iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forester ?

Started by rbarshaw, May 12, 2011, 08:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbarshaw

My neighbor is planning on having a logger take some trees off his land. Would it be something a forester should be involved in? Does the size of the property matter, what's too small? etc;
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

bill m

What are his future plans for the property? If he wants it to remain in forest products production he should have a forester at least look at it ( even if it is only an acre or two).
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

WDH

He should have a plan.  Unless you are very experienced, selling timber is a very infrequent activity for most landowners.  It pays to get advice and counsel. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ron Scott

Yes, get the advice of a professional forester no matter what the acreage. If the area is too small for timber management, they will advise you accordingly and help you determine what your best options are to meet your mangement objectives.
~Ron

rbarshaw

Thanks all, I got the name of a local pro. forester by searching the forum, and gave it to my neighbor to contact him. This forum is the best ;D.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Ron Scott

There also might be a local Conservation District forester or DNR Service forester that can provide some initial help to get started in the right direction.
~Ron

Pullinchips

I agree a call to a forester will be the first thing. He can probably swing in or tell the guy over the phone what he should do if its not something that is worth his expertise. When i say this im talking about here in the south a 1 acre lot of natural pine, regarless of size is not worth anything, you may have to give it to someone to cut it. We dont have the walnut and veneer and peeler oaks like you do in Penn and other NE states.

The best option if its small is to call the SC forestry commission. It is part of your tax dollars. A consult site vistit and management plan is free from them. Granted you need to get in line. But if all he wants is some direction they can give it. Even down to giving cut advice etc and will point you to a forester or just tell you something like if you can get $500 take it.
Resident Forester
US Army Corps of Engineers: Savannah District

Clemson Forestry Grad 2004
MFR Clemson University 2006
Stihl MS 390

Thank You Sponsors!