The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Woodland Mills HM126  (Read 32210 times)

Offline fuzzybear

• Share Post
Re: Woodland Mills HM126
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 12:37:23 PM »
  Sorry this has taken so long. The summers are short here and every minute is counted for. 
  So...
  Sylvain and I are both stay at home dads with 3 kids each, we set this mill up with all the kids together and it only took 3 hours. So I have to figure that their claim of 2 hour set up time is accurate.
  It was a very straight forward set up. The only problems we had were very easy fixes. 
  Problem #1 was one of the back stops was out of alignment by about 1/8" forward. since the bunks are interchangeable we put it in a position that we knew he wasn't likely to use.
  Problem #2 was the screw for the dog had a large amount of splatter from the welding process, this would not allow it to move after a point, and would have stripped the threads. This again was an easy fix with a wire brush and running a die over the threads it worked fine.
   After everything was set up we put on a 14"x8' spruce log and made the opening cuts.  The machine cuts to within 1/32" of being square. Good enough for me. The boards came out as smooth as I would expect from a band mill.
   It was an experience for Sylvain. he has had many questions since putting the machine together. He learned to adjust the band tension through trial and error.
  Over all I give this machine a 9 out of ten.  A little more attention to the manufacturing/welding would have earned it a 10.  One thing I would like to see is a blade tension gauge. For a first time user it can be a little intimidating to try and find the correct blade tension on a machine like this.
  For a hobby mill this machine is worth the money. It will produce lumber that is very workable and will cost you far less than the box store lumber. Most if not all the replaceable parts we can get here in town, and that says a lot here in the north.  If you want a production machine this is not it.  This is a well designed, simple, manual, hobby mill.
FB

I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Offline hamish

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 02:45:36 PM »
Great review Fuzzy!
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Offline fuzzybear

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2012, 12:23:07 AM »
Great review Fuzzy!
Thank you. I try to call it as I see it.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Offline Happycamper

• In Memoriam
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 06:24:40 PM »
Would like to add my 2 cents about the mill. For several weeks I have been exploring small manual mills. There are many out there as we know. One of the contacts was Neil at Woodlands and he answered every question well and promptly which I appreciate. I leaned heavily towards that mill but decided not to buy for only one reason (parts), being in BC I could see waiting for parts to be able to use the mill again. Even if they were shipped promptly it still takes time and money. I feel strongly that there is good value there for the money knowing full well one would be buying a hobby mill. I wish them every success in business.
                                     Jim
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

Offline Andy White

• In Memoriam
  • I'm not so new anymore!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2013, 07:29:58 PM »
Good day from the frozen land of St. Joseph Mo.   I bought my HM126 in October 2012, and have checked and adjusted every part on this machine, and it does every thing it is supposed to do. All stops are perpendicular to the bunks , and all threads are clean and smooth. I have changed belts on it after about 35 logs. Neil has been really helpful and prompt with answers to all the questions I came up with, and has sent a new set of belts for me to try. I had that head adjuster handle moving during a cut, but did not affect the cut thickness at all. Just harder to set next cut on the scale. He and Josh talked with me by Email and traded ideas on a solution, and that problem is now solved This is a 'stand up' company that really does what they say on their website.Also they have extended the warranty to two years,and have a service package available with all bearings, guide blocks, and belts in a kit.Nice    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Offline hamish

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 07:30:29 PM »
Jim,

Unless you have one built in your backyard replacement parts will always be time and money.  Its important in those circumstances to have spares redialy available locally or stock up beforehand.  Most everything on that mill can be sourced or fabricated/repaired locally.

A thought.

Offline rimshot

• Full Member x2
  • not still new but still learning
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2013, 08:35:05 PM »
I just purchased a mill after researching several low end machines.  The Woodland showed very well and seems to serve many owners quite well.  I think it's a fair observationi to note both the mill and the Kohler engine that comes aboard the sawmill are made in China.  However unfortunate for the marketers of this mill, that is an obstacle for this company to overcome.  I dunno about some of that Chinese produced steel.  It could beat that produced in North America for all I know.  I am just talking about the way it seems to me.

It is a positive that the HM126 takes a large diameter log and I think they can handle a 12 footer with the standard bed. 
I did not notice a large price difference between the Wood Mizer competing lt 10 when ciompared wwith the Woodland model.  Just some of my thoughts about two good units.

rim
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

Offline hamish

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 11:35:16 PM »
I think it's a fair observationi to note both the mill and the Kohler engine that comes aboard the sawmill are made in China.  However unfortunate for the marketers of this mill, that is an obstacle for this company to overcome.  I dunno about some of that Chinese produced steel.  It could beat that produced in North America for all I know.  I am just talking about the way it seems to me.

Everything has to be looked at from a cost perspective.  Any difference with a Kohler made in China versus a Briggs or Honda made in China?  Very seldomly now do I see a piece of raw stock steel that is stamped Canada or USA.

Just beacuse it says Made in...........doesnt mean its garbage, for most of you on here seeing Made in France, Germany, Sweden, Canada would ellicit the same responce as made in China.

