iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

help on sawhead up & down travel

Started by bruce29, March 08, 2010, 08:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruce29

I am in the process of building a bandmill & am at the point of motorizing the saw head to travel up & down. I plan to use a 12 volt dc motor & chain & sprockets to accomplish this but am concerned about the head drifting down after stopping it in the correct position.Does anyone have any ideas on this problem or know how other mill manufactures accomplish this?

pineywoods

Rig the head up-down switch to short directly across the motor when in the neutral position. Serves as an electrical brake. Been used on woodmizers for 30+ years..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

bandmiller2

Welcome Bruce,I've probibly repeated this five times over the years but an alternative to electric is hydraulic. Drive a small hydraulic pump from the engine on the carriage use it with a hyd. motor and drum to feed, and a hyd.cylinder and wire cables to raise the saw assembly,it works for aerial ladders and bucket trucks.Electrics work but require a good alternator to keep up.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bruce29

what type of motor do they use? does this method of electric brake draw alot of current? AS far as using hydraulics ,I am using a seperate power unit for all other sawmill functions(log loader , turner , head travel, clamps, etc,) , but I did not want the extra expense & maintance of a hydraulic hoes carrier & the extra plumbing invoved.

Magicman

The shunt on the up/down motor will stop it, but really is not a brake to hold it and prevent creep.  A worm gear is the answer to prevent creep.  You can't turn a worm gear with the driven gear.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ladylake

Quote from: Magicman on March 08, 2010, 09:38:31 PM
The shunt on the up/down motor will stop it, but really is not a brake to hold it and prevent creep.  A worm gear is the answer to prevent creep.  You can't turn a worm gear with the driven gear.

Right, my B20 has electric up and down driven through a worm gear box, motor and gear box are 1 unit. There is no creep and the alternator on the 27HP Kohler and the Isuzu diesel that I put on keeps up just fine.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!