iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

10' X 12' Timber Frame Shed (Raising the Frame)

Started by jander3, August 27, 2011, 10:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jander3

Planned to have this shed finished last spring.  Just pegged the first bent today.    Should raise the shed in a few weeks.

Neighbors keep coming by an asking, "What, exactly, are you building?   Sure looks like too much work!"  My reply, "Beats sitting on the couch and drinking Tequila."  

Brad_bb

It always seems that way to outsiders.  I think it's just people's lack of experience with a chisel.  If you had to use only a chisel for mortise and tenons, no saw, no auger bits etc, I think that is how people picture it - using only a chisel.
  Looks like you are a quick learner.  Did you draw/design the frame yourself or did you get some consulting.  If you have a pic or sketch of the frame, please post.  What is the end use of this shed?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

thecfarm

Looks good. Just tell him to go back inside to watch TV.  ;) I like to be outside doing something. Lots of people have the thought that if they don't do it,why would anyone want to do it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jander3

Brad,

I made up the design with Google Sketchup and Timber Frame Rubies.  Jim Rogers helped me figure out that the loads would be OK.   

The SketchUp file is posted on the forum at the following url:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,49542.0.html

craigc

I am building a 12 x 18 shed in my back yard and get people walking by and stare.  Last night my daughter was outside and heard a couple say over and over ' that is the prettiest shed".  She came in smiling with that story.
Rottne SMV, Timbco with Logmax 9000, JD 540B Grapple.

jander3

I finished most of the preps, I have a few loose ends to wrap up.  Then, I can make a gin pole and get this thing raised, probably next week. I even have some help lined up to raise the shed. Actually having a few spare hands on raising day, well, that should make things somewhat easier than figuring a way for one guy to tackle this job.

Cutting the plates.

Pegging Bent Number 3.  I, do so, love the truck straps.

Three bents were assembled, pegged, and staged for raising. 

ljmathias

Looks great!  From the pictures, appears to be fine work on the joints.

Do you have a hoist and tackle for the gin pole?  How high do you plan on making it?  Jim Rogers had a thread on this a while back, made a very interesting set up for his gin pole, as I recall.  Might want to look it up.

I wanted to use a gin pole on the single bent we raised in my daughter's house but chickened out at the last minute- it was just me and her with a full two story bent that probably weighed in at a ton.  Ended up using a telescopic fork lift rated at 3 ton to gently raise it up and position it- worked great, and very efficient.

Best of luck- wish I was there when you raise it.  What day you planning for?

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Brad_bb

I'm thinking for the size(as long as they are softwood and not so green that they weight a ton with water, you could get 6-8 guys and hand raise with pike poles and ropes to steady.  Make a little event of it.  What do you think?  A rough terrain forklift could do the job too.  Or do you WANT to make a gin pole.  A gin pole has to be green you know... ask Rooster.

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

jander3

Brad,

I will probably hand raise the bents as they are pretty dry.  The 14' 6" x 8" plates and ridge were recently cut, so I will set up a gin pole to get them installed.

ljmathias,

Purchased quite a bit of rigging (slings, shackles, rope pullers, etc.) to build the Stump Ranch.  I will use a 16' gin pole (modified a bit) to lift the plates.  Pretty straight forward.   Block and tackle, with a rope puller to control the booming of the pole, and a chainfall to do the lifting. Setup takes maybe 20 minutes (after I haul my rigging into town).

Rooster

Jim,

Brad was referring to my past learned experiences.  I prefer to use 35ft Red Pines for my gin poles.  A few years ago, I had cut a new tree for a barn raising, peeled it and let it sit for about a month. I raised 5 bents with help from my team of Percheron draft horses. After the raising I stored the pole inside for 4 years.  When I took it out to use it again for another barn raising it had obviously dried out.  When we started the first lift  the pole bowed alot...way more than the first time 4 years prior.  I was concerned that it would snap so we dead-lifted the bent by hand as far as we could and then let the horses take over.  I believe that when the pole was green, that it did bow but not enough to notice...once it dried out, it became somewhat brittle.  It is now my policy to cut a new tree for each raising.  If my raisings were more often and closer together than I might re-use...but this way I don't have to store it until next time.  For smaller structures like jander3's, with lighter bent frames, a shorter reusable pole would work, but for lifting a canted purlin system that has a starting pick point height of 14ft, then I like the larger gin poles.

