mass of pitch from an injury to a pine tree, grey/white/black moth, or the larva.  Longleaf pine cone below.

Caveman

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

caveman

Yessir.  https://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/trees/pine_coneworm.htm

I suppose the features on these pine logs could be considered disorders.  The features on the cypress could also be considered a disorder.  I took these pictures as the forestry museum in Perry, Fl back in November while the FFA Forestry team was competing.

Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!