Offline customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 05:59:11 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think that the Woodlands mill is made in China.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head planer, 30" double surface planer, Lucus dedicated slaber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Offline Happycamper

• In Memoriam
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2013, 09:22:15 AM »
Yes, The motor and mill are made in China. Two year warranty on mill and 3 year warranty on motor.
                                       Jim
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

Offline customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2013, 06:44:22 PM »
As I understand it Woodlands mills, who is a sponsor of this forum, does not make their mills in China. Their mills have been copied by China and are now sold through Harbor Freight. I don't know about the engines on the mills.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head planer, 30" double surface planer, Lucus dedicated slaber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Offline HaroldSiefke

• I'm not so new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2013, 06:59:53 PM »
I have done some modifying on my HM126. The best one so far was the blade guides that I welded in place of originals. I made one that was movable. I cut alot straight boards then i use to 8) Roller blade guides are the way to go.

Harold

Offline Tree Feller

• Share Post
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2013, 07:01:56 PM »
Woodland Mills sawmills are indeed manufactured in China. It's stated under the FAQ's on their site. I just read it.

However, I don't view "made in China" as necessarily a bad thing. The Chinese factories generally build to the specifications they are given and if those specifications are high, the end product will be, also. The fact that they are made in China just means the cost can be kept low enough that many who normally couldn't afford a mill can do so now. That's a good thing.

The Harbor Freight mill is a general copy of the Woodland Mills version but the specs and materials are not the same quality.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Offline customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2013, 07:06:02 PM »
Tree Feller thanks for setting me strait. I stand corrected.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Offline hunterbuild

• Share Post
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2013, 09:25:02 PM »
I have the HF saw. I did a lot of research on both saws and except for a few differences (the motor) they are basically the same saw not a cheap knock off. That being said the HF has some problems with customer service. I have handled the problems myself. I'm very happy with my saw and have cut several thousand board ft, and some 20" stuff which does slow down the 7.5 hp motor! :D

Offline hackberry jake

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2013, 11:44:10 PM »
I think it's a fair observationi to note both the mill and the Kohler engine that comes aboard the sawmill are made in China.  However unfortunate for the marketers of this mill, that is an obstacle for this company to overcome.  I dunno about some of that Chinese produced steel.  It could beat that produced in North America for all I know.  I am just talking about the way it seems to me.

Everything has to be looked at from a cost perspective.  Any difference with a Kohler made in China versus a Briggs or Honda made in China?  Very seldomly now do I see a piece of raw stock steel that is stamped Canada or USA.

Just beacuse it says Made in...........doesnt mean its garbage, for most of you on here seeing Made in France, Germany, Sweden, Canada would ellicit the same responce as made in China.

Honda isn't made in China, It's made in Japan. I had a conversation with an older gentlemen the other day and he commented on my Toyota truck. He said our economy would be doing better if more people bought more American made stuff. I informed him that Toyota has been moving their factories to America while all the major "American" manufactures have been moving to Mexico, Canada, and you guessed it China. He said he would have to look into that. I haven't seen him since, but looking forward to when I do. Toyota is the most American made truck on the road today.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Offline hackberry jake

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2013, 11:51:31 PM »
I just looked up the most "American built" car... Honda Accord, second place is Toyota Camry.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Offline hamish

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2013, 09:19:30 AM »

[/quote]

Honda isn't made in China, It's made in Japan. [/quote]

Most Honda GX series motors are made in Taiwan, PRC.

Offline Woodsman76

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2013, 11:37:45 PM »
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and just wanted to say that I have been looking for a mill for quite some time to fit my budget, and after going back and forth for a month and money situation I ended up ordering this mill the Hm126 from woodland mills. I was going to buy a Norwood but again my wife had convinced me to try them out and I got to tell you for less then the norwoood lumberlite without the cost of shipping she was able to put together the woodland mills saw which come ith a free matinence kit, I bought a box of 10 blades and extra track to cut 16' with log dog, and we had also bought cant hooks, a tennon cutter for making wood furniture etc. and had paid less then the cost of the Norwood  LumberLite without shipping which was almost $500, and we spent right at $4,000.00 USD Now was that A good deal???? I don't know I sure hope so, but by judging by all the testimonies on thier site it looks like we did good. The mill will be here Friday Feb 15th and when it gets here I will do a review and upload pics and will put a video on outube there after. My wallet said I did the right thing and my wife haaaahaa more money for here I guess. But I can tell you this I definately would not of went with one of those Harbor freght machines even know I could of got it for half of the price of this mill, I believe I would of spent twice as much modding it up to be only half as good as this. I have a stack of water oaks and I believe redoaks ready to be run through the mill and I can't wait! I will keep you all posted on the new rig friday night and hope it will help someone. Thanks everyone I have been enjoying reading this site with lots of helpful posts on here. 8)

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
    • Behind the  Forestry Forum YouTube channel
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2013, 11:40:35 PM »
Congrats on the new sawmill Woodsman76!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
New Woodland Mills HM126

Started by jbjbuild on Woodland Mills

3 Replies
Last post January 21, 2018, 10:16:01 AM
by HOLTeam
xx
Woodland mills hm126

Started by 60lp on Woodland Mills

2 Replies
Last post December 22, 2013, 10:37:47 PM
by 60lp