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

losttheplot

A small, reusablel gin pole / A frame.

Made from a couple of 14ft 2x8's and some other scraps.
Lagged to a joist through a couple of hinges.

A 1/4" cable runs from a hand crank trailer winch to the top of the A frame.
Over a small pulley then down to the timber.
As the bent is raised the A frame leans against it and the bent stabilizes the a frame.
The rope is just to stop the bent going over too far. 

Add a couple of guy lines and mount it the other way and it will raise top plates also.

8x8" doug fir did not seem to cause any problem.
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

Brad_bb

Or you could do that...

Yep Rooster, I remembered that brittle gin pole we started with...

beenthere

Brad_bb
Were you at the WI barn raising in 2007?  Burlkraft, Stumpy, and I were there and Rooster had to back off lifting the first bent with the pole/horses alone.
Here is a pic of the pole I'm thinking Rooster refers to (or one very similar).

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jander3

I've found that if you use a lifting shear (a couple of poles), you can handle some fairly good sized timbers/logs using some smaller lifting poles.   If this setup was a gin pole (one pole) I would have had to use something larger for the pole. 

Anytime you use a gin pole, the load at which it buckles is a main concern.  In compression, it doesn't take much to lift a bunch.   However, if the pole buckles...that would be bad.   

Brad_bb

Beenthere, no I was talking about the Dan Busse barn raising which was in 2009 I think.  I did meet Stumpy there.

jander3

My brother spent the day with me.  We finished cutting girts, raised the bents, and installed the plates.  Tomorrow, we should get the ridge set and then, maybe, start on the rafters and roof.

A pile of rigging that I brought back from the Stump Ranch.

We set up a lifting shear using two 16' 4"x4", a chain fall, and a block and tackle set up so we could boom the shear. 

My son stopped by and we got the first plate installed. 

Three bents raised and both plates installed. 

Rooster

Too bad I didn't live closer...I would have offered to help.  Great job, by the way!

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Tullivor

Hey Jander the building looks really good.
What is the finish on the wood?  And does the wood have to be fairly dry to apply it? 
Thanks
Jeff

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jander3

Stained the aspen with a standard Cedar stain. 

Today, we installed the ridge and 1/2 the rafters.

ljmathias

Beautiful is all the comes to mind- and don't fall off the beam...   :D

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Brad_bb

So is this a tool shed?  Is the loft space for storage, or do you plan to sleep there when you're in the doghouse?

Sprucegum

Thanks for the tutorial  8)

Do the rafters meet each other above the beam?

jander3

The shed will be closed in; I will add heat and electric.  That way I can use this space as a small workshop to keep my busy during the winter months.

Rafters are 2"x6" and secured with 8" timber screws.  The rafters have bird's mouths cut at ridge and plate.  I allowed 1/2" to 3/4" space at the peak (between rafters) as the ridge log was far from straight and true.  In general I fitted rafters individually.   Next time, first thing, I will find 3 very straight and and very true logs to set aside for plates and ridge.  It will make rafter cutting so much easier.

Today, we finished installing the rafters, added some 1"x6" nailers and put up the tin.   Ordered the ridge cap, but that will take a week or two to get in.

Rafters installed and nailers for the tin.

Screwing in the last piece of tin.

Tin installed sans ridge cap

I spend three days with my younger brother putting up this structure.  Man, it doesn't get much better than that.  And, this was the first project in years where I actually had help.   A guy sure could get spoiled with an extra set of hands on the job site.

Thank You Sponsors!